Sign in to follow this  
Brooks

La Ptite

I've just christened the brand-new La Ptite.

This is a delicate, shimmering, sweetheart of a blanche — a perfect summer absinthe. I can't wait for one of you herb-savvy hot-shots to order a bottle, and tell me what it is I'm tasting!

There's a flirty, confectionary top note that skips over your tongue before the flavors in the middle settle in. The middle notes are reminiscent of the CLB, but this is a more feminine absinthe than the Artemisia-Bugnon. La Ptite really is a pretty blonde in a cotton dress.

I'm drinking it unsugared, with a single ice-cube. It's crystal-clear, and louches beautifully. If I have a gripe, it's with the label which, like the label for CLB, reminds me of an ad for feminine hygiene spray.

This a gentle absinthe of real finesse, and the perfect antidote to a hot, muggy Manhattan night.

Thank you Brooks. It was exactly that. It was warm and muggy last evening but La Ptite was very nice and refreshing.

I'll sit back and let the learned ones break it down.

Please, don't strike me.

;)

"A pretty blonde in a cotton dress" sounds delicious but I know a hot little brunette that might take exception to me placing that order. ;) Lovely description, Brooks. You've given the pros a challenge.

I don't want to cause trouble at home.

Forget "pretty blonde in a cotton dress." If your hot little brunette asks, tell her La Ptite evokes a balding octogenarian in a polyester house coat.

I've just christened the brand-new La Ptite.

This a gentle absinthe of real finesse, and the perfect antidote to a hot, muggy Manhattan night.

I didn't know there was such a thing, so it sounds like I may be forced to buy a bottle.

I can just imagine how it might enhance our cool, pleasant, and just downright lovely East Bumfuck summer nights! :P

I like La P'tite. I haven't had any other blanches, but of the mere three bottles of absinthe that I own, I find it's becoming a regular in my glass. If only because I can't really afford to drink the Edouard all the time, and the Eichelberger (as wonderful as it is) just doesn't seem to be what my taste buds are after.

Have any of our experts have words of comparison with other blanches? I know Kübler is very highly regarded. Just curious.

It's La Ptite, without the apostrophe, and it's a very good blanche. Fares well in comparison to Clandestine and Kübler in my opinion.

Thanks much for correcting me. I've been making that mistake, repeatedly. Well I won't do that again.

God, I hope so.

I think the Ptite tastes nice, although a bit light. It's clean though, nothing particularly wrong with it, although the flavour doesn't jump out at you either. Given the recent pic posted at Feeverte of Ptite's herbs, I think the taste you're noticing is probably German Chamomile with a hint of Lavender. German Chamomile is not traditionally used in La Bleues, Roman Chamomile is. I prefer Roman Chamomile, it's more flowery, less earthy. Persoz did a nice job though.

I'm not trying to stoke any HG vs. Commercial fires these days, especially since La Bleue is in reality HG sold to the public, but I sure do wish a few anonymous American makers out there would move to Switzerland and sell their stuff back to us, because there's some American made blanches I've had that surpass every La Bleue on the market. When I think of "La Bleue", I think of a big intense alpine creamy flavour reminiscent of Betty's #2 (sadly the maker is deceased so no more #2!), and I still have yet to taste a La Bleue on the market that is that good. There are American HG blanches though which nip at the heels of Betty's #2, and I want my La Bleue to taste like THAT. It hasn't been dubbed the Holy Grail of absinthe for nothing. Maybe the current Swiss commercial market will get there eventually, but they're not there yet. I've heard there are a few Swiss masters still making knock out La Bleue, but they're all still clandestine and intend to stay that way.

I like the current La Bleues on the market, but I want better because I know it can be.

I haven't had Betty's #2, but "big intense alpine creamy flavour" makes me think of this one:

fontaine3.jpg

A swiss that hasn't gone CO. It may not be on Holy Grail level, but it had a far richer taste than any other swiss La Bleue I've had.

God, I hope . . . a few anonymous American makers out there would move to Switzerland and sell their stuff back to us

Whassamatta with Mexico or Canadiania? Seems a far easier move. Or even doing what Ted does, and establish a relationship with a Mexicadian distiller to do custom runs.

Or are you just trying to get someOne out of this hemisphere?

quote=Wrayalien,Jul 6 2006, 07:47 PM

:absomphe: I'm waiting for my bottle of La Patite as I type.

I'm thinking the monkey should arrive tomorrow Wray.

I am as anxious as you.

But tonight.......La Ptite, I've been 2 full weeks drink free.

To Thursday evening :cheers:

I did not see that show. Can you describe what we are seeing in context?

(Sort of an absinthe way station for thirsty travelers?)

Thanks!  --Doc.

Yeah, that's it exactly from what I remember. It's an Absinthe way station in a stump along a trail in Suisse that magically gets filled up with stuff. I think one can see in the posted pic the absurd "green fairies" painted on rocks along the trail.