Sign in to follow this  
Grim

Prototype #27

Grim, am I mistaken or have you been expanding? Avatar-wise.

I am looking forward to the reviews on the prototype. Gathering up resources for my next order and can use advice.

I really enjoyed Prototype #27. Could have been my state of mind or it could have honestly been very good. It was comfortable and I wanted another bottle but I was to late. It went very fast.

If a more complex or systematic answer was desired......I can't reach that far yet.

I did share with a friend in this forum.

There is a little over half a bottle left to age in my cabinet.

Wish it would hurry! ;)

This is my favorite. Like OMG_Bill, I have about a half a bottle, sitting, waiting for July. I told myself only one drink and then let it age...well that didn't happen B) . I am not one to give a formal review but there is a flavor in here that I have not tasted in any other absinthe and it is very yummy.

post-647-1149129079_thumb.jpg

Anyone willing to share their opinion?

Hard to say - it's so dominated by thr pontica in the colouration (and the alcohol base) it's hard to say anything useful before it's aged a bit, unless you happen to love pontica.

I've been having little glasses of it every now and then since I got it. It improves very well. I like it. The dominant Pontica gets better and better balanced each time...

Pontica...now I know. Is it just me or does this absinthe have a maple/honey aroma to it? It will be interesting to watch the evolution of this product.

I missed the #27 when it was offered, but a good friend whose name, for the purposes of board etiquette, must remain swedish, sent me a sample.

The color, pre-louche, was second only to Edouard for perfection. I got the color pretty well in this first picture. Wow.

The aroma wasn't room-filling, like some, but appetizing, and smelled of more wormwood than the taste actually delivered.

The mouth-feel was about perfect. Not too thick, not too toungue-numbing. But full and powerful.

The taste was where the pepper bite appeared. I've been trying to figure out what makes the Eichelberger Verte taste peppery to me, so much so that I've begun saying I don't like it.

The Prototype #27 has that same peppery taste to me, but MUCH more in balance. ( is that the pontica Sixer's talking about? ) I like this absinthe. If this hadn't been the last of it, I would have ordered a bottle of this.

170644199_30ad1cd9a6.jpg

170644200_a546dcb2cf.jpg

170644203_82215f8dc8.jpg

170644206_748f889e13.jpg

The Prototype #27 has that same peppery taste to me, but MUCH more in balance. ( is that the pontica Sixer's talking about? )

No. the pontica is the intensely herbal, a bit grassy and heavy taste that binds everything together, the one that tastes a bit like mugwort smells, but in a much more fragrant way. Some of it is spicy, but I'd never call it "peppery" and it certainly doesn't "bite".

Based on the earlier prototypes (I haven't had the 27) I'm going with coriander.

The Prototype #27 has that same peppery taste to me, but MUCH more in balance. ( is that the pontica Sixer's talking about? )

No. the pontica is the intensely herbal, a bit grassy and heavy taste that binds everything together, the one that tastes a bit like mugwort smells, but in a much more fragrant way. Some of it is spicy, but I'd never call it "peppery" and it certainly doesn't "bite".

Pontica tastes like marigolds with a slight dusting of artichoke, especially if it's colored too hot... or so I've heard.

I would like to know, if you think, that the grape base is a must?

Last week I tasted two identical Absinthes - one made with regular alcohol and the other made with grape alcohol.

The difference was very very little.

The grape smelled a tiny little bit sweeter, but tastewise I could find a dramatic difference.

However the price difference is dramatic!

I'd like to offer a product worth the price, so here I'm asking myself if the grape base would justify a price difference of about 4 Euro per 0.5l

Any suggestions are highly welcome!

To be honest, I don't think it always makes that much of a difference.

In some cases the wine-alcohol can even be distracting from other tastes.

I trust your judgement on this.

Oh and... Good to meet you again!

Pontica tastes like marigolds with a slight dusting of artichoke, especially if it's colored too hot... or so I've heard.

In this case, it's done perfectly, and the pontica flavour is very fragrant (it's much better than marigold, at least if you mean Calendula). It's just too intrusive to my taste - the quality is excellent, it's the quantity that's at issue.

However the price difference is dramatic!

I'd like to offer a product worth the price, so here I'm asking myself if the grape base would justify a price difference of about 4 Euro per 0.5l

Any suggestions are highly welcome!

A well constructed absinthe at a reasonable price. Every US buyer's dream.

If in the end the distinction between the two bases is marginal at best, then I vote 'yes' for going with the regular base.

Sound marketing stratedgy if you ask me.

As fast as #27 went, I think snail mail would take longer than the product will be available.

I'd like to reserve a bottle or two of the next batch so I can start aging it right away. ;)

A bag of miniatures would be fun. Not marshmallows.

:wave2:

Though I like the idea of sample comparison, you might adjust the cost/price by mixing the grape spirits with grain spirits to get more for the cost. The grape flavor may be milder but still present and the cost would be a little lower but worth it.

As fast as #27 went, I think snail mail would take longer than the product will be available.

Reference was to sending samples, which would be very generous.

Sending samples via courier would be....wishful thinking

I wiill say that the marc spirit base was extra incentive to lay in the new Duplais Blanche and the Prototype #27, so at least the perception of marketable quality is there. Whether or not that actually translates into a marked difference in complementary taste is yet to be determined, since I haven’t cracked either of those bottles.

Jade has other issues for me, so it’s hard to draw a distinction.

To be honest, I don't think it always makes that much of a difference.

In some cases the wine-alcohol can even be distracting from other tastes.

I trust your judgement on this.

Oh and... Good to meet you again!

absolutly - I really enjoyed the few hours in Boveresse!