Well, to resurrect this thread, I decided to buy a bottle. I gotta say, all you gin drinkers are missing out on a good find here. I was not expecting much more than just a novelty, but this is something I could regularly drink.

The barrel aging only imparts a very light flavor, but it compliments the gin wonderfully.

So, in closing, don't knock it till ya try it! :police:

IF anyone is interested in a sample, PM me and we can discuss.

Any of you faithful Gin and Scotch drinkers ever try this? It piqued my interest.

Never tried it. I really like Hendrick's gin. It is from Scotland and is quite the premium. EXCELLENT martini. I've not had a better gin. Comes in a medicinal like bottle. Check it out!

http://www.hendricksgin.com/

I was at a restaurant called Dakota's on the North Shore in Mandeville, Louisiana back in 2003 when I tried it. I don't really fancy it in a mixed drink though. Just for martinis.

BS"D

:dribble: MMMM....GIN.... Absolutely love it. One of my favorite cocktails is the gin & tonic. And speaking of which, does anybody know of a GOOD tonic water to mix with a gin such as Hendrick's?

I don't know of any premium tonic waters out there, per se but know that Schweppe's is better than some.

I've never used anything other than regular old corner store tonic water in my Hendrick's G&T's, and they're still the best G&T's I've had. I could be wrong, but in my experience, tonic water is tonic water is tonic water.

BS"D

Good to know...gotta get to the ol' corner store to get me some tonic water then... :devil:

Or, if you want to get ethnic, try gin and juice! :laf:

Here's one you may not think of:

Gin and Apple Cider. It really is an amazing drink. Although, the strong taste of apple cider doesn't allow me to drink too many without switching to something lighter.

I wonder how it would be mixed with hard cider?

I dirnk a lot of tonic water by itself. Big K brand tastes just as good to me as the other brands. I get it in 2L bottles for $.50 ea.

Just don't go for the diet tonic water. Blecht!

"Blecht" is right! Tonic water is bad enough on its own!

BS"D

Actually, the combination of gin and tonic gives me a hint of grapefruit; that's one of the things I like most about the drink.

One question just popped into my head. If there's London Dry Gin, are there any other types of Gin? And if so, what's the difference?

From my understanding, there are 4 main types of gin:

1) London Dry - the most popular

2) Plymouth - dry, high quality, and only made in Plymouth, UK

3) Old Tom - has some added sweetness, typically simple syrup

4) Dutch - made from malted grains, making the flavor slightly 'whiskey-like'

Sloe Gin is not really considered gin.

Edited by Shabba53

I truly love a Sloe Gin Fizz. It doesn't get much girlier than that. When I was working in Mexico, one of my duties as head DJ was to MC all club events - like the bikini and wet t-shirt contests. I used to mix up a gallon of a special juice and gin combination and get the girls loaded bfore the shows. They were usually volunteer girls there on Spring Break or something. Man... those were crazy times...

[...]

Sloe Gin is not really considered gin.

I suppose it's not.

It's a sweet gin based liqueur flavored (ideally) with whole fruit (or sloes) of the Blackthorn bush. The fruit are similar to small plums, but more tart and bitter. The pits are usually left in the fruit, so sloe gin also has a slightly almondy flavor.

Unfortunately, most sloe gin you can buy in the US has more to do with the New Jersey chemical and flavoring industry than any actual fruit.

Plymouth Gin allegedly (I haven't tried it) makes an outstanding Sloe Gin. There has been some talk that they might start importing it into the US one day.

Erik