Photo

well, looks like the flying monkeys will be shut down for awhile.

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:39 AM

According to the FAA regulations no beverages or liquids of any kind will be allowed aboard, save for baby formula which the carrier must be willing to sample in front of an inspector should the request be made, so if you are comming over, pour that green stuff in a baby bottle and call it paregoric :drunk:
Nos adepto quis nos mereo. Nos mereo quis nos adepto.

#2 ShaiHulud

ShaiHulud

Dr. Valentin Magnan wannabe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:44 AM

was this supposed to have an article attached to it or something?
Litany against fear of Absinthe - I must not fear Absinthe. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my Absinthe. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the Absinthe has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

#3 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:02 AM

no, but I just assumed that everyone read or heard about the alleged/attempted terrorist attack over in London by now. here is your link

#4 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,302 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:06 AM

Link please
"I really like depriving myself of things. It's fun! Very monastic." - Kosmo

#5 ShaiHulud

ShaiHulud

• 2,385 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:07 AM

Yikes!!! I have been out of town for a couple of days. We were taking my kids to the airport in Spokane. Strangely, they let Pensieve through security with a leatherman (no, she is not a mountain woman).

Edited by ShaiHulud, 10 August 2006 - 08:09 AM.

Litany against fear of Absinthe - I must not fear Absinthe. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my Absinthe. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the Absinthe has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

#6 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:11 AM

This refers to hand luggage only. It does not affect our service, and our courier has just collected today's shipments as usual.
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#7 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• 3,302 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:22 AM

Furthermore, it appears to be regs pertaining to UK flights. I guess.
Department of Transport

Can someone confirm it this will apply to flights within the US?

Here ya go

#8 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:24 AM

That is good Alan Moss, but I do wonder if events will snowball leading to the restrictians being applied to even checked luggage. I wonder what Ldf's take is on this as they too ship out of the UK. I don't think those restricitions apply as of yet to Domestic flights or flights departing North America.

#9 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:26 AM

Answering Elfnmagic:

See this.

"Accordingly we are raising the threat level, or we have raised the threat level, with respect to aviation in general, to High, or Orange. That will cover all in-bound international flights, other than flights from Great Britain, and it will cover all flights within the United States itself.

We're taking some additional specific steps. In light of the nature of the liquid explosive devices which were designed by the plotters, we are temporarily banning all liquids in carry-ons in aircraft cabins. That means no liquids or gels will be allowed in carry-on baggage."

The Wikipedia home page has links to the story, and all the relevant aspects, as it develops.

#10 Ari (Eric Litton)

Ari (Eric Litton)

Meega, nala kweesta!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:30 AM

From what I understand everyone was forced to put most of their carry on in their checked luggage. Unless the flying monkeys book commercial flights and personally babysit our box there probably isn't a problem. Most shipped packages fly on a stripped down plane meant to carry a pilot and a bunch of boxes.

Although this might put those looking to bring back a couple bottles from the duty free store under a bit more scrutiny.
"Oscar Wilde once traveled to an all-cat dimension and appeared on the Late-Late Show with Catman O'Brien."

#11 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,725 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:38 AM

Even so, if you pack it up well, and put it in checked luggage, it should be fine.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#12 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:48 AM

Hopefully all will be well and the monkeys will be flying as usual. :cheers:

#13 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:53 AM

But maybe you should order now, just in case ....

That is good Alan Moss, but I do wonder if events will snowball leading to the restrictians being applied to even checked luggage.

Maybe that's just the salesman in me coming out!

#14 Wild Bill Turkey

Wild Bill Turkey

Exigez le mot Turkey

• 2,019 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:28 AM

Shipped goods will most likely never be effected by this. As Ari pointed out. the vast majority of shipped goods are transported by aircraft which carry only cargo, and are not targets for terrorism. Stopping the shipment of all fluids would bring international trade to a standstill. It isn't going to happen.
"I'm always amused when a member incorporates a quote from another member into their signature." - fpb

#15 TrainerAZ

TrainerAZ

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:48 AM

I tend to travel extra-light so I can carry everything on the plane with me. Looks like I'll have to carry clothes only, and flying monkeys everything else (electric shaver, toiletries, vitamins, flask o' comfort, etc.) ahead to the hotel.
bacon's great, but i'm more of a sausage eater. - CG

#16 MMarking

MMarking

Resident Francophile

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:29 PM

They take our shoes and now they want to take our shampoo, conditioner, liquid make-up, cologne, latte...If I have to check everything in a bag, I better damn well be guaranteed that it will arrive at the same airport that I do, WHEN I do!

