Brooks

The Cane Field

I read recently in the local newspaper that the FDA(?) was going to push congress for a bill to require salt warnings on foods.

We eat WAY too much salt.

My MIL and FIL were put on a low sodium diet a year and a half ago and since I do most of the cooking for them, so we went on a low sodium diet as well.

It amazes me that food that is advertised as better for us ("Low Fat" particularly) is loaded with sugar and salt.

I have 20+ tomato plants in (two gardens), squash (crookenck and zuccini), green beans, broccoli, peppers and finocchio planted this year. Lots of canning to do starting around mid July.

I dispise ethylene-green tomatos. Even 'Hot House' tomatos have no flavor. Garden grown vine ripened tomatos are the only way to go.

Gazpacho! (Spanish, not Mexican)

Shellfish-trip to the Emergency Room ;) 

Shrimp, crab or lobster and I am one sick puppy. Too bad because I do love them. Fortunately, I think I could eat my weight in oysters and clams.

I'm allergic to popcorn.  My children won't let me eat it.  They say I get mean.   

That blows! I love popcorn with Nutritional Yeast on it. I haven't met a vegetable that I don't like.

Mean is such an understatement. We lock her in the basement until the frothing stops.

Even beets, and Brussel Sprouts? :shock:  :worshippy: 

Mmmmm. Serve them up with a thick center cut pork loin and I am one happy T73!

I dispise ethylene-green tomatos.  Even 'Hot House' tomatos have no flavor. Garden grown vine ripened tomatos are the only way to go.

You are so right. Those pink stones we call tomatos in this country are inedible. Once you've had a real tomato, there's no going back.

I'm with you on the salt too. Every vegetarian I know has a high sodium problem because they salt the shit out of their veggies and eat that fake meat crap that has more sodium than a bag of potato chips.

I like my women bitter.

My absinthe has to be lanced and irrigated.

Buttered up bosses, natch.

Soured relationships with beef sausage.

Grated expectations on life’s carrots.

I like to take my sweet thyme with chores.

Several grains of salt with my internet.

Dark forebodings give me gas.

Oh yes Absomphe, beets and brussels sprouts are some of my favorites!

Sweet Jeebus! I just went to a new restaurant down the street to pick up some lunch. They had Scharffen Berger chocalates on the impulse rack. I bought some 62%, 70% and 82% Cacao bars.

I like my women bitter.

My absinthe has to be lanced and irrigated.

Buttered up bosses, natch.

Soured relationships with beef sausage.

Grated expectations on life’s carrots.

I like to take my sweet thyme with chores.

Several grains of salt with my internet.

Dark forebodings give me gas.

:laf:

Once you've had a real tomato, there's no going back.

That's what I tell all my friends. My wife's Italian.

Oh, and we only eat Romas, even on sandwiches.

Sweet Jeebus! I just went to a new restaurant down the street to pick up some lunch. They had Scharffen Berger chocalates on the impulse rack. I bought some 62%, 70% and 82% Cacao bars.

I'll put on some coffee.

Mmmmm. Roasted beets.

Okra and tomatos.

Collard Greens and ham hocks.

Black eyed peas.

Topped off with Trappy's Bull Sauce.

I think I'm hungry.

I love Dagoba's Eclipse at 87%.

When our oldest was a little younger, she tried to sneak some out of the fridge, and my husband found her in the living room yelling "This is mama's kind!", like she had been cruely tricked. I think she threw it on the floor.

Wow. Good thing I haven't bought from that product line in a while.

I've got tomato plants! I am so excited. I'm off to play in the dirt. :D

Dark Chocolate (Scharffen-Berger 70%)...

Teavana Ms. Earl Grey or Lemon Green with sugar... (sidenote: the Azteca Fire is an herbal infusion and doesn't actually have any actual tea in it... :devil:

Never really drank coffee, though in keeping with the chocolate thread the Scharffen-Berger Mocha bars are quite tasty, just ground coffee beans mixed in with 62%...

Always sugar with absinthe

Anyone ever try the Rogue Chocolate Stout? I love it!!

Was never big into veggies, but lately I've been grilling them, and am a huge fan. I think everything might taste better when cooked on an open flame....

quote=btdoyle00,Jun 25 2006, 01:17 AM

I think everything might taste better when cooked on an open flame....

Almost. ;)

You really scare me. :)

It's taken this long?

Mmmmm.  Roasted beets.

Okra and tomatos.

Collard Greens and ham hocks.

Black eyed peas.

Topped off with Trappy's Bull Sauce.

When you and T73 come down to see Mr. Box, we'll take you to some very good soul food joints.

Ever try hanging out with Sonny von Bulow? Boring...

:laf:

Yer funny. Good thing that I wasn't actually drinking while reading this. I might have ruined the keyboard.

Dangit! I put all the chocolate bars including the "extra dark" one in the freezer on Friday night before taking off to Charleston, so sadly, I won't get to sample it for another week.

Coffee: Hate any form of it

Tea: hot or iced straight, never ever sugar

Chocolate: Love it all except white (which I don't think is technically chocolate)

Absinthe: Sugar, always

Damn, Hiram is picky.

Don't even get me started on my food rules :harhar: