Brooks

The Cane Field

I'm continually amazed that the modern crop of absinthes contains no added sugar. So many of them are sweet-sweet. I sometimes wish that they were less so.

The simplest corrective is to drip your water through a tablespoon of Korean kimchee. This yields a sour, spicy fusion absinthe. AND the fennel in the absinthe counteracts garlic breath. :shifty:

:laf:

It's genetic. They taste a little sweet when I taste them neat, but I swear, I have yet to find an absinthe which I can gag down a whole glass of without sugar. Add a little sugar, and it becomes ambrosial nectar; without it, I may as well drink bleach water—astringent, bitter, flat, and icky. Sugar adds roundth.

I have to admit, the pre-ban Pernod Fils I've had was more bitter than any modern premium absinthe (HG or CO). However, it was also amazingly more floral and complex.

I was a wee-bit flurried for how weakly anisated the Cannes Cache was in comparison to other samples of Pernod Fils. The rest had a nearly-equivalent wormwood character that was environed by a milky, anethole connector.

The genetic aspect is true. I am more sensitive to sweet and less to bitter. I never sugar a blanche and only do so with vertes about 40% of the time. Good fennel accounts for much of the sweetness.

supertasters generally do not enjoy alcohol or coffee
:blink:

My sugar-recepter must be broken. I never sugar anything, and am not a mixed-drinks fan, because of the sweetness. Is there a connection with sweet and alcohol, I wonder?

No, you're just in the group of non-sugarers like I am.

I can't stand absinthe with sugar. However, I can stand an overly bitter absinthe and in fact quite like some of them.

When I do sugar an absinthe I use no more than half a cube. It's not to add sweetness as much as to cut a certain sharpness and to accentuate some of the flavors. Still, I rarely do it and only with certain varieties that I feel could benefit.

I encountered a strange anomaly last night regarding the sweetness issue.

Prior to loucheing a Duplais Verte (latest addition) I took a small sip neat, as I have gotten into the practice of doing, and detected absolutely no sweetness as with some others I have tasted. However after loucheing (sans sugar), the sweetness was very noticeable (for my palate) and the drink mellowed into the norm.

How does the water bring out the sweetness?

Do you sweeten your coffee?

Do you take your tea sweetened?

These may have some bearing on your proclivity towards sweet drinks and a predisposition to adding sugar to Absinthe. It may make it more 'rounded' simply because you are more inclined to favor sweet drinks.

On the other hand if you don't sweeten your coffee or tea and sweeten your absinthe, I may be full of it.

I think it would be an interesting survey:

1 - Drink coffee or tea sweetened and drink Absinthe sweetened.

2- Drink coffee or tea sweetened and drink Absinthe un-sweetened.

3 - Drink coffee or tea un-sweetened and drink Absinthe sweetened.

4 - Drink coffee or tea un-sweetened and drink Absinthe un-sweetened.

Is there a corilation?

Want some whiskey in your water?

Want some sugar in your tea?

Whats all these crazy questions people are asking me? .......

This is the craziest party I have........n/m

I don't drink tea anymore but I did without sugar.

No coffee at all now but it was without sugar.

I prefer dark chocolate over milk chocolate.

My absinthe has had no sugar in months.

Cookies are my friend.

Cakes, candy bars, jelly bellies, fruit sours and all sorts of stuff like that, I like.

I'm not quite right.

:cheers:

Coffee and cocoa in the morning -- sweetened

Coffee at lunch -- unsweetened

Mate de Coca in the afternoon -- sweetened

Absinthe after work -- unsweetened

Dark chocolate rocks. Milk chocolate is too sweet.

I'm noticing a pattern.

Dark chocolate (60% cacao or more preferably)

Espresso or European coffee, can't drink the watery stuff

Tea unsweetened

Absinthe predominantly without sugar, every once in a while to bring out a little bit more of the complexities of the flavor.

Open up the window, sucka! Let me catch my breath!

Is it possible to have a single thread (particularly one this interesting) that avoids the sugar/no sugar broken record?
Apparently not. More's the pity. Maybe there should be a Cane Field?

Coffee: I used to take a ton of sugar and milk but weaned off of it for health reasons. I've learned to embrace the bitterness, but only with half & half, or preferably cream (fat helps cut the bitterness in many things).

Tea: No way I can drink it without sugar, I'll throw right up. I used to drink it black, but t's even better since I found out about cream.

Chocolate: Dark is, you guessed it, way too bitter. Milk chocolate is heaven.

Other things that I either can't stand or had to develop a taste for: brussels sprouts, grapefruit, broccoli, yellow mustard, uncooked tomatoes, hot peppers, peas and most other beans, turnips, greens, potatoes... hell, most vegetables. But I love me some meat and cheese!

Damn, Hiram is picky.

Since this has turned into another sugar thread,

Coffee: 1/2Espresso 1/2milk and sugar.

Tea: Black, no sugar.

Chocolate: Black no sickenly sweet milk crap.

Absinthe: Both but generally leaning towards no sugar.

no coffee

no chocolate

tea with honey

Mexican Coke with pure cane sugar

I think "do you take sugar in your coffee?" is a pretty good indicator for whether someone is going to like sugar in their absinthe. It's been my standard question all along, and I almost never get anybody saying their absinthe is too sweet, or too bitter.

Coffee straight

Flavored creamer in Instant Crap™ or Zippy Mart Swill™

3/4 cup sugar/gallon of ice tea

Dont usually drink hot tea

Never met a chocolate I didn't like

...and absinthe, no sugar with the exception of a half cube with Monty and UE 68.

Hiram, what was the turning point for the 'greens'? Smoked hamhocks?

Coffee - half n half

Iced Tea - lemon occasionally otherwise plain, I can drink it lightly sweetened, but none of that south GA 'would you like some tea with your sugar' stuf.

Hot tea - plain

chocolate - 70% Cocoa (Lindt right now)

Absinthe - yup, no sugar

Almost any vegetable except turnups.

Hot peppers? I even put cayanne in mashed potatos. I've got gallon bags of dried cayannes, pint bags of dried habs (Death Powder!) and jars of various dried peppers from the garden. Spice is the variety of life.

If you like spicy things, chocolate and hot tea, check out a tea from a company called Teavana. The tea is called Azteca Fire and is an infusion including cacao and red pepper. It tastes like a mexican hot chocolate, where they add peppers. Chocolatey with a bit of spice. Quite nice. You can get it online or in their shop.

Also, there are several breweries that now offer a Chipotle Porter. The best I've found is from Great American Breweries (Sweetwater chain). great stuff.

I even put cayanne in mashed potatos. I've got gallon bags of dried cayannes, pint bags of dried habs (Death Powder!) and jars of various dried peppers from the garden. Spice is the variety of life.

Indicative of a superior intellect.

I'll play too...

Coffee: no sugar, always black. I can't stand milk & sugar in my coffee. However...

Black tea (other than Chai): milk and sugar. Otherwise it literally makes me feel sick to my stomach. I have no idea why.

All other tea: no milk, no sugar.

Chocolate: not really much of a chocolate person, and certainly no connoiseur.

Absinthe: with sugar, almost always. Without it, I find it bitter, harsh, and dry. Sugar smoothes it out and makes it beautiful.

Tea: Teavana Earl Grey Creme or Rishii Earl Grey twice a day, 1/4 teaspoon of sugar per cup.

Chocolate: El Rey Venezuelan 73% Dark Chocolate, or Sprüngli truffles imported from Switzerland if I can get them

Absinthe: no sugar, diluted 4:1 or less

No coffee, that shit spazzes me out, even though I LOVE the taste.