When they temporarily banned knitting needles, I got really pissed. Like I was gonna commandeer aircraft with a #2 circular needle? Not bloody likely...

Rant over. Carry on.
Good friends are the family you wish you had been born into.

War is not the answer, for only love can conquer hate.
Marvin Gaye

#17 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,217 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:38 PM

GreyTail, just clarifying that "flying monkeys" refers to courier companies, not individuals traveling. ;)

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#18 Jane Avril

Jane Avril

• PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:44 PM

:laf:
Damn! Now my traveller fountains are useless for flying.
Lizard licks his eyeball. -- Burt Bacharach

#19 TrainerAZ

TrainerAZ

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:44 PM

Um, nice word filter, Hiram, but the point was that people can transport their assorted liquid and electronic goods for less than $9 one-way by two-day Priority Mail.
bacon's great, but i'm more of a sausage eater. - CG

#20 Pensieve

Pensieve

Far fet hed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 01:21 PM

Yikes!!! I have been out of town for a couple of days. We were taking my kids to the airport in Spokane. Strangely, they let Pensieve through security with a leatherman (no, she is not a mountain woman).

I am not a mountain woman, technically it's a leatherman "Squirt", it's a baby! and I only have it because I love baby anythings, Shai bought me baby UNO cards just the other day, soo cute
"Yes, you're very smart... shut up."

#21 Guillaume Lanfray

Guillaume Lanfray

Nobodaddy's sweetheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 10:53 PM

According to the FAA regulations no beverages or liquids of any kind will be allowed aboard...

Name the movie:

"No! No liquids! I'm very allergic to them!"

#22 Julie Legate

Julie Legate

0 jobs. 2 cents

• Advisory Board
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:03 AM

I am not a mountain woman, technically it's a leatherman "Squirt", it's a baby!

But you are definitely a Montana Woman. :wave2: I've got a micra leatherman. It is even smaller than the squirt I used to have. Definitely handy to have around and oh so cute. It is the hip fashion accessory to have. Right up there with the gun rack and rifles in the pickup truck window. ;)
I am the wood nymph.

#23 ShaiHulud

ShaiHulud

• 2,385 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:10 AM

Oh crap! Now I'll have to get her one of those too.

#24 hartsmar

hartsmar

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 08:13 AM

Sure this is annoying but seriously... It's not the end of the world.
If you're travelling from say the UK to the US you're likely to be having checked luggage anyway. No big deal.

If you have transfers it's really only a good thing not having to carry around the extra weight between flights.

I've travelled a lot and I have NEVER (thank you God) had any trouble with luggage getting lost or anything like that. The worst that can happen is that it gets delayed and they bring it to your hotel or wherever you're staying.

In most cases you're even entitled to compensation through your travel insurance.

So what if you can't bring a toothbrush on the plane, or your hair-gel... It's not a fucking fashion show.

I prefer having to check all my luggage instead of getting any plane in the world blown up by a bunch of no-good idiot dumb fucks.
Der blitze ist an der flachtmatuche

#25 kellyg

kellyg

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 08:56 AM

You have to wonder if these new measures that pop up right after a conspiracy is uncovered really make flying any safer? I mean, let's be honest, there are a million ways to get something on a plane. Pretty soon we'll be lining up for colonoscopies before we're allowed to board. This is getting crazy. :wacko:

In the recent UK terror plot, the law enforcement/intelligence community did their job and the plan was foiled. To me, this seems like the defense that should be the focus. I just don't think taking away my Binaca is going to make anyone any happier.

Name the movie:

"No! No liquids! I'm very allergic to them!"

Waiter: "Water, Ma'am?"

#26 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,217 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 08:59 AM

When I went to the airport coming back to Seattle from New Orleans, I had three pieces of luggage. I said, “I want this piece to go to Cleveland, this piece to go to Toronto, and this piece to go to Florida.” The airline agent said, “We can’t do that.” I said, “Why not? You did it last week.”

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#27 ShaiHulud

ShaiHulud

• 2,385 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 12:36 PM

ba dum bump. I don't think lost luggage is the worst that can happen. Pensieve had a suitcase shredded by the machinery and the insurance barely covered any of it. Nearly a decade later I still hear about sentimental things that got "eaten by the plane."

#28 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• 3,302 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 04:48 PM

Twice now the me and the Mrs. have had luggage lost.

...one was never found.

#29 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,891 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 04:35 AM

That's it. If I fly again, it'll be with this!

Of course my MIL (11 more days :wacko: ) prefers this!

#30 Guillaume Lanfray

Guillaume Lanfray

Nobodaddy's sweetheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:22 AM

Speaking of luggage...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association