Sign in to follow this  
bifford

how comes it don't louche???

From our friends at Liqueurs de France

“Blanche Traditionelle "Brut d'alambic" 'Essai 2'

It has also been bottled without any water reduction as a full 81.3% alcohol distillate, though we have had several requests to reduce it to 60% before bottling.”

:huh:

So my question, oh Wise Ones, is - Does H20 not have the same loucheing effect at this point as in my glass? How is water added without releasing all the yummy oils??

Or

Is this one of those thing “where I’d have to be killed if you told me” like Pepsi, NyQuil, and Col. Chicken’s 11 herbs & Spices??

laf

post-679-1154231044.jpg

it's a ratio thing. The alcohol percentage must be reduced to a point where the oils come out of suspension... then yummy

You can add water to absinthe only to a certain point before the oils start to fall out of solution. That magical point varies from absinthe to absinthe depending on the amount of oils entrained and the starting alcoholic percentage. So, for the Brut d'alambic it will take more water added to get to the point of the absinthe louching.

Someone at LF '05 had trouble getting their rather full glass of absinthe to louche, I'm still not sure whether the problem was inferior absinthe or the fact that they had neglected to add water.

Look at it this way,

add water to dilute it to whatever blanche % yer used to

55, 65, 68, whatever,

then you can drip it to whatever ratio you like 3:1, 4:1, etc,

or hire a rocket scientist, he'll get bored, cuz it ain't.

Does temperature have an effect as well? A few times (in the beginning) when I didn't have my water cold enough, I got unlouched bands at the top and bottom at 1:1 ratio or so. When adding the rest of the water those bands louched as well.

Is it Fritsch (or Brannt?) that mentions diluting the spirit from the still with warm water? Or am I just all wet?

While it was kind of them to offer advice, neither Shai nor Dr. Verte resemble "Mr. Wizard."

As he was a childhood favorite, I was hoping Mr. Wizard would surface as a WS member.

Well, one thing leads to another and a trip to Bif's Profile provided a trip down memory lane. 'Love the picture, Bif.

I am NOT the one whos says:

"Trizzle Trazzle Trozzle Trome - Time for This One to Come Home"

that was Mister Wizzard

I think his name was "Tutor Turtle" - I'll Google it

B)