It would appear that reaching down an evolutionary rung or two for a mate has been tried before.  There's genetic proof:

Human and chimp ancestors interbred?

That would explain why we have 98 - 99% of the same DNA as chimps, but a little less than gorillas.

I hope they try to reproduce the Grizzly/Polar bear hybrid in a zoo. A good study for the DNA of all three.

When I was a young kid at the zoos, I swore up and down that Giant Pandas were bears and Lesser Pandas were raccoons (a subfamily). The keepers said, no, no, no. They changed the classifications just to shut me the hell up. :P

I think it's the same thing with dog breeds, but it's now the zoo directors telling me, no, no, no. I'd love to do DNA lab work as well as working with the animals, but my first love is the hands-on.

Thanks so much for sharing that article! Fascinating.

Did you see Auguru's article above? Very interesting.

Thanks for that article. I somehow wonder whether they really did a recent hybrid experiment and then killed the hybrid, unless the offspring was something horrid.

Being Wiki, it's hard to tell.

:cheers:

Welcome, don't tell Pensieve about the snakes or I will have to check the bathroom again in the middle of the night before she will go pee.  I keep telling her we live in a third story apartment but it does not help.

I'd like to point out that you telling me that the snake I ran over on my bike had my address on a little piece of paper in its mouth as it slithered away doesn't help.

I'm a little late, but welcome anyway Jane

Hey, Jetzster!  Is that Leon Redbone?  My ex-fi's and my song was "Sheik of Arabi".

Thats correct, Jane and He lives on! Cool!Hopefully the'll be many more songs to come from Leon! B)

But hey, I'm not passing up a good mud wrestle!

Ill second that motion! :yahoo: