Sign in to follow this  
Arthur

May one quaff absinthe?

I have yet to take my first sip, yet alone a gulp, but the beauty of the drink makes me want to take a good slug and then smack my lips and let out a hoot of delight. Is this ever done in polite company? The gulp I mean. Tell me!

Here's my dilemma: I have foresworn all other luxuries for the purpose of purchasing absinthe. I believe my first purchase will be François Guy and Eichelberger Vert 68. Drink one and put up the other. However, due to a possible allergy to anise I may have to opt for a compromise: add Jade Eduard and ignore any allergy. In the meantime I am going for an Arak Ksarak.

John

No, no, no, don't do it. In its high proof form the flavours are trapped in the alcohol so no shooting undiluted. They (the flavours) need the water (like most high proof spirits) to come out so you can taste them. Once your drink has properly louched you will want to look and smell and taste the complexity of this beverage. Gulping will not do (and could be bad for you). Make it last, taste each sip, try to discern the flavours as they dance across your tongue. Feel the effects of this beautiful drink. Treat it like a woman (or man) you want to please and take your time.

Agreed.

Not to mention the fact that if you do decide to shoot it, you will pretty much give any objective tasting of your next drink the axe...that's why many people say not to taste the drink neat before you sample a drink first -- it "numbs" your taste so to speak.

Try your arak first. I have had 5-6 different araks, but never Ksarak so I cannot comment on its likeness to absinthe. I can tell you that Razzouk and Haddad are a very good (if one dimentional) approximation. But, that said, I have heard good things about Ksarak and El Massaya (sp) so you should be ok.

And no offense, but you're in the wrong place if you've got an allergy to anise, my friend.

I guess there's always Czechsinthe! :shock:

:cheers: - Aaron

Thanks for the advice. So verte absinthe does not taste like melted pistachio ice cream? No wonder you don't quaff.......

Er...what?

Umm, ok, you're welcome!

(Sorry if that was supposed to be humerous and I just spoiled it)

Oh, you didn't spoil it . . . Trust me, you didn't spoil it!

Arthur, if you were to go to a special dinner at the finest restaurant in town, would you gulp down the carefully-crafted morsels like a 99-cent burger from McDonald's, or would you slowly savor everything?

I know I'd take my time and enjoy the food. Going to a top restaurant is about more than slamming down calories to avoid starvation. It's about enjoying the dining experience and appreciating the chef's attention to detail and nuance.

So why would you pay $100/bottle or more, with shipping, for a fine absinthe (or other alcoholic beverage), only to slam it down like $5 vodka from the drive-through liquor store? The point of drinking absinthe is to enjoy it, not just to get hammered fast. There are far cheaper ways to do that.

You're free to spend your money any way you choose, of course, and drink your purchases however you like. It just seems silly to spend big bucks on quality liquor and shipping expenses if you just want to get wasted. And, if you gulp down someone ELSE'S expensive absinthe, don't expect to be invited back to that person's house any time soon . . .

I'll go ahead and admit it. I've quaffed absinthe. It didn't ruin anything, but it sure didn't enhance anything.

I've also sipped absinthe neat. It's not an experience I would repeat, but it was a good way to learn the exact way in which the addition of water opens up flavors.

Everyone take a deep breath now...... Well, I can assure you I would never do it. I've never done it with any liquor that's for sure but the color sure is inviting. That's why I played the child and mentioned melted pistachio ice cream. Everyone take a deep breath now.

Heh...deep breath, you're a funny guy. Do you have any idea how many heart attacks you almost caused????

These guys on here are old, little brother, and believe you me - they don't like absinthe jokes!!!

:harhar: :harhar:

As for tasting neat, I do it as well, when I first get a bottle. I open the bottle, let it air out and note the changing smells first. You'll notice that within about 5 minutes the smell changes completely. Then, I pour some in a Pontarlier glass, swirl it around to let it air more, and take a very small sip and feel the thickness/sweetness/alcohol...after that, I louche and enjoy. That's my little ritual. But shooting straight? Naw, as was noted, that's for cheap vodka, not absinthe.

