Sign in to follow this  
drcocktail

Introducing myself and making a review request

First post, Ladies and Gentlemen. I'm Doc. I'm a newbie to the forums, but not to either absinthe or any other potable distillate you can name. DrinkBoy brought the WS to my attention, and I know Brooks, and Ted B. I may know a couple others among you too, but given the clever monikers, I can't be sure. I'm Curator and co-founder of The Museum of the American Cocktail, and the cocktail is central to my interests, with a minor in Tiki, and another in Absinthe. My involvement with absinthe goes back to 1991 or so. I was an early guinea pig for TB's experiments. Back then the choices were Philip Lasala, Sebor, and Hill's. Can you imagine a time when the best thing around was Sebor? I've since had La Fee, and a bottle of early Tarragona Pernod Couvet. Spotty, eh? Mainly I've been concentrating on pre-Prohibition cocktails and their constituents for a number of years and, in looking at the wider history (and maybe another book,) I'm again expanding my purview. WS is simply excellent. I've spent the entire day reading posts, rules, suggestions, and reviews. Both here and at Oxygenee.com I see amazing strides having been made since I published my first absinthe article back in '93. Greetings to all of you.

Now, back to being on topic: As I say, I've read (and read, and read) reviews - think of me as frozen early homo sapiens, all awake and lively, now. I read not only the reviews but, I think the reviewers as well. What I'd like to ask is for the principals (you know who you are) to simply list in order your favorite absinthes. To some extent I know, but the act of ordering them may produce some second thoughts and trends, perhaps?

I grabbed these names from my readings. Please add, subtract explain why - or don't. Just your choices in order of preference, as many or few as you care to list.

François Guy

Kübler 53

Verte de Suisse

Edouard

Duplais Verte

Segarra 45

Combier Blanchette

Eichelberger 68

Markus Special

Montmartre

Un Emile 68

Clandestine la Bleu

La Fee

Thanks, and I'm glad to be here!

--Doc.

PS: If there was a preferable place to make my intro, I didn't find it.

Never had Segarra or Markus Special.

The rest I've tried and enjoyed.

Having a glass or several of Ike right now.

I'm anxious to read your posts.

:cheers:

I'd be in a bind if I didn't suggest this place: Newcomer Introductions

It's all good Doc.

Many thanks. The obvious lack of my downward scrolling ability - that might, just might, have allowed me to find the Ellis Island portal for hopeful newcomers such as myself - I attribute to shoddy parenting, lack of sufficient social infrastructure, and stupidity. As it is I am branded as the feller who cannot find the Newcomer Introduction forum subsection.

I am so ashamed.

--Doc.

It's all good Doc. We are in fact human. I promise I make more mistakes than the normal man. Welcome just the same and have fun. This is my favorite place to play.

Welcome Doc! It's good to have you here. :cheers:

Don't worry about the misplaced intro. :devil:

My re-ordering according to my tastes:

Pernod Fils, c. 1910, Cannes cache

Pre-ban Edouard Pernod (I don't recall the year)

Blanchette

Edouard

Clandestine la Bleue

Kübler 53

François Guy

Serpis

Eichelberger 68

Duplais Verte

Montmartre

Verte de Suisse

Un Emile 68

La Fee

Segarra 45

Haven't had the Markus Special. I had some earlier prototypes, but I don't think they went into production. The bottom seven selections pretty much all vie for runner-up. I would drink them at a party for the sake of variety perhaps, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get any of them.

[Edited to include the pre-ban and Serpis]

Edited by Hiram

Welcome and :cheers:

It looks like you might offer some good information, Doc.

I'm a relative new comer to absinthe but for the sake of my two cents...

