Scott R. Cohen

Almost...Broke...Fountain

Where's Mrs. Grey Boy when you need 'er?

Some places that sell crystal drinkware have subcontractors who can repair glass. So, you can actually get someone to do this for you, if your fountain really has some sentimental value. The subcontractor is usually the local art glass house. They use ultraviolet glue (sold to the public as rear-view mirror adhesive) and a UV light to repair all manner of irreplaceable glass stuff. It works splendidly. The glass has to be in two pieces for the bond to set, so sometimes they will strategically break a piece that's cracked before gluing it.

We should inform our vendors to get on the manufacturers to start employing tempered glass like any prudent company would do. Statisticly this is probably a huge problem. The only reason to use untempered glass is that it's CHEAP!

I swear, we were ever so careful. :(

The hole is about the size of a

penny. I suspect the culprit was an

over eager ice cube.

Next plan: remove glass and replace

with a food grade plexi container.

Thanks, PB.

I think my Propmaster theatre training will serve me well on this one. Granted, it won't be quite as pretty but I suspect it'll be much more durable.

What became of Hiram's ceramic fountains? I check the WS store from time-to-time but I guess I missed the boat. Double :(

The loss of the etched glass recepticle (spell check, please) has got to hurt.

I think Hiram's still taking names for the fountain wrestle-fest.

Bookies are making odds.

(I hear Grim is a hands down favorite.)

Sorry to hear about your fountain T73. I hope you can get it fixed up. Not knowing about these things, would a glass blower be able to fix it? It wouldn't look as good as new, but maybe?

Perhaps this is a just an excuse to get Hiram fountain. Not that any excuse was needed.

Thanks for the feelings all. It is disappointing to see the water gush all over the table. It is/was a beautiful thing but not quite practical for daily use, I'm afraid. Well, not practical for someone like myself, at least. For those of you with intact fountains, the lesson is (as previously mentioned in this thread by Hiram) to always add your water first! Unfortunately, you only get to screw-up once.

Gimme a few days and hopefully, I can post the recreation.

Sorry to hear about your mishap T73. Those fountain are gorgeous and delicate. You may have to think outside the box for a suitable fix.

I'm anxious to see the ceramic units in the WS store, along with several others amongst us.

Drilling rigs and the like are better for me to work on.

It's tough to fix nice glass with a big hammer.

Good luck and may finesse be with you.

:cheers:

Edited by OMG_Bill

I'm anxious to see the ceramic units in the WS store, along with several others amongst us.

Hmmm. I hadn't thought of seeing us on sale at the WS store. Did I sign up for this? Where do I 'opt out'? Should I 'opt out'? :wave2:

After all the kind comments on the loss of our fountain, here's the rest of the story.

No, not as pretty as before but functional and a lot tougher!

P2.jpg

A Little Blanche and A Simple Verte

P1.jpg

If you look very closely you will see a wood pile hidden in the background of the pic.

Only T73 would have caught it. He's obsessed with wood piles today. But fall is on the way and it is time to get the wood in. Can you believe summer is almost over? To another season change! :cheers:

No problem, PB. I have about 20 cords of Fir and Larch cut, stacked and ready to move. Load up your truck and we'll put that repaired fountain through it's paces. :cheers:

Edited by Theatre73

Twenty cords! :worshippy:

If only you were a drive away.

I'd do it at the drop of a hat.

And at that, not even for wood or libations.

Just for the chance to meet you and Maggie.

:cheers:

Too easy Jetzster. I found a $4.99 acrylic food container at one of our local box stores. 45 minutes with my trusty Dremel and done. The only difficult challege was removing the broken glass and sealant. Yes, Maggie, I wore my safety glasses. :P