GrayWolf

Easyjet article 2006

On my way to Ireland I decided to pick up the little magazine and there was a nice little article on Absinthe in it. I brought home the little magazine and will scan it later tonight and post it here

And a little press for a WS member:

So popular has Absinthe become, that Paris has now opened its first “Absinthe boutique”. Aptly named “Vert d’Absinthe”, it’s an intriguingly cluttered little shop, with the knowledgable owner, Luc-Santiago Rodriguez usually available to offer a tasting. Since in France the drink is generally labelled “Versinthe”, he’ll probably tell you to look out for the words “Aromatisés à la plante d’Absinthe” on the label.

Nice article.

It's great to see more and more articles getting it right.

When journalists ask about absinthe to right people, it's all right.

Fortunately, the writer didn't talk about modern absinthe to MC Delahaye but to people aware of the correct information :)

I was once contacted by a Swedish TV-production company who asked me to help them find the right people in France. I of course directed them to Pierreverte whom they contacted. If I recall correctly they even set up a meeting, This meeting was then cancelled by them in the last minute. Later on, when the show aired it turns out the idiots had met MCD instead. Need I say more?

Lousy program.

I think I saw that program, Hartsmar. Was it like two years ago, and called something like "Absolut absint - historien om ett grönt gift" (transl. the story of a green poison)? If so, that was indeed a lousy program. Lots of old goth women pestering about the 'similarities between thujone and THC'. Although one of them said something quite fun, and true, like "When people drink booze they often talk a lot of rubbish, but when they drink absinth(e) they often talk a lot of poetic rubbish"...

I think I saw that program, Hartsmar. Was it like two years ago, and called something like "Absolut absint - historien om ett grönt gift" (transl. the story of a green poison)? If so, that was indeed a lousy program. Lots of old goth women pestering about the 'similarities between thujone and THC'. Although one of them said something quite fun, and true, like "When people drink booze they often talk a lot of rubbish, but when they drink absinth(e) they often talk a lot of poetic rubbish"...

Sounds like a paraphrasing of Oscare Wilde, as mentioned in the "Hideous Absinthe" book:

Someone asked Wilde why he tolerated such a drunk [Ernest Dowson], to which he replied that it is not regrettable that a poet is drunk, but that more drunks aren't poets.

Yes, that "documentary" was very... ummm... Michael Moore-ish. HA!

No, seriously, they did a program about absinthe... Where did they travel to learn more? To San Fransisco and Prague!

And that, just after the intro, telling how absinthe was a French/Swiss thing to start with.

YAY! Good thinking.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: 30 March, 2005 09:57

Subject: SV: Swedish television

Dear Peter,

I asked David if he could recommend anyone that can talk about absinthe in an interview with Swedish television.

I work with a show concerning beer, wine and spirits and we are in Paris on Wednesday the 6th of April and Thursday the 7th of April and would really like to get an interview with you. We would like to talk about absinthe, the myth, the history and the traditional way of drinking absinthe.

We would be very grateful if you would consider to give an interview.

If there’s anything more you’d like to know just ask!

Sincerely,

Emilia Eklund

>Den 05-03-30 17.28

emilia,

please let me know your schedule for an interview. the best time would be mid-afternoon (3-5 PM) on either day.

i can arrange a tasting in a wine shop near me, where they also sell absinthe. here i can tell you about absinthe and show how it was served, show some antiques, etc.

will this work for you?

all the best,

peter

>Fri 01-Apr-05 12:18

Peter,

I am sorry for the late reponse.

Unfortunately we have had a change of plans and won’t be able to make it to an interview with you. Thank you so much for your cooperation!

Best regards,

Emilia Eklund

"fuck you and good night!!"

Easyjet seem to have a thing about absinthe: in April they had an article that included George Rowley, the owner of La Fée and eAbsinthe. The journalist got the sales numbers completely wrong.