Auguru

London, Lisbon recommendations?

I'll be making my first trip to London this Thursday. I'll only be there a couple of days, but would appreciate any suggestions for pub/bar/clubs and absinthe. More importantly, suggestions for readily accessible vendors/liquor stores (besides the Gatwick airport)? I'd like to pick up a bottle of Jade Blanchette, among other possibilities. The LdF site has a couple, but they do not mention much beyond the Emiles, Fougerolles, and Jades (excepting the Blanchette, of course).

A couple of days later I'll be in Lisbon for a meeting. Same questions.

Much obliged in advance for any guidance.

I'm not sure the Blanchette is available in stores there. If it is I'd think that The Soho Wine Supply would be the best bet.

Email LdF about it, they ought to know.

La Fée is available in most stores carrying a wider selection of spirits.

Never been to London, but in Lisbon is a cool place called the Chinese Pavilion. I ordered absinthe from their extensive alcohol menu and got something I swear said that it was a product of Portugal. I remember (drunkenly) checking the bottle and it was just called Absinthe with a silvery label...but I have zero idea what brand, etc.

If you happen to go to the Chinese Pavilion, I'd be interested to find out what they serve there. They served it to me on the rocks, so if you want it otherwise, I suggest that you tell them.

Have fun on your trip!!!

Call these guys before you go, tell them you're coming to see them to get the Blanchette (they don't currently stock it, but carry the rest of the Jades and VDF/BDF):

Soho Wine Supply

18 Percy Street

London

W1T 1DX

+44 20 7636 8490

if they know right away, you may have it by the beginning of next week.

can't promise anything...other than that, order it from LDF and have it shipped to your UK hotel (no shipping charges in the UK).

I remember (drunkenly) checking the bottle and it was just called Absinthe with a silvery label...but I have zero idea what brand, etc.

Probably Neto Costa. Eeeeoooow!

A brief update:

I never heard from The Traveller, so didn't run into him while in Lisbon.

While in London, I did pick up a bottle of Jade Verte Suisse (at Soho Wine), which I will be trying later tonight. Had a chance to try the La Fee at a pub and found it a bit too thin and a bit too sweet, almost candy-like. Consequently, I did not pick up a bottle.

While in Lisbon, I picked up a bottle of "Absinto" from Neto Costa (Portuguese). It had a sticker on it proclaiming it the "Silver Medal Winner" at the 2005 "Brussels Spirits Award". Says it is 57%. Tried it last night. Sinked it halfway through the glass. A disappointment, but one I hand anticipated. Glad I only paid about 11 Euros for it. Also picked up a bottle of Rodnik's Absinthe (70%, from Spain). Like the Neto Costa, it has an artificial green color. Neither louched. The Rodnik's at least had a more realistic wormwood flavor, but it is another I will never buy again. It was likewise cheap, at about 12 Euros. I ran across old bottles of Pernod pastis in a couple of stores, but did not buy. Saw bottles of Trenet, but steered clear.

Never saw any sign of artisanal absinthe, but I was mostly confined to Lisbon and did not get to see much of the marketplaces where that kind of thing might show up.

Lisbon itself (and a brief visit to Sintra) was great and given a chance, I'll have to go back. Soccer/Football fever was in high gear there and I enjoyed the enthusiasm at the bar on several occasions.