Good luck, and welcome.

:cheers:

If you're not in polite company,

you don't have to worry much about what's done there.

Besides being downright tasty, the stuff can go to your head right quick,

so taking time to enjoy it is practical and aesthetically pleasing.

If you want to glut yourself on one big, old mouthful —

heck, if you want to drink it with a straw

or lap it from a saucer,

that's your shennanigans.

It's not customary, and it could offend a host,

but in your own digs, in your boxers or whatever...I'm not gonna judge.

......but in your own digs, in your boxers or whatever...I'm not gonna judge.
"Judge not, lest ye be judged judgmental." HA! Who said that?

Muscular opinions abound around here, Arthur. In public I'm a sipper too, but I agree with Peeps that when you're alone and clad in boxer shorts

— or lacy panties — anything goes. (Sometimes I have to chug absinthe before I can feel pretty in lacy panties.)

I like to sip it neat. Not a whole glass worth, obviously, but maybe a few small sips before I louche it up. The flavor profile is completely different. Of course, if you take too big of a sip, all you get is a mouth full of ethanol, but tiny sips can be quite enlightening.

Muscular opinions abound around here, Arthur. In public I'm a sipper too, but I agree with Peeps that when you're alone and clad in boxer shorts

— or lacy panties — anything goes. (Sometimes I have to chug absinthe before I can feel pretty in lacy panties.)

i always feel nuts in my lacy panties.

If it is something that I think is interesting, I like to take a small bit neat before I add water.

I have never sampled a good vintage Absinthe without tasting it neat first. I think that it gives one the opportunity to get a closer look at the flavor profile.

I've never done that.

I'd never turn up my nose, though,

at the personal habits of a more enlightened palate,

like Eric's, e.g.

Everyone take a deep breath now...... Well, I can assure you I would never do it. I've never done it with any liquor that's for sure but the color sure is inviting. That's why I played the child and mentioned melted pistachio ice cream. Everyone take a deep breath now.

Louch-y Pooper!

You know, of course, that gulping absinthe would be as bad as skipping the ritual of sugar and louching.

When you've accomplished that, there's a special ritual few know of:

Kneel down in front of your drink and repeat your mantra.

take a good slug and then smack my lips and let out a hoot of delight

I actually do that on occasion. I don't see the problem.

In yer undies, sittin' on the back porch watching a storm roll in is the best sitting for this, I assure you.

Way to go with the Ksarak. :cheers: It's alright.

......but in your own digs, in your boxers or whatever...I'm not gonna judge.
"Judge not, lest ye be judged judgmental." HA! Who said that?

HAHAHAHAHAHA. I love lace panties too! Oh wait, my wife is coming.

One night, when I was very busy and tired, I was getting into a bottle of something (VdF, I think), and grabbed a glass that I had poured, but had forgotten to add water. I realised about half a second in, but my body was already committed to the movement.

To quote ralph wiggum, "It tastes like burning."

It must have been pretty funny to watch.

What a true statement.

+1 for the Ralph Wiggum theory.

- Aaron

take a good slug and then smack my lips and let out a hoot of delight

I actually do that on occasion. I don't see the problem.

In yer undies, sittin' on the back porch watching a storm roll in is the best sitting for this, I assure you.

Living next to river makes for some great storm watchin' on my back porch, made all the more comfortable when clad in a nice set of undies.

Unfortunately, since I live in a heavily settled city,

my neighbors have reservations about my drinking/dressing habits.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.  I love lace panties too! Oh wait, my wife is coming.

If that's true, she must love you in lace panties as well. To each their own.

I wasn't sure whether you were talking about quaffing absinthe neat, or after it had been louched, but if the former, as you've seen, it's not recommended for a variety of reasons. It won't be pleasant and it'll be a waste of a lot of flavor.

But as Peeps said, do what you want, it's your booze. There's no substitute for experience. :devil:

If that's true, she must love you in lace panties as well. To each their own.

Caught by the double entendre.