Cigar Smokers?

• Please log in to reply
222 replies to this topic

#211 EdwardIIIAbsinthe

EdwardIIIAbsinthe

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:20 PM

I like cigars very much I started being an entrepreneur with my own cigar company about the time I started out working in the liquor business in retail and some Distributor work.
Edward III New York Absinthe Press:

http://www.edwardthethird.com

-----------------------------------------------

I slept with faith, and I found a corpse in my arms upon awakening. We drank and danced all night with doubt, and I found her a virgin in the morning."

Aleister Crowley

#212 JoeyBear

JoeyBear

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:36 PM

My one true vice, other than good liquor, is a good cigar. I have been collecting since about 2004 and have the of the 150 qt. coolers filled to the brim and 5 humidors that are full. My favorite brands are: anything blended by Pepin, La Flor Dominica, Oliva V and O Maduro, Fuente sharks and anejos, RP Edge Maduros, and a whole lot more.

If anyone from overseas ever wants to do a trade...cigars for absinthe...let me know :)

#213 tayker

tayker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:33 AM

I'm in love with the smooth Cohiba Black Robusto Crystal cigars. And they're cheaper than my favorite Camacho Triple Maduros.
When a person who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, they will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest.

#214 Cajun Magic

Cajun Magic

Diab Soulé

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

I love full-bodied cigars! i am partial to Gurkha, CAO, Don Leoncio Grand Reserve, Pinar Del Rio, Camacho Triple Maduro. Those are my go to cigars. I am very open minded to try something that looks and smells good. 7 years of enjoying cigars, I would consider myself a Cigar Afficionado and most people push the title on me. What can I say I am a connoisseur of fine things old sport :euro:

Edited by Cajun Magic, 22 July 2012 - 09:23 PM.

Laissez le bon temps rouler!
L' Huere Verte! C'est le bon temps!
Absinthe! Comme c'est la douceur de vivre!

#215 PerfesserCoffee

PerfesserCoffee

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:25 AM

Like absinthe, I don't have a lot experience, but after a bit of research have come across the Marsh Wheeling Deluxe II http://www.tophatcig...e-Ii---EMS.html as being, I think, fairly representative of a mid-19th century cigar. It is a mild sweet cigar that seems to go with anything and everything. I've tried stronger cigars and just gotten sick as a result but that may just be me.

The MW's give me a mild buzz and pleasant taste and go well with my reenacting. I usually only smoke cigars on reenactment weekends and that's the only time I smoke period. I want to try cigars with absinthe to see what that combination is like.
"Well, you can gamble for match sticks, You can gamble for gold. Stakes may be heavy or small. But if you haven't gambled for love and lost, Well, then you haven't gambled at all."--Frankie Laine

#216 thickasabrick

thickasabrick

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:05 AM

I've never tried them, but the price looks good! 55 bucks for a box of 50 cigars. That's a damn fine deal.

For me, proper freshness/humidity is very important. I'd rather smoke a cheap, fresh cigar than a brittle, dried-out Cuban. As long as storage temperature and humidity are controlled, a cigar can stay good for years.

I don't have a humidor, so I usually only smoke at cigar bars.
When life gives you lemons, garnish your martini.
When life gives you honey, trade it for some lemons.

#217 PerfesserCoffee

PerfesserCoffee

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:36 AM

I've never tried them, but the price looks good! 55 bucks for a box of 50 cigars. That's a damn fine deal.

For me, proper freshness/humidity is very important. I'd rather smoke a cheap, fresh cigar than a brittle, dried-out Cuban. As long as storage temperature and humidity are controlled, a cigar can stay good for years.

I don't have a humidor, so I usually only smoke at cigar bars.

Yeah, I've had good luck packing them away in a wooden crate. Inside their wrappers, they stay very fresh for months.

BTW: I'm smoking one of the Marsh Wheelings in my profile pic.

I have no idea what Cuban cigars are like. I suppose they come in a variety of flavors and strengths, right?

I researched cigars a while back and was glad to discover that cigars have been around since the 18th century, pipes being the first way of smoking tobacco, I think.
"Well, you can gamble for match sticks, You can gamble for gold. Stakes may be heavy or small. But if you haven't gambled for love and lost, Well, then you haven't gambled at all."--Frankie Laine

#218 Cajun Magic

Cajun Magic

Diab Soulé

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

Ceremonial Large Cigars predate the Travels of Christoforo Colombo. When he arrived in the West Indies Columbus was awestruck by cigars roughly the size of a didgeridoo! So when lighting up a cigar thank Columbus for bringing tobacco to Europe and it spreading to the U.S. upon Colonization! :thumbup:

Pipe Tobacco was used by tribal communities in ritual and trade. There are no solid records to which came first the pipe or cigar in the New World/West Indies, but Europeans took to the pipe first due to the ease of making,customization and smoking it. History is one of my aptitudes. It's my major! ;)

Oh and Cuban Cigars are just cigars. They are sought out because they are hand-rolled by the finest Tocedores in the world, making them last long and evenly burning. Oh and in the U.S. because of the Embargo :thumbdown: Wanting what you can't have, hype, Et Cetera. They are pretty good, but there are plenty of Dominican, Honduran,Nicaraguan,Et Cetera, brands I hold in high esteem.

The range from the light bodied Cohibas to the medium/full-bodied Montecristos, etc. They have different brands. I have had the pleasure of smoking quite a few in my seven years so far of enjoying cigars and I can name cigars with similar taste to the Cuban counterparts (Devil's Weed= Cohiba, etc.) :wave2:
P.S. When I get the time I will show my label collection of cigars that are looong gone. I started saving my labels a couple of years ago. IF I started out in the beginning I would have one hell of a collection! ;)

Edited by Cajun Magic, 12 August 2012 - 09:56 PM.

#219 thickasabrick

thickasabrick

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:55 PM

There's no trade embargo for Taiwan, which makes Cubans seem less hyped/mysterious.

Cigars are like wine - some people will tell you that French wine is always the best, but those same people probably couldn't tell French wine from Californian in a blind taste test.

I personally can't tell the difference between most Cuban and Dominican cigars. And, if I recall correctly, many Cuban cigar companies moved to the Dominican Republic during the communist revolution.
When life gives you lemons, garnish your martini.
When life gives you honey, trade it for some lemons.

#220 Cajun Magic

Cajun Magic

Diab Soulé

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:06 PM

You are correct about some Cuban Cigar companies moving to the D.R., even some Cuban Brands have sister Dominican versions as we know. I don't hype on Cubans. I was just giving my expertise on the subject. ;)
I could give some cigar smokers a cigar without the label and convince them it was a Cuban. Just like I could give a person some very fine Irish Whiskey and they'd be convinced they are drinking a Single Malt Whisky! I have actually had Irish Whiskey that strongly reminded me of some Single Malt Scotch. I just was awestruck at how it similar it was to Scotch. But I digress :cheers: Good is good no matter where it comes from :thumbup:

Edited by Cajun Magic, 12 August 2012 - 10:08 PM.

#221 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,187 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:10 AM

Good is good no matter where it comes from.

I can agree with that. It's amazing the good things that come from obscure places/people/countries and so on.
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#222 Riley5

Riley5

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

I love smoking maduros and have to say my favorite maduro is the Padron 1926 #2s, Arturo Fuente Anejo Sharks are a close second. The 1926s are pricy so I regularly smoke Perdomo Habano Maduro Robustos. For non-maduros I smoke Aurturo Fuente Hemmingways, Opus X's, and Hammer and Sickle Moscow Cities. I also smoke Cubans when I can get my hands on them.

#223 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:51 PM

My fav is the #9.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association