Werewolf7

Cigar Smokers?

Second-hand smoke refers to cigarettes. A cigar is nothing more than tobacco, except maybe those that are flavored. But, cigarettes are made up of tobacco + 783 different chemicals. Smoking a cigarette is the equivalent of smoking a house fire. Bad stuff man. Besides, most restaurants that allow smoking still don't allow cigar smoking. It's tobacco racism at its finest, I tell ya!

I've tried a great number of cigars; my quest in the beginning, as with absinthe, was to maximize both my knowledge of the distinct tastes and the diversity of the ones I tried. Here are the basics of what I found to interest my own tastes:

- Te Amo (a Mexican cigar) maduros are very rich and bold without any of the negative mouthfeel, bite, or aftertaste of some maduros (even or maybe especially Cubans) that I've tried. They're one of my favorites. Think of them as the Shiraz of cigars.

- Macanudo Churchills are a smooth, subtle, taste that put me in the mind of the pleasant smells of leather and oak. Macanudo ascots taste essentially the same, but are much smaller and retain an even draw throughout.

- Price and origin by themselves seem to mean very little with cigars, in my book. While a Cuban Romeo y Julieta is magnificent, I'm not overly impressed with Cuban Cohibas, particularly considering the price.

- For the days when you want to "slum it" a little and still have a cigar that is enjoyable, I like Backwoods "Sweet & Aromatic" in the khaki colored pack. It's a bit like a pipe tobacco, Clint Eastwood style ugly cigar wrapped in Connecticut Broadleaf. I have yet to enjoy a single "over-the-grocery-store-counter" brand (White Owls, etc.) and you generally, at the low end, get what you pay for. That particular style of Backwoods, however, is an unusual exception for me. I like them after a long day working in the pasture with the horses, sitting under an oak tree, with sweet iced tea.

-Where possible, for economy's sake, try "seconds" of your favorite brand. They are essentially cosmetic rejects, with a discolored or overly veiny leaf on the wrapper, and lack the decorative label ring on each cigar (they come packaged in a labelled bundle), but you can generally get them at about 1/3 to 1/2 the price. In a bundle of Macanudo Ascot seconds I recently purchased, only one had a truly damaged wrapper rendering it difficult to draw. I bought a couple of dozen cigars for the usual price of a half dozen. All but the one were every bit as good as their more expensive counterparts.

I used to hire cigar roller for events, the only issue is that you need to let them sit in a humidor for about 6 months before you smoke them. A company out of Pasadena use to have a roller for Cuba setup & roll for 2 hours. Cost was about 400 bucks. He would roll something like 10-15 cigars an hour uninterrupted. It's interesting to watch.

Second-hand smoke refers to cigarettes. A cigar is nothing more than tobacco, except maybe those that are flavored. But, cigarettes are made up of tobacco + 783 different chemicals. Smoking a cigarette is the equivalent of smoking a house fire. Bad stuff man. Besides, most restaurants that allow smoking still don't allow cigar smoking. It's tobacco racism at its finest, I tell ya!

599 chemicals. And just in the interest of accuracy, those are simply the approved additives, it doesn't mean they are all used at the same time. Still, there's a HUGE difference between real tobacco and American cigarettes. Turkish cigarettes are divine, and I don't mean Camels.

I agree with Hiram. I also really enjoy smoking a hookah every once in a while. I've found it's a much more refreshing smoke than a cigar. Not heavy at all. That is, unless you smoke the shisha without the aluminum foil to protect it from the charcoal, in which case it turns into a lung-busting nightmare... I don't know how some of the men at the middle eastern bar I go to do that.

Hiram, the new Surgeon General's report came out last week, it goes into details about second-hand smoke & shows it has been linked to certain cancers. Don't remember which ones, but they're all bad.

Second hand smoke is like breathing in Raid bug killer. Sure, you won't die right now, but in 15 yrs. you're gonna be messed up. Hence the ban on DDT.

Certain chemicals kill you in large doses & those chem's are in cigs. They build up over the years, like radiation. Your body never expels them.

Just like the X-files, the truth is out there, baby!

O.K., we could have done w/o the X-Files reference, but what the hell, I'm a little bit snockered right now anyway.

No Worries!

I do second hand smoke. Personally, I've never smoked but believe smokers are victims of discrimination. I used to sit in the smoking section of domestic flights (ah the good old days) because the smokers were more fun and less stuffy. Kind of odd don't you think. ;)

OK, maybe smoking is more harmful than absinthe drinking. I lament the banning of smoking through attrition almost entirely from a cultural standpoint. At the turn of the 20th century, books were published that were paeans to smoking - its simple luxury, its humanity. A great chunk of our sociological history may soon be cauterized. Next thing you know, they won't let me eat the lead paint chips anymore.