Edouard

Blanchette

Clandestine la Bleue

Eichelberger 68

Blanche de Fougerolles

Kübler 53

Elixir du Pays des Fées

François Guy

Then there is the list that I want to try and the list I don't see myself ever re-ordering. Mustn't get those confused! ;)

Welcome! :cheers:

My 1/50th of a dollar:

Blanchette

Brut d'Alambic

Edouard

Clandestine

Verte Suisse

Nouvelle Orleans

François Guy

Kübler

Verte de Fougerolles

Montmartre

Eichelberger ( Verte )

Duplais ( first edition )

Mari Mayans instead of La Fée

Thank you for the warm welcome. The speed with which your posts went up make me think you all used the internets to get here. Very spiffy. I'm loving your answers, and hope the rest of the Board Terrors will respond. I can even make it a game G&C can play. In fact, it becomes more interesting (and telling) this way: As before, list in order your favorite CO absinthes, then insert the various HG offerings (the ones you heard in vague rumors might possibly exist but probably not) into their respective hierarchical positions in the list (based on what you theorize they MIGHT taste like, blah blah woof woof.) I don't care about any specifics of identification between them (though the other BTs might.) For me, it'll just be an illustration of the degree to which the HG Movement has achieved critical mass - oh, I'm sorry - critical louche. TGO, Abs, G&C, GT, Str, Harts, and the rest, I will value your input!

Thanks! --Doc.

PS: Special thanks to WBT: Now I finally @#$%!! know what "VDF" stands for.

:cheers: Welcome abord, Doc! I found that two 50cl of Eich verte with a Kübler 53 liter in the middle make for a well balanced shipping package! :wacko: Welcome! :wave2: B)

Welcome, Doc. You're familiar with any potable distillate?  Ever had an aqua rubea?

Aqua Rubea isn't distilled, it's a macerate. :devil:

Doc, my list would stay the same but I'd have to add about six or seven HGs to the top of it.

HG is a tricky beast to review or comment on since the only way to get any is to either know someone who is making it or to show up at an event where it's likely to be. Stuff comes and goes; there are one-off batches, names and recipes change frequently.

Some good things that have come my way:

Marteau de Cerveau

Tabascaux Treue La Bleue

Pacifique Jura

Pacifique Pontarlier

Texas Nimes

Pignon et L'Épée Besançon

Pignon et L'Épée Swizzlé

Bob Dylan's Dream

Dead Soldier Blanche

A'Yahos Pontarlier

A'Yahos Blanche

A'Yahos Besançon

White Goddess

ADN Magical Wormwood Elixir

Morte Rat

NO (Nile Occidentalis-or-something)

Tabascaux Jolie Rouge

Okay, so that's more than six or seven. There's more, but that's off the top of my head.

Well, I suppose that supports the ascendant quality of HG. I surmise that the POV is that quality suffers in major distillation runs in a way that it doesn't when producing artisinal small batches; at least when dealing with absinthe. It's very thought provoking. --Doc.

I think that the ratio of mediocre to good stuff is probably about the same. I've had some pretty sub-standard HG. Obviously, the best commercials are going to come from people who were first doing HG, out of love for the drink—people like Bugnon, Kübler, Breaux, etc. Most of the poorer COs come from bandwagon jumpers—people who recognized that "there's gold in them thar stills!" who prey on the ignorance of consumers.

Most HGers cook in small batches of 1 to 4 liters at a time. It's demonstrable that the same techniques and recipes can be scaled up to possibly a few hundred liters (since most HGers simply scaled down from 100-liter recipes anyway), but regular production on a mass market scale would probably be problematic in terms of labor intensity and especially securing sufficient quantities of consistent-quality ingredients.

:clap: HOORAY! :yahoo: Doc, it's so great to see you here! :wave:

I've had amazing HGs at Louchefests (and on other occasions as well), but names go in one head and out the other with me. My CO candidates:

Edouard

Eichelberger Verte

Le Bleue Clandestine

Verte Suisse

Nouvelle-Orléans

Blanchette

Kübler 53

Blanche de Fougerolles

Of the popular COs, François Guy is the only absinthe I really dislike. And the Montmarte is SO weird that I'd recommend postponing it until you've tried the others.

Seattle is very much the center of America's absinthe universe, so look to that contingent for advice on HGs.

I'd agree with Brooks on the Monmartre. I really enjoy it, but definitely go with an Ike/K53 combo for a first shipment. I'm also on the "something's not quite right with the Guy" wagon. I am not educated enough yet to pick out what exactly is off about it, all sock jokes aside. Also, I might be one of the few who wasn't a big fan of the CLB, but I am a fan of the VdF. Go figure. And yes, I am in the Asparagus Pee Camp.

