Gwydion Stone

Butty La Bleues

Hey gang, I got a PM from a sincere and curious member here who wanted some input about You-Know-Who and her bargains. I put it in a nutshell for him, but further comments/assessments would be appreciated, just for the record.

I have never ordered from betty, nor do I claim to have. But I do know this: Her la bleues are hideously overpriced and are not worth what you pay for them. Furthermore, I have heard of her la bleues being 'burnt' from (take a wild guess) a certain forum member. However, if you want to order from her just to try a la bleue, that's your prerogative. The only thing I have known her to offer quasi-bargains on is her vintage. But even then, you might have better luck with oxy or someone like that.

Thats it. Best of luck dude.

With the legalization of la bleus it seems like that now or in the future you should be able to buy them at a much more reasonable cost. The possible inconsistency of unknown makers and good comercial absinthe available for half the price really makes it not worth it.

IMHO.

hey,

thanks for the input all,.....i was the curious one,as i got her price list a couple months back,and had remained baffled since i read it on how the hell she could ask such outrageous prices for just about everything on her list,especially the le bleues. after reading the list i certainly had NO intention of spending any $$$ with her,but for the life of me I honestly dont see why ANYONE would. $175 for Jades I can get cheaper from a distributor i have never had a problem getting shippments from,is just plain stupid. everything she sells appears to be priced in the stupid range,posters,spoons,EVERYTHING. i would have to agree with the shyster comment,and after re-reading her introduction and price list,i would have to say she seems to think QUITE highly of herself too. oh well,..there must be plenty of uninformed for her to leech upon,at least for now. I've noticed she never seems to make an appearence in ANY forums....hmmm,..could it be for fear of flames being hurled at her? just a thought.....anyway,.....its JADE N.O. time!! :cheers:

I got a bottle of #2 from her a few years back. It's really good, actually - but not worth $235. I've tried other #2s that weren't that good. Inconsistent at best. I guess I was lucky to get a bottle that wasn't tailsy. Verbal got to try some #2, recently. It's a couple years old, so that does make a difference. I've had the Marcus LB that tastes very similar to the #2, but not quite as good as the #2 I got from Betty. It's a few years younger, so it just may be that. I'm curious about the Alandia LB.

Yup, Jack let me try some of his 2 year old Betty #2, and it was really good. Probably one of the best absinthes I've had. It may be a little burnt, but I actually enjoy a slightly burnt absinthe, if done right. This one is, and IMHO Kübler is as well. I tried some back at LCLF as well, but I didn't like it as much. Maybe because it was a younger version. Either way, it still isn't worth what Betty is charging for it. Take $100 dollars off the price, and I'd probably order a bottle. But for now I'll stick to the Jades, BdF, or even the Kübler.

Edited by verbal_kraze

I tried some back at LCLF as well, but I didn't like it as much. Maybe because it was a younger version.

I think it was more You were the younger version.

Never, EVER, buy anything from Betty. She still owes me $35. I ordered and paid for 2 vintage samples from her a few years back and she only sent me one.

She served a purpose 5 years ago when nobody could get decent distilled absinthe aside from Segarra, but her time is long gone. Markus's LB is basically Betty's #2 at half the price, if you really want LB. And if you buy something from her, then you'll be inundated with countless emails chock full of her bullshit and pyramid schemes to front her lots of $ to hunt down vintage bottles for you.

Just watch the thirsty traveller episode about Absinthe, and you'll see who you'd be dealing with...

I believe that Thu Jong Chang may have discovered why my Betty #2 is better than the others I've tried. After more experimentation, I shall reveal his secret aging technique.

post-8-1106085869.jpg

F the sun. What you really need is one of these:

http://www.reptiledirect.com/index.asp?Pag...WPROD&ProdID=37

In all honesty, I'm not exactly sure what sun exposure does to uncoloured Absinthe. I'm skeptical as to it being either UVA or UVB exposure, since glass usually filters out ultra-violet light. What could it be from the sun then that changes some characteristics of Absinthe?

Edited by Gatsby

What could it be from the sun then that changes some characteristics of Absinthe?

I really need a sarcasm emoticon. I thought the devil would do it.

To answer your question though: while a photon of red light (at one end of the spectrum) contains too little energy to cause chemical processes to occur in most molecules, a particle of violet - not just ultraviolet - light (at the other end of the spectrum) contains enough energy to cause significant chemical damage to a typical molecule. Since sunlight contains a substantial amount of violet and ultraviolet lights, it can cause a fair amount of chemistry to occur in the molecules that absorb it. That's why colors often fade in sunlight.

Many colored molecules are relatively fragile and are damaged by photons of ultraviolet light. The portion of a molecule that gives it its color is called a "chromophore" and is usually the most fragile part of the molecule. Destroying its chromophore will often leave a molecule colorless.

It follows that other changes besides color could also result.

Based on the above info, I think that Mercury Vapor Bulb I posted should do a good job of seriously damaging some of the molecules in uncoloured absinthe. I didn't realize you were being sarcastic, given that some people expose tailsy uncoloured absinthes to days of sunlight in order to "clean up" the flavour.

Yum yum poopy brownsinthe. I love it when people do something foolish and say "oh, that was just an accident". I've done it a million times...

I really need a sarcasm emoticon. I thought the devil would do it

Nobody gets my sarcasm either.

I would recommend everyone reading my posts, begin with the phrase 'dripping with sarcasm' .