• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,253 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:50 AM

Sure, but this time, if he found it empty, he'd be lucky.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#32 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 08:44 PM

Nothing for us tea drinkers though.

Damnit.

Oh well. Tea's burstin' with antioxidant goodness, or something.

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#33 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• 3,302 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:07 AM

Coors has been watered down beer for 30+ years.

Mega Swill.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's like making love in a canoe......"fucking close to water"!
"I really like depriving myself of things. It's fun! Very monastic." - Kosmo

#34 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,254 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 03:00 PM

Well put.
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#35 Guillaume Lanfray

Guillaume Lanfray

Nobodaddy's sweetheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:38 AM

It's better than that Heineken  :poop: , just ask Frank Booth.

And Will Durst:

Pabst Blue Ribbon Celebration Act.
Screw Heineken. Pabst Blue Ribbon. Beer comes in brown bottles. Shampoo comes in green bottles.

#36 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,903 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:02 AM

Heineken is the european equivalent of Coors or Budweiser. All of which I will pass on...
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#37 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,253 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:33 PM

Stella Artois is worse, especially since it's Belgian.

Even allowing for corporate greed, they should know better.

#38 sixela

sixela

• PipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:05 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Stella Artois may be disappointing, especially for a Belgian beer, it's still light years ahead of Heineken (especially here, where it's brewed in Leuven and not manufactured under license by someone else).

But if you're into that kind of mass-produced InBev crap, Jupiler (brewed in Jupille, and one of the few unpasteurized mass-produced "pils") is better - but harder to find, because it doesn't travel well.

#39 InAbsinthia

InAbsinthia

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 04:13 AM

I think that was one of my biggest (maybe only!) disappointments when we went on our Australian vacation - the beer was generally mediocre. I thought they had a better reputation but I was, in general, underwhelmed. The most popular beer there was Victoria Bitters (VB), which was about as good as you could expect for a mass market beer - ie, not very distinctive. There was a great home brew found at a bar in The Rocks in Sydney. My favorite "national" brand was the Cooper's, which is the beer from Adelaide.
all the green children pine for you
they learned all your secrets and made up your mind for you
although they were unkind to you
all the green children pine for you.
-- Winterpills, "a benediction"

#40 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• 3,302 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:18 AM

I like their Vintage Ale.
"I really like depriving myself of things. It's fun! Very monastic." - Kosmo

#41 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,253 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:42 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Stella Artois may be disappointing, especially for a Belgian beer, it's still light years ahead of Heineken (especially here, where it's brewed in Leuven and not manufactured under license by someone else).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You must, indeed, be getting the "good", indigenous stuff.

#42 drcocktail

drcocktail

• PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:31 AM

I know nothing of Beer, Ale, Porter, Pilsner, Stout, or any of the related ferments I'll just call "beer."

This has me thinking though....what would happen if we were able to introduce a person to absinthe who had never encountered the hyperbole, the fascination, the misinformation, the opinions - in short, a person who knew NOTHING about absinthe.

Now, rather than 'schooling' them as we might, we just left them with sugar, water, ice (we'll leave out the matches) and a range of absinthe-labeled products ranging from Hill's to the finest HG made, let say.

So...would this person (given no hatred of anise) navigate to one or more of the best ones entirely on the basis of human inventiveness and the overriding quality of the stuff we tout as best?

At a certain point, it comes down to PH balance in a given person's saliva and the hereditary acuity of their taste buds to determine what will present as pleasant and good. I say this because, again, I know nothing of beers and I've never had ego / disdain / prejudice / opinions about beer but from those I have, for whatever reason LIKED. That's why my choices might be odd, but they were based entirely on my taste buds and not external factors.

My top beers:
1) Golden Eagle Beer (India)
2) Falstaff (old formulation from the original brewery)
3) Boulevard Pale Ale
4) Labatt's Velvet Cream Porter
5) John Courage
6) Dos Equis
7) Guiness Stout
8) Any Old Thing When I'm Mowing the Grass

Uneducated palate? Yes, but sincere. Might be interesting to see the process play out with absinthe.
Fledermaus means inflatable mouse.

