Sign in to follow this  
Auguru

Eichelberger 68 vs. Eichelberger 60

I've become a great fan of the Eichelberger 68, but am curious about the Eichelberger 60. The latter is advertised as being prepared with "fresh wormwood" (this would appear to be the A. absinthium rather than A. pontica?) and additional herbs. Before I place an order to find out for myself, are there any opinions among the WS members?

Ike 60? Never heard of it. Are you buying from Alandia?

If they use "fresh" wormwood, they might mean wormwood that isn't dried. Not drying the wormwood will REALLY make it taste like wormwood, and probably not much else. I'd be surprised if they really threw in fresh AA though.

I've only seen the Eichelberger 60 advertised on the Alandia site. Perhaps the good folks at the Eichelberger Distillery in Taxöldern produced a small batch and Alandia scooped it all up. If it is any good, or at least compares well with the Eichelberger 68, I suspect the other vendors will add it to their inventory. I'm mostly curious what difference in taste is accomplished by using "fresh wormwood". I like the bitterness imparted by the wormwood, so a stronger version might be right up my alley. Apparently additional herbs are used, but these are not identified, so it is hard to figure whether the "fresh wormwood" or the herbs make the biggest difference. Hence my original question.

FWIW, I've ordered from LDF, Markus (Lion Absinthe-Distribution), and Alandia and have been happy with all three. I know this is not the case for everyone here, so if you are considering purchasing from any of these, take a look through the forums for advice. There is plenty here.

Hopefully they meant freshly-dried wormwood, as opposed to stale wormwood.

Adding fresh herbs to a macerate would lower the macerate's alcohol percentage, as water would leave the plant material and enter the liquid. Depending upon the quantity of additional moisture added, this could significantly reduce the quantity of alcohol-soluble compounds extracted from all the herbs in the macerate, while simultaneously increasing the water-soluble compounds (think "nasties").

Here are some links to the three Eichelbergers I recently found:

http://shop.strato.de/epages/Store3.sf/?Ob...A-DE-130%5B3%5D

http://www.alandia.de/absinthe/product_inf...lberger-60.html

60-et.jpg

Edit: Updated information

According to this website there are 6 Eichelbergers!

http://www.absinth-guide.de/en/catalogue.html

Eichelberger 68

Eichelberger Blanche 58

Eichelberger Brut 80

Eichelberger Classic 70

Eichelberger Verte 60

Eichelberger Verte 70

Wow, have I been missing out. I'm sure the Deep Forest 68 Limitée is the best, but I'm curious about the others. Has anyone tried any Eichelberger other than the 58 and 68? It sucks that Alandia seems to be the only place to get the 60. The others must be confined to Germany.

Hi,

yes, there are 3 new Eichelberger Absinthe. We produced them at the end of 2006. A blanche with 80 %, a Verte with 70 and the same recipe with a wine base (limited). I was involved in all 3. My favorite is the blanche. It is more traditional than the Blanche 58.

At the moment the 3 new absinthes only are available in the shop of the Eichelberger distillery.

http://www.taxoeldern.de/shop/katalogseite01.html

Edited by Deep Forest

Can't keep up with the new absinthes.....there are just too many of them!

Deep Forest, is there an English version of your site, and do you ship to the US?

The Ike 68 is one of my all-time favorites, and I'd love to try the blanche.

No, unfortunately there is no site in English. :thumbdown:

To be honest, I have no clue if the Eichelberger distillery ships to the US. I´m just involved in the creating of the receipe and the distillation process.

But if anyone of you is interested in ordering, just write them an E-Mail, they will answer your questions. ;)

eichelberger-spezialitaeten@t-online.de

Wow! What an extensive lineup they have there. Thanks for the information Deep Forest.

My head hurts from so many choices, if I could I'd get one of each.