Sign in to follow this  
Bladeswitch

Need help finding Herbsaint!

I had to order a bottle of Herbsaint online. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would, because it's a bit, "Stemy" as a friend of mine described it. Still, I'll have some every now and then when I'm not in the mood for absinthe proper.

While it's not absinthe, an Herbsaint frappe can be a pretty tasty thing when made properly.

I've come to really respect Herbsaint as a mixing spirit, even though I understand it's but a shadow of its former self. Herbsaint has a bit more of a rugged, coarse quality as compared to Pernod, Ricard and the like, which means it stands up for itself better in a cocktail (and while I like Henri Bardouin, I think its flavor is easily swept away when mixed with other ingredients).

If absinthe isn't at hand, I like using Herbsaint in the Atty / Attention / Arsenic & Old Lace (three names for what's evolved into pretty much the same drink), which matches its flavor against dry vermouth and creme de violette, with a hearty gin backbone supporting everything (and sometimes a little orange bitters just for pizzazz). Pernod would just make the drink sweet and muddy tasting, but Herbsaint helps keep it crisp.