#43 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,253 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:40 AM

Original Falstaff?

Your age is showing, Doc. ;)

What, no 8.2 % Ballantine IPA, aged one year in wood?

Seriously, before the advent of the micros, my list wouldn't have been that different from yours, except perhaps for Dinkelacker on draft, and maybe MacEwan's Tartan Ale, in place of the Guinness, and the Courage.

#44 drcocktail

drcocktail

• PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:17 AM

Yeah, the microbrewery thing happened just about the time I got my doctorate in Cocktology. I should get out more. :huh:
Fledermaus means inflatable mouse.

#45 ShaiHulud

ShaiHulud

Dr. Valentin Magnan wannabe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:14 AM

I really like the MacEwans Scotch Ale (I have always thought it tasted like a good brown ale and a single malt) but I have never seen the Tartan. I will have to keep my eyes open. My favourite local micro, "Bigsky Brewery" makers of Moose Drool, Skape Goat pale ale, Slow Elk porter, etc... has finally released an IPA that is fair. They make a seasonal Scotch Ale but I have not found it yet.
Litany against fear of Absinthe - I must not fear Absinthe. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my Absinthe. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the Absinthe has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

#46 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,253 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:24 AM

Sorry, Shai, the MacEwans Tartan disappeared shortly after 1982, if memory serves.

However, there is Younger's Tartan, which tastes nearly identical, although I've only been able to find it (on draught) in Canadia.

It's sort of a cross between the MacEwan's Scotch, and the old MacEwan's Edinburgh, which had a wonderful hint of roast bacon underpinning the peatiness.

#47 Doyle

Doyle

• PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:15 AM

I have lately become a big fan of the Rogue beers. Particulary the Shakespeare Stout, though the Chocolate Stout, Mocha Porter, and the Hazelnut Brown Nectar are also well up on my list. Any other Rogue fans out there?
"You and your fookin rope....." - The Boondock Saints

#48 Gertz

Gertz

Stale pastry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:34 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You must, indeed, be getting the "good", indigenous stuff.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even if licensed by some foreign brewery, I'd take a Stella before a Heineken any time. Stella is just plain, simple, boring beer. Heineken has some weird, crappy taste to it.
+

#49 Stevian

Stevian

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:13 PM

At the risk of well and truly put in my place, when it come to beer wars i have one word for you:

XXXX
or
4X
or
Fourex
(Yes, its a beer) I realize among Americans Fourex is something else entirely and slogans like "I can feel a Fourex coming on" and "Make it a Fourex, Mate" can seem bizarre even risible, but that does not alter the fact that it's a bloody good beer, end of story.
I don't do drugs. I AM drugs -- Salvador Dali

#50 Jane Avril

Jane Avril

• PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 12:05 AM

Fourex sounds like a condom.

I like Dos XX.
Lizard licks his eyeball. -- Burt Bacharach

#51 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 01:48 AM

It's like making love in a canoe......"fucking close to water"!

:laf:

I love that!

Does anybody know how long beer lasts in the refrigerator?
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#52 Jane Avril

Jane Avril

• PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 06:05 AM

Prolly till you open it. Almost all non-homemade beers have preservatives in them these days, even Coors. <shudder>
Lizard licks his eyeball. -- Burt Bacharach

#53 ShaiHulud

ShaiHulud

Dr. Valentin Magnan wannabe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 07:45 AM

slogans like "I can feel a Fourex coming on" and "Make it a Fourex, Mate" can seem bizarre even risible, but that does not alter the fact that it's a bloody good beer, end of story.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The word "risible" makes me laugh. Well done, mate!
Litany against fear of Absinthe - I must not fear Absinthe. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my Absinthe. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the Absinthe has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

#54 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,253 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:09 AM

Stevian, I wouldn't think of putting you in your place over an inconsequential thing like beer.

Besides, considering that "your place" is a former penal colony, I think your choice of Phoo-Rex is quite discriminating! :harhar:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association