Welcome to the board! :cheers:

Brooks!!! My buddy!!! Little did I know you were (shudder) an Absinthe habitué! It's not all Mother-In-Laws with you is it? It is utterly fascinating how the CO selections shift depending on whose tastebuds they are tickling. So far, the suggestions are mirroring my back research. I loved your post on the Montmartre; you formulate such eclectic review language!

Hiram's HG recitation and your memory erasure are my lesson to take notes when I taste That Which Intrisically Lacks Labels (TWILL) and I twill. --Doc.

My re-ordering according to my tastes:

Blanchette

Clandestine la Bleue

Kübler 53

Chances are you'll like all three La Valote absinthes, then, and the Duvallon.

How about you, Sixela? Please do list your hit parade. I'm actually doing an Excel spreadsheet of all the responses, each column with the pundit's moniker. I'm already seeing patterns. Of course that could be a flashback. Or maybe I accidentally watched Num3ers on the televisor device. --Doc.

Brooks!!! My buddy!!! Little did I know you were (shudder) an Absinthe habitué!
Don't you mean Absinthe Fiend?

I'm not putting myself down when I say that I don't know squat about absinthe, but I Know What I Like. If you're looking to be educated, you'd do well to befriend the forum heavyweights and professors. My function here is, as in life, purely ornamental.

For those you meeting him for the first time, Doc and Robert ("Drinkboy") have been instrumental in reviving the lost art of the cocktail. It is a great honor to have them here with us.

Those of you who run in cocktail circles have undoubtedly come across Doc's writings, heard his radio interviews, attended his lectures, played with the Doctor Cocktail action figure, and bought the Doctor Cocktail lunch box.

I will now pimp his book, since my grandmother's cocktail (the "Mother-In-Law") is in it. And it's a marvelous book.

Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails

Yes, you'll all see it first.

Going back over the responses, I see I missed a thing or two. 1) aqua rubea: yes, and athol brose and hypocras too!

2) Jane, Jetzster, Martin, Derrick, Absomphe (ESPECIALLY you, Sir! Yours would start with Eichelberger, would it not? Or perhaps a HG?), sandpedlar...thanks for the greetings, please, please do list your faves. And OMG_Bill - what order for your sip prefs, or did you like them all equally?

My chart's value will build exponentially the more educated opinions I get. Thanks! --Doc.

You'd be surprised how really affordable it is to get Brooks to do that for you, too®!

If you really want a sense of my opinions (opinions, who? Me?) you might want to check out my columns here. Suffice to say I am NOT in the pocket of Big Liquor. I'm surprised they haven't hired a hit man.

--Doc.

How about you, Sixela? Please do list your hit parade. I'm actually doing an Excel spreadsheet of all the responses, each column with the pundit's moniker. I'm already seeing patterns. Of course that could be a flashback. Or maybe I accidentally watched Num3ers on the televisor device.  --Doc.

Commercials only, right.

Pernod Fils 1910 (Cannes cache)

Pernod Tarragona 1930 (Edouard Pernod clone)

Pernod Tarragona 1950

Verte Suisse (recent batch)

La Valote Martin

Duvallon

Nouvelle Orleans (recent batch)

Blanchette (aged sufficiently) or La Valote Fornoni

La Ptite

Eichelberger

Segarra 45

Artemisia Clandestine

La Valote Bovet

The next batch of the Brut d'Alambic (which I had the chance to sample) would probably also make the grade, unlike the predecessor (I still have one and a half bottle...).

Hi doc!

I'm really bad at remembering what I have had but here are at least a few I know I like

Edouard

Verte Suisse

Nouvelle Orleans (although I haven't had it in a long time)

VdF

Kallnacher

There are others that I know I like but I can't remember what they were maybe Shai can help me out.

sandpedlar...thanks for the greetings, please, please do list your faves.

Really, thus far, that's about it, as far as everyday sipping and re-orders go...

K53, Monmartre and possible the Ike.

Great articles, by the way. I am a straight-scotch gal, and coktail-ally challenged. Anything in the way of extry mixology is a big help.

:drunk: