Sign in to follow this  
JM_DereksArt

What movie is this?

My wife and I were talking about watching HBO back in the 80's and I remembered a movie I saw and cannot place the name to. I have looked everywhere but I can't find anything - I ONLY KNOW THE PLOT!

PLOT:

Some planet, maybe Earth in the future. Sun comes out once every 7 or some weird number of years and only comes out for a very short time. They are preparing the kids to deal with the sun with goggles, sun tan lotion, and a light bank so they can see what it feels like. When the day arrives - all the kids run outside and watch the flowers bloom and whatnot. All but for one kid (a girl), who happens to be in a room where the door closed behind her and she can't open it. She has to watch the sun rays come in from a window she can barely reach and it's pretty sad. When everyone comes back inside they find she was locked up in the room on accident.

ANYONE know what this movie was?

Sounds like it should be from a series, like Outer Limits. Doesn't sound substantial enough for a feature film. You know, like "Priest decides to become pro wrestler" or "Redneck tries to get laid."

Hee Hee. Must have beaten you to it by seconds... :harhar:

I've tried several sites and P2P networks to try to find the film, but have so far been unsuccessful. I'll link it if I find it though.

I don't remember ever seeing this movie, but your recollection of the plot pointed me in the direction of Ray Bradbury. Sounds just like something he'd write. So many of you beat me to finding the film! I'm impressed! Apparently originally broadcast on PBS back in '81. I've found several educational sites that have it available for use in classroom instruction, but it isn't clear that they would let an individual "borrow" it or "rent" it. If I find a bona fide source, I'll pass it along. Better yet, if I can get a copy, I'll let you know.

The story is reminiscent of Asimov's classic "Nightfall" (except the opposite notion: in the Asimov story the sun(s) is always shining and the rare occasions when all of the suns set lead to disastrous consequences). (BTW, avoid like the plague the versions of "Nightfall" that have been filmed).

A quick seach also leads to Dean McLaughlin's "Dawn" (published in Analog magazine back in 1981). I'm more a fan of F&SF, but did read Analog here and there. Don't recall this one, but it sounds like it might be good.

As an aside, I am waiting for delivery of a rare DVD copy of "Hand in Hand" (from the old CBS Children's Film Festival television program). A great little film from the show hosted by Kukla, Fran and Ollie!

Since everyone was able to help DereksArt hopefully you can help me. As a young child I saw a movie that haunted me for years. I'm guessing a 1950's film. Set in England? Blobs hide on cave roofs and eventually above door jams and then drop on unsuspecting people and suck their bones out leaving a mass of jelly. The only time the blobs are vulnerable is when they are multiplying. At that point the lava looking blobs spit and spaghetti spills out. The hero and army finally defeat the blobs when they inject cattle with some type of vaccine and the blobs suck the cattle's bones and die. I have been driving T73 and my children crazy "for years" trying to find this move.

Does anyone have a name for this great work of art?

I think you found it!!!!!! I can't wait to watch it and see if it terrifies me as much now as it did 30+ years ago. I didn't walk through a door without looking up for several years. Thank you so much! I am so excited. Dorky but true. I have been looking for this goofy movie for years! My guys are so happy that they get to relive this experience with me! :hyper:

Nutflix doesn't have it <sniffle>

Edit: I only typed that once, but it put it in the post twice. A new form of double-posting?

Edited by TrainerAZ

On the mark, Shai. The oldest son had located the gem and had it delivered for Maggie's b'day. It was quite the surprise for her. We "enjoyed" that horror classic this afternoon. :shock:

It was everything and more! My memory was a bit off on some of the stuff but not by much. I remember the monsters looking like lava blobs and spilling spaghetti when they divided. They acutally look more like remote controlled vacuum cleaners that spill chicken noodle soup when they divide. The dialogue was wonderfully stilted and they wasted no time on needless exposition. B)

That sounds like an excellent idea to me. I hope you have the archaic device known as a VHS machine. This classic is not available on DVD. We will be in Zoo Town the weekend of Sept 1st and 2nd to see a friend's production of "Reefer Madness". Perhaps we can arrange a green hour and a movie?

You probably have local options, but if you need it converted to DVD, let me know. I can make a transfer and get it back in the mail in a day.

Island of Terror is available on DVD, but not in the American region. It's the French/UK region.

That's a shame, as I can make DVDs from US regions that often have other regions, but it also has to have US. I don't have the equipment to transfer from VHS to DVD, just DVD to DVD. It IS available on VHS at the Amazon link above, though.

I have discovered several things about very obscure movies: If it's on DVD, you can usually find it on Amazon, and if not, contact the production company and ask them to release it in US region DVD. Also, if you find that Netflix doesn't carry a DVD, I send them the Amazon link and they tend to pay attention to the requests...I've asked for over 5 movies they have added to their library, and asked for 5 more yesterday. I'll get back to you on those....all PeeWee Herman. HA!

It's difficult to find where to request them. You need to go to the very, VERY bottom of the page and click on "Contact Us." This will bring up a page to make your recommendations, under "Title Request". You really help yourself out when you provide the Amazon.com link to the movies, but they really try.

I have found some extremely rare movies and their rarer soundtracks, by using Google and requesting DVDs and CDs out of print to get them rolling again. Amazon is not the end-all for finding rare media. B)

HEH HEH! Two of the requests are the kids' morning show. One is a concert, one is his adult show (which the kids show was based on...it's not dirty, just hilarious. The last one is PeeWee's Big Adventure.

I haven't seen the concert one, but they're all funny.