Sign in to follow this  
Bladeswitch

Need help finding Herbsaint!

I'm not from Jersey damn it.

Jersey's a state full of freaks. I'm naturally combative, this much is true, but from Jersey I will not cop to my friend.

Sorry to bring this back, but I've been unable to find any stores that carry Herbsaint, and the ABC store can't get it. Does anyone know of any stores in the D.C. area that carry it?

Try Bell Liquors downtown on M and 18th. They have many things I've never seen before.

Also on M Street in Georgetown, Potomac Wines and Spirits at 202-333-2848. They have a policy that, if it's commercially available, they'll order it for you. Got a case of cider that was practically impossible to find on the east coast.

Edited by Shabba53

From everything I've read I know that it's not like the old Herbsaint, and not even made by the same company, but for some reason I want a bottle just to feel a(n artificial) connection to old NO. Not the best reason, I know, but I'd still like to have a bottle.

I'm not going to drive all the way to D.C. just to get a bottle. My girlfriend and I go there anyway once every couple of months to see the museums and buy some groceries at Chinatown, so if I find one of those stores when I'm there I'm just going to pick up a bottle.

I appreciate the warning, though, Justabob. Who knows, since the selection is very good I might see something else and talk myself out of the Herbsaint.

Try Bell Liquors downtown on M and 18th. They have many things I've never seen before.

Also on M Street in Georgetown, Potomac Wines and Spirits at 202-333-2848. They have a policy that, if it's commercially available, they'll order it for you. Got a case of cider that was practically impossible to find on the east coast.

What cider was that? Gaitero?

Edited by Doyle

Modern Herbsaint isn't bad for a substitute. It's nothing at all like vintage (thanks again, Impy) but it's good to have around. It makes a better substitute for cocktails than Pernod Anis does, and I've certainly had absinthes that were worse, that's for sure.

Did you ever find a bottle?

Still trying to get rid of mine...haha. I never was able to hook up with bladeswitch.

Well, I have been drinking absinthe for over a decade, so I hope I'm used to the taste of it. I just liked the Herbsaint as something different. I noticed it was best icy cold.

Probably the same crap I was. Namely Sebor, Staro, Deva and Serpis and other horrible shite. I was young and dumb then. I swear, I didn't know!

Edited by Shabba53

I went years drinking bad absinthe - but in the area I was living in, it's all I really saw. It's embarrassing to say how much crap I have drank. (Czech). I really didn't start really studying it and learning the wonderfull world of it until I moved back to the United States.

Edited by Alyssa Dyane

Oh - and to further illustrate how stupid I was when drinking it, for the first couple of years I drank any, I drank it straight, I didn't even know to dilute it.

I still have so much to learn. What a wonderfull process that learning is.

Isn't that the best way to drink absinth?

I mean, would you really want some of those flavors to dance on your palate?

Czech connoisseurs party,

"A nice blend of motor oil and industrial solvent, possibly a minty fresh cleaner. Do I also detect a hint of melted full-load baby diaper? With a supermodel thin body and harsh VD burn when going down. The best I've tasted yet. I give this product 5 out of 5 gangrene fairies."

:)

Edit to add: More seriously there is an excuse for drinking crap 10 years ago, as some of those were the best at the time.

Edited by Ari

Ari, for my grindcore project I need to have a sample of someone saying that as the intro to a song!

Ari, for my grindcore project I need to have a sample of someone saying that as the intro to a song!

Oh boy...only my father Satan knows how much I love grindcore (shhhh, it's a secret).

I could translate it into German (which coincidentally is overtly evil sounding anyway) and then read it back for you, like a much more evil version of "Die Eier von Satan" from Tool.

That would be spiffy.

Aaron