Wormwood

Hello everyone...

Hello everyone, I really like this forum, cool to see so many absinthe enthusiasts.

I'm really trying to educate myself as to affordable, authentic absinthe. I do prefer the wormwood in the ingredients as well. Any suggestions as to brands that really measure up?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Welcome! :cheers:

Absinthe costs less than gold. It's definitely affordable. :D

Hey, the sun just came out from behind the Walton Cloudfest. I better put my shades on. B)

Remember :no-czechs3:

Welcome (You'll save yourself a lot of eye rolling if you read those darn FAQ's that Hiram spent so much time on). Say hi to your Uncle Screwtape for me.

Welcome Dave. :cheers:

I do prefer the wormwood in the ingredients as well.

There are no absinthes without it; it's the definitive ingredient.
I can't believe no one else has that screen name.

That's what I thought when I saw his registration.

Thanks everybody for the friendly greetings. Thank you drcocktail fo that list. I will be exploring a few of those green faeries. Thanks for the confirmation about the wormwood Hiram.

Theatre73, "What absinthes have you already tried?"

Thanks for asking. The only two absinthes I've tried so far are;

Absinthe / King of Spirits Gold 70% (everyone hates this absinthe. I thought it was pretty cool though. Though I like strong liquor, I must say this brand with the bottle conditioned herbs included really was an enjoyable experience. Judging from what I've read so far on this forum, I have a feeling very few people here might agree with my findings with this particular brand. The price of course is ridiculous. As much as I've read on this forum, my experience with this (supposedly 100 mg/l thujon absinthe gave me a more heady different buzz than, let's say Bookers Noe 127 proof bourbon. Which I assume is the wormwood but again I'm fairly new with the green faerie.)

Sebor (this was the first abinthe I'd tried and that was about five years ago. I don't remember feeling any different than when drinking any other hard liquor straight - other than of course the notable differences in buzz between different liquors - However, I remember it tasting rather pleasent regardless. It wasn't repugnant anyway.)

What are your fave absinthes and what would you recommend for high proof, high thujon?

I'm aware not many here think that's not of any signifigance, but still for some incomprehensible reason I have a feeling the more wormwood in the liquor the better. Not for taste mind you but for intoxication. I'd like to find the best combination between a quality of taste and wormwood balance. I would be a bit more knowledgeable in this department by now if absinthe wasn't so (generally speaking) expensive.

So what have you found in your absinthe experiences?

Ah, I was kind of expecting that response but hoping it wouldn't come.

Perhaps you should re-read the FAQ. Thujone content doesn't matter, it wont get you high or do anything else but take money out of your wallet. It is also highly questionable whether brands that list their thujone content actually have what they say.

Wormwood is good, but it needs to be balanced with the rest of the herbs. The alcohol will provide the intoxication, not the herbs themselves.

Theatre73,  "What absinthes have you already tried?"

What are your fave absinthes and what would you recommend for high proof, high thujon? 

I'm aware not many here think that's not of any signifigance, but still for some incomprehensible reason I have a feeling the more wormwood in the liquor the better.  Not for taste mind you but for intoxication. 

None...and no one here looks for a high wormwood content for the effects, until now.

(supposedly 100 mg/l thujon absinthe gave me a more heady different buzz than, let's say Bookers Noe 127 proof bourbon.  Which I assume is the wormwood but again I'm fairly new with the green faerie.)

Unless you're also eating the residue, you're not getting the 100 mg/l that the bottle says.

And as stated previously, the thujone content doesn't matter.

for some incomprehensible reason I have a feeling the more wormwood in the liquor the better.  Not for taste mind you but for intoxication. 

That may play the same way as a guy thinking he's REALLY drunk... until you tell him you've been pouring him N/A beer for the past three hours.

What you 'want' to feel plays a big part is how you 'do' feel when it comes to drinking.

Changing that paradigm might do you well so you don't waste anymore money on 'high thujone' czechsinthe.