Brooks

The Cane Field

I'm back. 13 bars in 3 days (daze?) and it was amazing. I did unexpectedly attend the annual Modern Drunkard's Convention while there, and hung out with Frank Kelly Rich and drank a wee dram. How very strange this thread has turned out to be.

I will contribute for the greater good.

I'm non-habituated to coffee or tea. I do not drink iced coffee unless I add booze. Hot coffee, sugared or not by mood. Hot tea sugared. Iced tea sugared or not by mood (usually not.) Love (really love) Brussels sprouts. Not partial to chicken feet. I eschew catsup. Lips that touch peanut butter shall ne'er touch mine. I drink on occasion. This is an occasion!

--Doc.

Absinthe: watered and sugared by tradition, unsweetened by at-will expediency.

Pickles: Sour, baby! --Doc.

P.S. Full answer for pickles: I've had homemade sweetened/spiced pickles that I'd serve as a gourmet hors doeuvre.

Ummm . . . chocolate? Must be dark. Once you get used to 70% or stronger, that mass-market milk chocolate (or even semi-sweet) just tastes like sugary brown wax.

Coffee/tea, none for me.

Absinthe, sugar-free.

Pikkle? Ain't seen Pikkle in a looong time.

Took a traveler of absinthe (my trusty flask) on the lake today for some boating with friends.

I was thirsty. I was traveling.

It's like I was the Thirsty Traveler.

Hiram, I like your new avatar pic the best.

Monsieur Lanfrey, I only like dill pickles and dill relish. The nastiest thing on earth are Bread and Butter pickle chips. Barf twice.

That girl with pickle-phobia is freakier than anything I've seen in a long time. It almost seems as if she is making that shit up.

We've got another one, Absy! :cheers:

Does that mean I'll need my entrenching tool to hold the sugar lump above my absinthe?
Just don't use your hands, son!

After the first few tries at sugaring absinthe, it became apparent I am in the non-sugaring class. Not that I don't like sweets. Pecan pie is a particular favorite. Baklava? Heaven. When it comes to chocolate, the darker the better.

As for other foods, I like all the bitter stuff. Collards. Brussel sprouts. Love broccoli, beets, okra, most squash, lima beans, asparagus, artichokes, spinach cooked or raw, cauliflower. Whatever. I'm a mean omnivore. Not too fond of organ meats, especially kidney, but am roundly "pariahed" (to coin a phrase) by my family when I cook calf liver and onions. Yum! [Mustn't forget fungi. Love mushrooms, all kinds. Cheeses: Stilton, bleu, sharp cheddars...].

Love hot foods. Indian chutneys. Szechuan. Thai. Curries.

Absolutely cannot abide cole slaw (bad experience at KFC as a child...).

Not much of a coffee drinker (but take it black with a smidge of sweetener, you know the pink saccharin stuff).

Love teas. Make my own iced tea blend accented with jasmine. Most restaurant teas are too weak for me. No sugar, but I use about 1/4 to 1/5 pack of the pink stuff. Southern sweetened tea has to be cut at least 5 to 1 with unsweetened or I cannot drink it.

Pattern? Despite a bona fide sweet tooth, I hew to the bitter end of the spectrum and like a variety of spicy foods. NO sugar in any absinthe for me.

Anybody ponder 'bout what kind of caloric intake this absinthe be havin' us do?

Anybody ponder 'bout what kind of caloric intake this absinthe be havin' us do?

C'mon, do you REALLY care how many calories it has??? It is packed with herbs and they are basically medicinal, ya' know.

I found that a couple of glasses of FG was a dandy substitute for dinner when I was packing up my house to move. I lost several pounds that way. :cheers:

Calories, smalories. It is time to pack on the pounds for winter hibernation!

I normally take my absinthe without sugar but decided to "cube" it the other eve.

I was quite impressed by the difference in the flavor profile.

It reminded me of how easy it is to get stuck in a taste rut as it were. Variation is good. :cheers:

"Calories, smalories" is how I feel too. I just thought that there were some folks, maybe perhaps out west in the holistic world that might feel obliged to know the tale of the tape, you know?

Absinthe AND ice cream sounds even better!