--Doc.

How is this not politics?

True enough; we're skirting the edges for sure. The politics rule refers primarily to partisan politics and nationalism, but I agree, this is flirting with the boundaries. I believe it's somewhat topical however, because of its harmony with the fate of absinthe. What concerns me is just the use of bad science and rhetoric to persuade people to abandon reason and critical thinking.

One of the things I've noticed is that the rhetoric used treats secondhand smoke as if it were a different substance from firsthand smoke, which of course it is not. Don't you think that if secondhand smoke were as insidiously toxic as they say it is, that smokers would be dropping like flies? If you look around you, you'll see that they are not. The HUGE majority of smokers develop no smoking related health issues. (upon reading more of the report, I've seen that he does in fact claim that "sidestream" smoke is different from "mainstream" smoke. Bollocks.)

This is a gem:

"Concentrations of many cancer-causing and toxic chemicals are higher in secondhand smoke than in the smoke inhaled by smokers."

So much for the perspicacity of the Surgeon General.

Um, forgetting for a moment that the quantity of secondhand smoke is infinitesimal compared to firsthand, are the smokers not inhaling both the firsthand smoke AND the same secondhand smoke as everyone else around them? Or does smoking make one immune to secondhand smoke?

I also noticed that in the synopses of the report, what was called "Supporting Evidence" were merely assertions, but I saw no evidence.

"Nonsmokers who are exposed to secondhand smoke at home or at work increase their risk of developing heart disease by 25 - 30 percent."

A fun statistical trick. Even the National Cancer Institute says increases in risk of less than 100 percent are too small to be relied on.

Besides, studies also revealed that around 15% of non-smokers are in fact smokers who lied because of job security, peer pressure, etc.

The studies used to support this sort of neo-prohibition (most of which are over 20 years old and have already been dismissed as junk science) are largely based on self-reporting (anecdotal evidence) and are a complete joke. He even cited reports from the 60s.

I'm perfectly willing to concede that a person should be able to avoid smoke if they chose, but this is a farce. I want to see The Health Consequences of Involuntary Exposure to Petroleum Fuel Exhaust.

This is the same thing that they did to absinthe.

What concerns me is just the use of bad science and rhetoric to persuade people to abandon reason and critical thinking. 

Yep. Nothing enrages the the lazy thinker more than the line "Of course you know, you're substituting rules for logic."

--Doc.

A fun statistical trick. Even the National Cancer Institute says increases in risk of less than 100 percent are too small to be relied on.

Most (though not all) epidemiologists would generally agree that you need a relative risk of at least 2.0 (lower confidence interval) before drawing conclusions.

One of the things I've noticed is that the rhetoric used treats secondhand smoke as if it were a different substance from firsthand smoke, which of course it is not. 

Leaving all toxicology issues aside, and with all due respect, I would point out that secondhand smoke aka Environmental Tobacco Smoke (ETS) is not a different substance than firsthand smoke but rather a different mixture of substances -- particularly with regard to cigarettes

More precisely, sidestream smoke is the unfiltered smoke that comes off a burning cigarette (cigar, pipe, etc.). Mainstream (inhaled) smoke is essentially this same as sidestream smoke minus whatever particles are trapped by the filter, if any. Exhaled smoke is a different mixture than what is inhaled (as I said, this refers primarily to cigarettes). In particular, certain compounds are absorbed into the body and the lungs tend to absorb a greater proportion of the larger particles while exhaling a relatively large share of smaller particles. Thus, the average particle size will vary between inhaled and exhaled smoke. The health significance of the differences between inhaled and exhaled smoke, to the best of my knowledge, is not clear.

ETS is a mixture of sidesteam and exhaled smoke. As indicated above, the ratio of compounds in that smoke will be different from mainstream smoke but the toxicological significance is uncertain.

O.K., I just ordered a box of Cuban Cohiba's from a new website I was turned on to. I'll let you guys know how it goes. They should be here in 6 to 12 days.

www.habanodirect.com

Woo-Hoo! My new Cee-Gars arrived today! I definitely recommend www.habanodirect.com for all your Cuban cigar needs. I prefer this site to the other one I mentioned in this post earlier. Top Notch!!

:guitar: :cigar: :banana:

I smoke a cigar every so often. I think since I was introduced to it in a men's focus group, I enjoyed them quite a bit. Come to think of it, it's about time to go make a purchase. :wave2:

My godmother went to Cuba this spring and i asked her to bring me back a box of Cuban cigars. So i got a box of 25 Montecristo n°4 for 140$CAN. Maybe not the best ones (prolly not in fact), yet such a box is worth around 450$CAN, so in the end it isn't that bad i guess.

I smoke one once in a while with a nice glass of Glenrothes Vintage Collection 1992.