Sign in to follow this  
elfnmagik

Sirius vs XM

Sirius by far. It has a much better business model as well as better options in my mind. It looks to be the company that will be taking the most market share in the future. And no, it's not just the 'Howard Stern Effect'. If you like sports, they have contracts with most of the major sports leagues.

Sirius does not, as of today, have a portable receiver that can be carried like a walkman, but had one that you can transfer between the car and a boom box in your office/home. They also have a version that will allow you to record programs and take it with you.

They plan to roll out their portable player around x-mas of this year.

I've heard more complaints than compliments regarding the XM portable model.

Thanks. That is the feeling I've been getting concering the two services. I'm not looking for a portable, just the ability to use both at home and in the car. What brand/model do you have?

Yeah, I stick to my iPod. Why listen to radio when you can be your own DJ?

I have listend to XM though. I rent cars from Zipcar.com about once a month, and all their cars have XM and I really liked it. They had tons of baseball games, and actually had 3 stations I liked the music on, as well as a few good comedy stations. I've never tried Sirius, but it seems to have more of a talk slant to it, and I don't like Talk Radio for the most part, except for Car Talk. I'd never actually buy XM though, since I don't drive often. If I drove more though, I'd probably pick XM over Sirius.

FM radio sucks. There's only 2 stations in the country worth a shit, and that's KCRW in Los Angeles (Nick Harcourt's show "Morning Becomes Eclectic" is as good as John Peel's radio show) and Seton Hall's station in New Jersey is surprisingly good too (they play lots of old school punk and early 80s faves).

All I know is that I get Sirius over my Dish satellite, and it sounds like shit! Much worse than the music feed supplied by Dish itself. On the other hand, the XM in my kids car sounds alright, but it's hard to compare on that basis. I listen to the XM online as well, and that's pretty good compared to other streaming audio I've heard.

I have a Dell DJ 20 GB, which I use to carry my music. But I got the Sirius installed in my Armada because I'm on the road alot, and I like being able to listen to the same thing without having to cross into different areas. Plus, with DC traffic, you've got to have something to do!

I use Sirius for the talk, news, finance, comedy, and sports. Living in DC, it's tough to find a way to listen to the Steelers or Pens down here, but I can with Sirius.

As for the quality, it's just as good as CDs. Someone mentioned above that the quality sounds like shit must either have it wired incorrectly, or a bad antenna, because mine sounds pristine.

In regards to talk vs. music, sirius has 198 channel slots (about 150 of those are active right now). Of those 150, I would say about 30-40 are talk/comedy/news/ tv live streaming.

What about HD Radio?

It came with my new car. Meh, it'd good quality, but it's still the same old FM programming crap. I do like the scrolling info about the music you're listening to though. It kind of mimics Satellite radio in that way.

HD radio is an improvement over FM/AM, because the sound quality is better and the display will tell you song/band names and things like that, but it's not as cool as XM or Sirius because there aren't that many more stations than FM, and you can't say "fuck".

Honestly,

If it wasn't for English footy, the TdF, and a classic movie channel,

I wouldn't watch, nor pay for, TV.

Oh, and baseball, I love that xit.

If I was gonna buy one, it would have to be the XM. Only because they will broadcast real-time weather data to a compatible GPS. That's handy to have.

I have Sirius in the Car, Wife's Car, Boat, Jeep. I love it. I have the Sirius Starmate in all the vehicles and the starmate boombox that goes in the house or when i go camping. I have XM in my company vehicle and much prefer Sirius, i actually put my starmate in teh company car with XM..

Dave