Sign in to follow this  
shinsain

Oh Dear God!

Anyone just see this????

This is *national news* about the sale of alcohol (but more specifically following a couple dumb ass college kids who bought absinthe) to minors over the internet.

Great...just what we need. MORE demonization.

Why is the media so DUMB.

Edited by shinsain

Haven't seen it, but was expecting it.

This isn't the first time absinthe and minor purchases have been mentioned.

Damn rich kids.

The iNet version,

Who is minding the kids? Not their parents (Ok so that isn't the real name of the article, but I would have to wonder about 15 year olds opening up Visa accounts ordering $100+ products and then "getting away with it")

"And some online sellers blatantly flaunt the law. One Web site says it ships "discreetly in plain packaging." It warns making absinthe is illegal, but adds: "Don't worry we don't think the Feds will shoot a stun grenade through your window for placing a little online order."

And who might those stores be? Asking google says,

Original Czechsinth

"What about those kids and their bottle of absinthe?

"It was just more of getting drunk fast and very, very drunk compared to like a beer or something like that," says Rich DiBella.

But he won't be ordering absinthe again. Not because it's illegal, but because he didn't like the taste."

Ahahaha, I guess there is use for the czechsinth sites afterall.

Of course they never mentioned that Original absinthe claims you must sign for the package and that if it was just given to the kids it's really the shipping companies fault for breaking the law.

Edit reason: fixed structure.

Edited by Ari

I rarely watch the news for the simple reason that they thrive on dirt.

Bad stuff sells, good stuff is on page seven.

What a shame.

I don't know which was worse:

The "Wine and Spirits Wholesalers of America" (the anti-"fair market" liquor lobby who want to maintain a chokehold on liquor distribution) trying to demonize online sales with their industry-sponsored survey arguing "our kids are at risk" of buying liquor online. Never mind that the parents of these kids are often the source of the credit cards or gift cards used to purchase the booze online. Nor that the parents aren't monitoring their kids' online behavior in the first place...

Perhaps worse was the wretched absinthe story. Not only were the kids lured by the god-awful movie reference to the "trippy" effects of absinthe, they bought some of the crappiest absinthe available. Then the kids conclude they won't buy it again (!) because it didn't taste good! The story suggests this ultra high proof liquor gets the kids drunk faster, but they didn't dispel the notion that the stuff is a hallucinogen. Criminy!

Then the story about the way the online vendors circumvent state laws by direct shipment via courier. This might be the worst yet, because crusading state politicians may try to curb these sales by passing even more draconian laws restricting shipping practices.

At least a triple-whammy!

Ha! When I was 17 I went to Costco in Bellevue, WA (& the one in Portland, OR) & bought my beer & wine. Never carded.

Something tells me the States will be real happy to see this blown out of proportion. They are missing out on taxes. I'm sure they will be more than happy to pass legislation to stop Internet liquor sales.

Edited by Stroller

Not to mention the intelligence of kids who watch a joke movie and actually believe what is said in it.

of course WSWA will produce an honest report that doesn't demonize online sales and will honestly point out all of the places kids could be stopped before pushing the order button. :rolleyes:

IMO unless the WSWA pushes this issue it will probably die down, as this isn't the first time this has been brought up. Although I think legitimate absinthe sites should make their "we try our best to not ship anything to minors (it's not our fault your kids are spoiled and stupid.)" type lines bigger and bolder, maybe not the () part.

Nothing new in that article. Those "OH NO MINORS CAN BUY LIQUOR ONLINE" stories have been running for years.

If anything, it's a plus on the legalization front. You have minors reporting that drinking absinthe does not get them high or cause hallucinations.

You should watch our news. We don't get any of the exciting "bad" things to report on, so we cover a lot of county fairs and people turning 100.

I rarely watch the news for the simple reason that they thrive on dirt.

Bad stuff sells, good stuff is on page seven.

What a shame.

You have minors reporting that drinking absinthe does not get them high or cause hallucinations.

You may also have kids drinking absinthe, smoking dope and eating shrooms together and reporting that absinthe is Da Ballz-Trippin' Shit.

Eating shrooms gets you to high????? I want my money back! Those chanterelles in last night dinner didn't do nothing like that for me. What about porcini? Can I get high off porcini mushrooms?

To clear this up: anything grown in poo will get you high. This includes mushrooms and absinthe.

Speaking of alcohol and minors................

Today was the first day of school. Summer is officially over for me. Once again, I must strive to teach people who worship the mental prowess of Snoop Dog and Christina Aguilera. God I need a drink..............

I agree. While I'm not a fan of either of those people, there are definitely many people with far less talent polluting the air waves these days.

I agree. While I'm not a fan of either of those people, there are definitely many people with far less talent polluting the air waves these days.
And if you believe Star or People magazines, someone is encouraging them to breed.

Selmac, nifty avatar/fountain set-up.

(Except everyone's going to think you're a Serpis slut.)

That's the fountain at Cantada II in Paris where Anthony Bourdain did that bit on absinthe with Peter. I had a good night there last winter introducing my sister to absinthe. Great (but faint) memories.

It's been about three years since I've had a glass of Serpis. Considering how much has changed in the absinthe world since then, I'm surprised that a red oil mix still maintains such popularity. I might have to pick some up in the near future. It was the second absinthe I ever tried after La Fee.