OK, as was stipulated, this was for my amusement and should be viewed without any seriousness whatsoever, but....here is the list of the ten most popular absinthes in order of popularity - more or less.

#1 Edouard

#2 Eichelberger Verte 68

#3 Clandestine la Bleue

#4 Verte Suisse

#5 Nouvelle-Orléans

#6 Kübler 53

#7 La Petite by rank and Montmartre by overall hits

#8 Montmartre

#9 Segarra 45 by rank, tied with Un Emile 68 by overall hits

#10 François Guy

Just a few notes: Scoring was done for each rank (1-10) separately. First place multiplied number of votes per brand at that rank by 10 (top rank) plus 1 point per hit/vote at any rank. So Edouard got 6 votes for 1st place x 10 + 11 hits/votes overall = 72. For second place, same system x 9 (2nd rank) instead of 10, and so on. #s 1-3 are the most accurate since everyone voted for at least that many, whereas #s 7-10 are the least accurate since fewer of you voted that many brands. This could hardly be less scientific since different brands were tried by different people and maybe a few low rankers were great, but just less known/less acquired.

That said, it does make for a great list of absinthes to acquire in a majority order of preference.

To download and see my score sheet (MS Word) and the data spreadsheet (MS Excel) click here.

I could not figure out how to put HGs in the equation, though the fervent loyalty and boosterism they received was enlightening.

--Doc.

Good work, Doc!

I like your system; simple and logical, although I am suprised the Guy made it. I guess Hiram could not vote twice :P

I bow in awe to anyone who can do this kind of figuring. I can't add seven plus five without counting on my fingers.

Thank you, Doc. This should be particularly helpful to newcomers.

I audition every year, but no circus will have me. Isn't that tragic?

Is it possble that the reason you can't count 7 and 5 is because you have 12 fingers on one hand? You could be too freakish. Not knowing you personally, I really can't and won't judge you.

Never been one to make snap judgments. Can you snap?

1-6 looks just as I would've guessed, even though I've only tasted 4 of them. Could easily be a top 5 list, with the Monty creeping in as a 'spoiler' for some.

Blast from the past. From April '05:

1. Jade Suisse Verte 65

2. Jade Edouard 72

3. Jade Nouvelle-Orléans 68

4. Suisse La Bleue Clandestine 53

5. Kübler 53

6. Blanche de Fougerolles 74

7. Verte de Fougerolles 72

8. Montmarte 65

9. Un Emile Sapin 68

10. Segarra Absenta 45

The Eddie, Clandestine and Montmartre were then relatively new.

I would move to have a poll of the WORST absinthes, but I think I would know what to expect. Although I am intrigued as to whether anyone would mention the Mango Absinthe, because that would mean someone would have actually bought it...

Amazingly, the world's worst absinthe and the world's most expensive are one and the same. ( Logan Fils)

Likewise the world's second most expensive and second worst.( Segara 68 )

And King o'Spirits Gold is nearly the world's third most expensive absinthe...

I would move to have a poll of the WORST absinthes, but I think I would know what to expect.  Although I am intrigued as to whether anyone would mention the Mango Absinthe, because that would mean someone would have actually bought it...
If there are more than ten Czech absinths, then you couldn't do a top ten. :P

Logan is definitely more drinkable than Staroplzenecky or Elixier, which are actually foul. Logan is merely substandard; I've had worse HGs.

I've never had KoS. If anyone wants to send me a sample, please do. I'm serious. That goes for any other Czech Drek gathering dust. I'm willing to take one for the team in the name of research.

Bought a Czechsinthe in the Yucatan last year. It's just called Absinth. It's pictured in my 'show off your gear' pics.

Probably the worst absinthes I've EVER tried. And that includes Staro and Absinthe Original. However, I hear that BTDoyle was able to finish off the bottle with his brother in one evening... To his credit though, I think he used it as a mixer. He's a better man than I...

However, I hear that BTDoyle was able to finish off the bottle with his brother in one evening...  He's a bitter man than I...

Who wouldn't be after a whole bottle of that crap?

Ach! Changing quotes! M'god man, therein lies the path to MADNESS!

Otherwise, I'm with Hiram. I'll try any designated awful absinthe and try to see what they were going for. I'll try to see any balance. I'll try to see the relative value of one versus another. I'll try not to throw up.

Sometimes throwing up is the best thing.

I thought Logan Filth was supposed to be less horrifying than KOS.

It is.

KOS may be the King, but Elixier is the Emperor of I Scream, with Strzopzlenznzsznlckkkky the Prince Reject.

Yeah, we at InAbsinthia are going to be trying out some of the Czech and other lower ranking ones. As mentioned, I think you have to try out ones from the entire spectrum, if you want to get a reasonably educated palate. Admittedly, it's an expensive lesson, but I thnk we need to sip one and scream "Dragon Spit!" to get a real appreciation for Nouveau-Orleans (our current fav).

So yeah, I'd love to see a "bottom of the barrel" poll too.

KoS was about my third absinth. I want NO more. Don't want it near the house even if it is to be used as an insecticide. It was the most vile absinth I have tried. It isn't the most horrible thing I've tried but it's right up there or down there. It sucketh greatly.

I sugar coated that for your protection. ;)

I've had some horrendously nauseating liqueurs. Not only would I rate KOS as the worst absinthe, I'd rate it as the 2nd most nastiest liquor on the planet, surpassed in awfulness only by a Chinese sorghum liquor called Wu Liang Ye, which tastes like horse shit smells. I've had homemade Slivovic from Bosnia that tasted and smelled remarkably like nail polish remover, and that was more drinkable than King of Spirits. Logan Fils is pretty horrifying though, tastes like cedar mixed with mop water, gym socks and grappa. One sip and both the verte and the blanche went in the toilet.