Sign in to follow this  
Teriwyn

Yet another intro...

Wow, thanks for such a thought out anise-therapy! I really appreciate the time you put into that suggestion.

I thought I might also look for some absinthe "mixed-drink" recipes that mask the anise, but purists might lynch me. Rightly so... if someone said they were going to pay for top-shelf tequila just to stick it into a margarita, I'd probably balk, too.

Regarding the skipping of the sugar, I thought that maybe that added to why it reminded me of licorice candies. Maybe without sugar, I can see anise by itself as something completely different. Or maybe it's wishful thinking.

Drcoctail, I will look at my local liquor store for anisette and consider giving your therapy a shot. (I hope that they are county-run will not hinder my search; never seen anisette, but never looked, either.)

I read in another thread how you would help people learn to like very complex wines starting with simple whites... Your concern is very appreciated and I will take your suggestions to heart.

I thought I might also look for some absinthe "mixed-drink" recipes that mask the anise, but purists might lynch me.

Drcoctail, I will look at my local liquor store for anisette and consider giving your therapy a shot. (I hope that they are county-run will not hinder my search; never seen anisette, but never looked, either.)

Don't worry about lynching. You'll like what you have the ability to like. Why allow yourself to be beat up - or beat yourself up - over anything you are unable to embrace. But do not go the route of masking the basic flavor. If you do, you'll be neither honest, happy, or accepted. Pursue it honestly, and if it doesn't end up suiting, no harm, no foul. You walk away with your own -and our- respect. No delusions!

You will have no problem whatsoever finding the exceedingly common (and just as cheap) anisette.

Good luck on your long, painful, but revealing journey.

--Doc.

Wow, there's a lot up there!

1. Welcome! :cheers:

2. No, you don't have to drink absinthe to hang out here.

3. Try your Jade NO with no sugar and maybe more water, especially if you don't sugar your coffee or tea.

4. Serpis doesn't taste much like anise. I also second the recommendation of the Montmartre.

5. Folks here who haven't tried the absinthes you have may be interested in swapping small samples with you, thereby letting you try a bunch of different things without making you broke. I'll PM you about this too.

Have fun!

Welcome, Teri!

I'd be thrilled to take the anise Jades off your hands, as would everyone!!!

I started college at 16, after graduating HS. I did 3 semesters and decided I wanted to take a break. You may be pleasantly surprised at how businesses like more experienced/older folks. I put a note on the board to be a bartender and ended up being recruited as a paid p/t employee at IBM and was hired upon graduating at 26.

Life experience counts too!

Have fun here! :cheers:

Jane,

Thanks for your thoughts and encouragement. Everything I've seen has told me just the same thing... a degree will be helpful, but having a resume stuffed full of work experience is going to be what sets me apart from the other fresh graduates whenever I reenter the job market after graduation. I don't doubt that what I'm doing is a good choice, but that knowledge doesn't stop me from being nervous as all hell that something will go wrong. :P

Anyway...

I'm finding that the flavor of anise grows very quickly on me, to the point where it's rather tolerable now. I'm starting to toy with the idea of maybe even liking the flavor. Hooray, I think...

To celebrate, we've decided to research and order a few bottles of different absinthe to sample. I think we're going to go with Un Emile 68 and with Verte de Fougerolles 72 in the next couple of days. I hope my excitement is not causing me to rush things, but I am really looking forward to tasting the differences.

Thanks again, everyone.

Welcome, Teriwyn!

If you haven't already placed your order, let me add my voice to the recommendation above and suggest substituting a bottle of Swiss La Bleue (whichever fits in your price range). Kübler, Clandestine, Elixir du Pays des Fées are all worthwhile. The more recently released La Ptite is also getting good recommendations.

I'm finding that the flavor of anise grows very quickly on me, to the point where it's rather tolerable now. I'm starting to toy with the idea of maybe even liking the flavor.

:clap:

I lean towards Swiss La Bleue brands on hot muggy evenings. They seem a bit lighter and more refreshing.

The verte selection you mentioned are pleasing as well. The VdF and UE 68 are very pleasant and in my humble, barely educated taste, they are mid-grade and comfortable daily drinks. I have enjoyed all those.

Mid-grade is by no means a slam. I prefer them to higher priced vertes on days when it's just me and I just want to relax and not sweat a high cost drink.

Mindset is everything to me.

To you and your absinthe adventures :cheers:

I put a note on the board to be a bartender and ended up being recruited as a paid p/t employee at IBM and was hired upon graduating at 26.

Jane, does this mean I can look you up in blue pages? :D

Hi Teriwyn!

I think I already said "hello" earlier, but I was so happy to see your post about finding your absinthe taste buds. I remember my first glass of absinthe - Jade Edouard - and thinking uh oh, this isn't what I expected. Not quite as severe as your first reaction, but the initial impressions weren't totally positive. Now I'm quite a fan, and it looks like you're on your way as well. :cheers:

I concur with your college decisions. I attended college right out of high school (at 18, almost 19) and I wasn't prepared to apply myself. I just wasn't motivated enough. It looks like you're going in well prepared emotionally and mentally. Good luck!

