Werewolf7

Cigar Smokers?

Any cigar smokers here on the forum? I love a good smoke out on my porch while sipping some cognac, watching the sun go down. Pretty peaceful, in my otherwise hectic, stressful life.

I've always heard cigar-guys talking about smoking like I gush about absinthe. The mister wants to try a cigar.

When I was working at McMenamins in the mid 90s, we started selling cigars in the pub, then opened 'cigar bars' at the hotels. I tried one, during a staff meeting and thought I was going to die. They smelled like burning garbage. I think the most expensive one we sold was like $12, or so. Do I just need to find a better quality?

I would love to get him one to try, that he might enjoy. Any suggestions would be great.

~

I don't smoke but I've always enjoyed being around good cigars. I give them as gifts.

Just doesn't sound right does it?

I'm not a "serious" smoker, but I like good cigars, especially when I'm gardening, or "cigardening" as I've come to call it. A good cigar with a nice, old, single malt Scotch is awesome. Not bad with absinthe either.

I tried one, during a staff meeting and thought I was going to die. They smelled like burning garbage. I think the most expensive one we sold was like $12, or so. Do I just need to find a better quality?

While it doesn't necessarily follow that the more you spend, the better the cigar, it sure doesn't hurt.

I've had excellent $3 cigars and crappy $20 cigars. I've had horrible Cubans (that's pretty rare though) and great Dominicans. There are no good cigars at your drugstore. If it didn't come out of a humidor, don't even think about it.

I started with Arturo Fuente Curly Heads. They're fairly cheap, around $4, and reliably decent. Nat Cicco seconds are not a bad way to go if you don't want to spend a lot on experimenting at first. I like the claros (they're green).

Cigardening, eh? I like that. It's entertaining to watch Oscar on my father's riding mower smoking a cigar. He waits for the last, 'victory' lap and then drinks his absinthe while mowing and smoking.

Just about any cigar from Arturo Fuente is a good one.

My personal favorite is La Unica 400. It is made in the Fuente "fabricador" or however you spell factory in Spanish.

Dominicans tend to be the best.

I use to buy those years ago. Not a bad cigar but I thought there were some construction issue. The draw was inconsistent. That was 10 yrs ago I think, I have no idea what they are like now.

The cigars I have in my humidor right now are:

Cohiba

Punch

Padron

C.A.O. Flavours - Moontrance These are my fun cigars w/ great flavor for taking out to the bar.

Diamond Crown Maximus

La Gloria Cubano

Zino Platinum

Any one of those are a great choice for a smoke, with exception to the C.A.O. (It's what I call a novelty smoke). There are some serious C.A.O. cigars but I just have the flavours.

I have a box of Cuban Montecristo's on the way even as we speak. I can hardly wait.

P.S. Just checked my Humidor & found that I also have:

A. Fuente Gran Reserva

&

La Flor

These are also great choices.

:cheers: When I graduate from the FAA academy on July 19, I'm gonna light up my $25.00 Cohiba with Oh My God Bill and procede to get absinthnestisized.

Wray, look me up as well, I'm here in the big OKC and am looking forward to meeting you. OMG told me you were in town for school. Hang tight pal!

I went through a big cigar phase about 5 years ago. I think I probably smoked everything on the market at the time. Some of my favs are Perdomo, Padron (especially 1964), CAO, La Aurora, Leon Jimenez, Astral TVS, Bohemian, Cohiba Domincan, Trinidad, Ashton, AVO, and last but not least Drew Estate Naturals.

Anyone wanting to go adventurous, try the Drew Estate Acid line.

They're really out there. The tobacco is fermented/aged in curing rooms that have different botanicals present. It imparts essence without changing the flavor as much.

As a whole, they are not nearly as popular as the Natural line, but they do have a following. Each cigar name is different from the other in nuance and size/shape. Most common reference by mainstream smokers is "too perfumey", but I actually thought they were quite interesting. It is not everyone's cup-O-tea, especially if you only like traditional cigars, but I have enjoyed them since I have taken up Absinthe. I find they pair well.

I will say unequivicably that, Drew Estate makes some of the finest cigars on the planet and their construction and consistent burn are the best, in my opinion. Very interesting history behind their small beginnings out of Brooklyn.

My favorites are:

Natural

Dirt Torpedo

Jucy Lucy - Awesome 20 minute smoke

Clean Robusto

Blackout

Acid

Kong Cameroon

Nasty

Kuba

You might just want to go to your tobacconist and take a whiff of the boxes 1st.

FYI - They usually keep them separate so you might have to ask

i had a couple Acid cigars before i had any really good cigars.

there seemed to be a HUGE learning curve.

once i had more than a few 'regular' cigars, i thought the Acids tasted like shit.

ha.

ha.

but no, they taste more like you are smoking a cigar that has been shoved into a smelly hippy's pocket alongside incense and fromunda.

i WANTED to like them because my old lady liked the odor from them unlike 'normal' cigars,

but once i had a few cigar flavored cigars, and realized how good cigars can taste, i knew that i could never go back.

i haven't tried the naturals, so maybe they're not as obnoxious...

touché

I still stand behind Drew Estate's consistency in their roll/burn. I have never smoked a cigar from them that I had to re-light, did not burn down to within an inch, or remain cool. Can't say that for but a few.