Cigar Smokers?

• Please log in to reply
222 replies to this topic

#1 Werewolf7

Werewolf7

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:08 PM

Any cigar smokers here on the forum? I love a good smoke out on my porch while sipping some cognac, watching the sun go down. Pretty peaceful, in my otherwise hectic, stressful life.

#2 sandpedlar

sandpedlar

Big legs, cold hands.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:20 PM

I've always heard cigar-guys talking about smoking like I gush about absinthe. The mister wants to try a cigar.
When I was working at McMenamins in the mid 90s, we started selling cigars in the pub, then opened 'cigar bars' at the hotels. I tried one, during a staff meeting and thought I was going to die. They smelled like burning garbage. I think the most expensive one we sold was like $12, or so. Do I just need to find a better quality?
I would love to get him one to try, that he might enjoy. Any suggestions would be great.
~

#3 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:24 PM

I don't smoke but I've always enjoyed being around good cigars. I give them as gifts.

Just doesn't sound right does it?
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#4 Oscar

Oscar

“Life is good”

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:35 PM

I like gifts.
"Enjoy life. This is not a dress rehearsal."

#5 hissykitties

hissykitties

Ms. Sassypuss

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:36 PM

His trashcan is getting low on Cubans.
"The less I behave like Whistler's mother the night before, the more I look like her the morning after." ~ Tallulah Bankhead

#6 Oscar

Oscar

“Life is good”

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:39 PM

They always get pissed on pickup day.

#7 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,279 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:07 PM

I'm not a "serious" smoker, but I like good cigars, especially when I'm gardening, or "cigardening" as I've come to call it. A good cigar with a nice, old, single malt Scotch is awesome. Not bad with absinthe either.

I tried one, during a staff meeting and thought I was going to die. They smelled like burning garbage. I think the most expensive one we sold was like $12, or so. Do I just need to find a better quality?

While it doesn't necessarily follow that the more you spend, the better the cigar, it sure doesn't hurt.

I've had excellent $3 cigars and crappy $20 cigars. I've had horrible Cubans (that's pretty rare though) and great Dominicans. There are no good cigars at your drugstore. If it didn't come out of a humidor, don't even think about it.

I started with Arturo Fuente Curly Heads. They're fairly cheap, around $4, and reliably decent. Nat Cicco seconds are not a bad way to go if you don't want to spend a lot on experimenting at first. I like the claros (they're green).

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin
Distiller, Stone & Szilard Distilling Co.
www.absinthemarteau.com

#8 hissykitties

hissykitties

Ms. Sassypuss

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 05:38 AM

Cigardening, eh? I like that. It's entertaining to watch Oscar on my father's riding mower smoking a cigar. He waits for the last, 'victory' lap and then drinks his absinthe while mowing and smoking.
"The less I behave like Whistler's mother the night before, the more I look like her the morning after." ~ Tallulah Bankhead

#9 Stroller

Stroller

Really Advanced Member

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:32 AM

I like AVO Piramides. Just a nice mild cigar.

#10 celticgent

celticgent

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:42 AM

cigars smell like burning dogshit and rot your mouth with cancer.

A.Fuente, Gurkha, Punch, CAO, Indian Tabac.

#11 ShaiHulud

ShaiHulud

Dr. Valentin Magnan wannabe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 07:16 AM

They make fairly inexpensive cigars from aromatic pipe tobacco. They smell and taste great to me.
Litany against fear of Absinthe - I must not fear Absinthe. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my Absinthe. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the Absinthe has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

#12 kjBrew

kjBrew

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 08:15 AM

Just about any cigar from Arturo Fuente is a good one.
My personal favorite is La Unica 400. It is made in the Fuente "fabricador" or however you spell factory in Spanish.
Dominicans tend to be the best.

#13 Stroller

Stroller

Really Advanced Member

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 12:06 PM

I use to buy those years ago. Not a bad cigar but I thought there were some construction issue. The draw was inconsistent. That was 10 yrs ago I think, I have no idea what they are like now.

#14 Werewolf7

Werewolf7

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 03:59 PM

The cigars I have in my humidor right now are:

Cohiba

Punch

Padron

C.A.O. Flavours - Moontrance These are my fun cigars w/ great flavor for taking out to the bar.

Diamond Crown Maximus

La Gloria Cubano

Zino Platinum

Any one of those are a great choice for a smoke, with exception to the C.A.O. (It's what I call a novelty smoke). There are some serious C.A.O. cigars but I just have the flavours.

I have a box of Cuban Montecristo's on the way even as we speak. I can hardly wait.

P.S. Just checked my Humidor & found that I also have:

A. Fuente Gran Reserva

&

La Flor

These are also great choices.

#15 Stroller

Stroller

Really Advanced Member

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 04:14 PM

I have about a dozen #4 & 6 #2's in the humidor. I'm fond of the Romeo y Julieta Petit Coronas.

#16 Wrayalien

Wrayalien

Gone Star Trekkin'

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:29 PM

:cheers: When I graduate from the FAA academy on July 19, I'm gonna light up my $25.00 Cohiba with Oh My God Bill and procede to get absinthnestisized.
Don't listen to those who would water down ahhh burn up the true history of absinthe, rather research the facts to determine the significance of the Green Fairy. Those who can't do it themselves, get their kicks trying to undermine those who can.

#17 Werewolf7

Werewolf7

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 07:10 PM

Wray, look me up as well, I'm here in the big OKC and am looking forward to meeting you. OMG told me you were in town for school. Hang tight pal!

#18 Oscar

Oscar

“Life is good”

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 07:22 PM

Still waiting for my gifts.

#19 Wrayalien

Wrayalien

Gone Star Trekkin'

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 02:10 AM

:cheers: excellent Werewolf, methinks I could round up some good cigar butts at Makers and send them to Oscar.
Don't listen to those who would water down ahhh burn up the true history of absinthe, rather research the facts to determine the significance of the Green Fairy. Those who can't do it themselves, get their kicks trying to undermine those who can.

#20 kjBrew

kjBrew

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 06:30 AM

Stroller--

no draw problems nowadays. They taste better the further you puff. That's why I like em'!

#21 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• 3,302 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 04:15 AM

I went through a big cigar phase about 5 years ago. I think I probably smoked everything on the market at the time. Some of my favs are Perdomo, Padron (especially 1964), CAO, La Aurora, Leon Jimenez, Astral TVS, Bohemian, Cohiba Domincan, Trinidad, Ashton, AVO, and last but not least Drew Estate Naturals.

Anyone wanting to go adventurous, try the Drew Estate Acid line.
"I really like depriving myself of things. It's fun! Very monastic." - Kosmo

#22 Werewolf7

Werewolf7

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 06:46 PM

Hey Elfn, I saw those Acid Cigars at the store Saturday. What's the story on those? There was quite a selection.

#23 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• 3,302 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 06:19 AM

They're really out there. The tobacco is fermented/aged in curing rooms that have different botanicals present. It imparts essence without changing the flavor as much.

As a whole, they are not nearly as popular as the Natural line, but they do have a following. Each cigar name is different from the other in nuance and size/shape. Most common reference by mainstream smokers is "too perfumey", but I actually thought they were quite interesting. It is not everyone's cup-O-tea, especially if you only like traditional cigars, but I have enjoyed them since I have taken up Absinthe. I find they pair well.

I will say unequivicably that, Drew Estate makes some of the finest cigars on the planet and their construction and consistent burn are the best, in my opinion. Very interesting history behind their small beginnings out of Brooklyn.

My favorites are:

Natural
Dirt Torpedo
Jucy Lucy - Awesome 20 minute smoke
Clean Robusto
Blackout

Acid
Kong Cameroon
Nasty
Kuba

#24 Stroller

Stroller

Really Advanced Member

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:23 AM

I may have to try a couple of those...

#25 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• 3,302 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:31 AM

You might just want to go to your tobacconist and take a whiff of the boxes 1st.

FYI - They usually keep them separate so you might have to ask

#26 celticgent

celticgent

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:35 AM

i had a couple Acid cigars before i had any really good cigars.

there seemed to be a HUGE learning curve.

once i had more than a few 'regular' cigars, i thought the Acids tasted like shit.

#27 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• 3,302 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:36 AM

Reminiscent of peanuts?

#28 Stroller

Stroller

Really Advanced Member

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:37 AM

assid peanuts

#29 celticgent

celticgent

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:45 AM

ha.
ha.

but no, they taste more like you are smoking a cigar that has been shoved into a smelly hippy's pocket alongside incense and fromunda.

i WANTED to like them because my old lady liked the odor from them unlike 'normal' cigars,

but once i had a few cigar flavored cigars, and realized how good cigars can taste, i knew that i could never go back.

i haven't tried the naturals, so maybe they're not as obnoxious...

#30 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• 3,302 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:47 AM

touché

I still stand behind Drew Estate's consistency in their roll/burn. I have never smoked a cigar from them that I had to re-light, did not burn down to within an inch, or remain cool. Can't say that for but a few.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association