And glad you're part of the fun here.

I say, going from abhorrence to tolerance in just eleven days is quite an achievement! Be careful though – if you keep the upward trend going this fast, you'll quickly find yourself deeper down in the treacherous anise swamp than any of us addicts here! :P

Mindshifter,

I would say that I agree with you, but I think a lot of it was just in my head. As a child, I remember having a strong aversion to the flavor (for whatever reason) and when I heard what absinthe taste like, I believe I didn't have an open mind going in.

Overwatering, oversugaring, (and probably watering too fast) were the other things that I discovered were standing between me and my enjoyment of the flavor. As I experimented with much less expensive but similarly flavored anisette, I came to find that the more I watered it, the worse I found it to be. Something about how thin and watery/sugary the flavor turned out to become really didn't rest well with me.

With a more open mind (and free from the pressure of "having to enjoy" that expensive bottle of absinthe I purchased), I found myself more available to explore the actual flavor, and to experiment with different ratios of water and sugar.

I don't think I ever really deplored it as much as I thought I did, but my poor watering and sugaring technique probably didn't help the drink any.

Auguru,

I'm not sure if you got to me in time or not, as I'm not the one responsible for placing the order. I'll be sure to check this evening. But even if I don't get to try them on this round, I will take your suggestions in on my own order. Can I ask you to describe briefly why you would recommend those over other absinthes? As in, what makes you think those would be more appropriate for my order? Do you think they have a more acceptable flavor for anise-toleraters, or are these closer to authentic? Higher quality? I'm not questioning your suggestions, I'd just love to have more context for them.

I'm looking forward to getting ahold of Monmartre, but someone described it as being kind of cinnamon tasting. That's not a show stopper for me, but I would have to order it alone, because it is for my "partners in crime".

I used the price-to-quality comparison linked from the main page in order to select the Un Emile and VdF, as they were both highlighted in red, and fell in our price-range. I coupled that with the reviews (also on the main page, as well as a few I found searching on the fourms) to make sure I wasn't getting another "anise-bomb" like the La Fee was. Is that still a good resource to use? (Regarding the price-quality comparison list.)

OMG Bill,

Mid-grade is pretty well what we're aiming for this time around. I understand that's not a slam on the drinks... top-shelf liquors are too pricey to drink all the time, and I'd like to find some middle of the line things to fall back on, just as I do with my vodka and tequilas. I have so many things on my "to try" list, that I just can't fit them all in at once.

Everyone else,

Your genuine comments are appreciated. I have tried my best to do enough leg-work to show that I'm serious about this, but there will always be those with so much more knowledge and experience. I'm so happy that you're willing to share it with those who will listen.

OMG Bill,

Mid-grade is pretty well what we're aiming for this time around. I understand that's not a slam on the drinks... top-shelf liquors are too pricey to drink all the time, and I'd like to find some middle of the line things to fall back on, just as I do with my vodka and tequilas. I have so many things on my "to try" list, that I just can't fit them all in at once.

I agree with the sentiment of having many more absinthes on my "to try" list than I can afford.

I did a bunch of price comparisons and found that many of the best absinthes are very reasonably priced. For example in the vertes: Duplais, Eichelberger 68 and Montmartre are about $40 for a 50cL bottle. VdF and UE68 are priced at $58 and $64 respectively for 70cL bottles. The former three usually rate much higher in taste and quality than the latter two. And ounce for ounce, are cheaper or about the same.

All the prices came from Markus' site, except for those he didn't carry which came from LdF. This isn't a recommendation of either distributor. And fwiw, so far I've always ordered from LdF. My next order will probably be from Markus simply because I want to try one of the La Valotes and I want to order some of his small sample bottles.

Here's my little chart, which doesn't include all the brands. It's highly subjective. It doesn't include shipping. Perhaps another distributor will have different prices. Perhaps I need to add more brands (almost certainly true). The only reason the Toulouse-Latrec is listed is as a point of comparison with the others.

It's a PDF that you can download. The legend is:

Style: b = La Bleues/La Blanches

v = vertes

Rating: From the FV absinthe guide.

Per Drink: assumes a one ounce (about 3 cL) drink. I don't try and consider how much water you add.

So now y'all can tell me I'm full of absinthe. I'm sure there's lot of errors. And currency rates are changing as are prices, so there might be differences there.

Prices.pdf

Edited by dakini_painter

I tried my first La Valote last evening. The Fornoni was first simply because it was rated lowest of the three on most reviews.

I shop at Markus' place as well as LdF for the same reasons. They both have outstanding customer service.

There are several guides around here indicating popularity, cost per drink and assorted other neat things.

I find this forum is an absolute gold mine of information in this area.

I just need to find a few 10cl bottles for sending/receiving samples.

Have fun and :cheers: