Hello,

I'm a relatively new user and saw the forum where I perhaps should have introduced myself earlier. I live in upstate New York, USA. I work on a farm, milking goats, feeding goats, cleaning up after goats. I live with two vicious, killer dogs and two cats. One of whom is really named Mr. Cat. Ah, now in my old age, I look back on my life. What could have been! Alas, I have fallen under the spell of the Green Fairy. Now there is no hope for me, I am certain.

How did the Green Fairy come to me? It wasn't that long ago. I was thinking of the early Cubist painters, their still life paintings, and the thought "absinthe" came to me. Absinthe. The sound of it was pleasing in itself. I remembered the ad in "Art in America" a few years back announcing the return of absinthe. Could it be?

To Google.

A whole world of absinthe existed. And one could simply order it online. But wait... I'm not a big fan of licorice.

"Q: I don't like anise, which absinthe should I buy? A: probably none."

After spending way more time on the Net than I care to recount, it seemed that the Jade brand was the best of the modern absinthes. Of course, opinions differ. But the positives voices seemed to greatly outweigh the negative ones. Some clicks of mouse and keys, an order with Oxygenee/LdF was placed. Jade Edouard 72 it is. In three days, the package arrives. There is real excitement. And fear. What if I don't like it?

This was very much different from any beverage I've ever had. Mostly I drank wine, and that rarely these days. Thankfully, it wasn't like licorice. But I wasn't sure whether I liked it. Yet I couldn't articulate what it was that I didn't like. Perhaps, I'd made it too thin at 1:4 sans sucre. Resolved, next time it'll be 1:3 avec du sucre.

So several nights later, my weekend opportunity arose. With sugar this time, and less water. And the first sip was, well, yes, this is very good. Yes, very good, indeed.

So perhaps it's been a month now since my first encounter with the Green Fairy. And I've since added a bottle of the Eichelberger 68 and La P'tite to my little collection of absinthes. I've ordered from LdF so far, and am amazed that within 3 days bottles of absinthe magically appear on my doorstep. Only my bank account tells me it's not magic.

And now, this post has gone on for far too long...

Regards to all. Photos of dogs and 1 cat.

post-685-1151869247.jpg

post-685-1151869281.jpg

post-685-1151869301.jpg

Welcome! There is no shame in lurking for a time before you post. Your lurking has done you well. Lurking let's you get the "feel" of the boards and the posters. So when I say "if you don't like anise, may I suggest Hills?" you'll know just how much faith to put in my advice!

Post and post often, Dakini!

--Doc.

Nice intro!  Welcome!  :cheers:

So, do you paint on dakinis, pictures of dakinis, or are you a dakini who paints?

Hummm. Probably most accurate to say pictures of dakinis, but that hasn't been the only thing I paint. My profile gives my web site (ooooh). :D Lately haven't been able to paint much of anything. That w-o-r-k thing gets in the way of so much! But we'll see what happens. I keep thinking how the Green Fairy may effect my painting. My stuff is weird enough as it is. Kinda frightening.

But thanks so much to all. I feel like part of the family already. :wave2:

Welcome!

I spent 3 years in Oneonta and loved it.  I hope your goats didn't get washed away in the flooding this week. 

:cheers:

All is good with the goats and other farm animals. My house is all right as I'm up the hill from the river. Not as good for the houses and businesses on the main, low-lying streets. Not like New Orleans where houses were washed away, but there's a lot of furniture, carpet and the like waiting to be hauled to the dump. At least in this little village, no one is :dead: from the flood. But more damage than 1996 is what people say.

Thankfully, I didn't lose any bottles of the precious elixir - absinthe :)

Follow the links and the paintings in the gallery are yours? Very very cool.

I swear, the best reason to do theatre is when the show is over, there is no evidence of the sins committed. I am envious of anyone capable of creating lasting art. :cheers:

Thanks so much to everyone for their welcomes and nice comments on my paintings. I'm looking to do some more soon. (I often work in periods of intense activity followed by sloth and indolence.)

Look forward to the discussions. And who knows, perhaps at some gathering at the Center of the Universe™ a Walton-living, absinthe-drinking, dakini painting, artsy person will appear with a bottle of absinthe. :cheers:

yay for artsy people!

- and in particular, yay for those who use egg tempera ...

Welcome!

Well thanks so much. I don't consider myself really accomplished in egg tempera. But I must admit that I really liked the results and direction of my technique in the last paintings. They began to approach the wonderful luminosity that I remembered in Sassetta's paintings I saw in the Louve. Not that mine are anywhere as good as Sassetta's.

Now, I'm curious. Are there other artists on WS?