Welcome Jane!  You may want to introduce yourself.

Hi, Stroller!

I live in the LA Metro area. Not for pity, I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia. I have too much time on my hands, so I like to visit different forums and learn about new things. That's how I decided to find out about absinthe and trying it.

Before I became ill, I used to be an accountant for IBM...that's as boring as things get!

In my "previous" life, I worked with wildlife for rehabilitation, release and propagation. I've worked with almost every wild animal found in the US. I started this when I was 13. I've worked with lions and bears, oh my! African lions, bobcats, cougars, raised coyotes and I have wrestled/played with wolves where I have been on the ground, in a submissive position. Yep...I have it all over Kevin Costner! :P I was the curator of the live animal department of a museum for several years.

I have been a professional snake handler, working with over 35 species from around the world. I also had a brief stint in a circus as a snake handler!

One of my other specialties is handling Raptors from around the world...eagles, hawks, owls, vultures and Andean condors. Attached is a photo of an African Long-crested Eagle I used to handle. I really miss my birds! :(

I've done volunteer work all my life. Lots of tutoring, crisis hotline work, docent at the St. Louis Zoo, and other sorts along those lines.

I hope to go into a remission so that I can start volunteering at the LA Zoo.

You're thinking, "Why did I ask her to introduce herself?" Too much information?

:wave2:

My picture is in my profile.

post-655-1148856635.jpg

Great introduction Jane, and a big welcome. :cheers: Your experiences with animals sounds fascinating. And just might come in handy handling some of the beasts around here - although we're mostly tame, with a few exceptions. But whence the interest in absinthe?

(I assume the Big Boss will move this to newcomer introductions, where it appropriately belongs.)

Welcome, don't tell Pensieve about the snakes or I will have to check the bathroom again in the middle of the night before she will go pee. I keep telling her we live in a third story apartment but it does not help.

Great introduction Jane, and a big welcome.  :cheers:  Your experiences with animals sounds fascinating. And just might come in handy handling some of the beasts around here - although we're mostly tame, with a few exceptions. But whence the interest in absinthe?

(I assume the Big Boss will move this to newcomer introductions, where it appropriately belongs.)

Thanks, Pan! I figured that Hiram would move this post, but I didn't know where to post it and didn't want to start a thread, as I am so new here!

I love beasts! I can wrestle with the best of them! :D

As far as getting into absinthe...I'm a big Belle Epoque fan and am still working on my Jane Avril needlepoint that I took from a poster. I have a huge book of "La Belle Epoque" posters, and Toulouse-Lautrec is my all-time favorite artist. So, of course, I knew about the absinthe for years.

A good friend is a missionary in Europe, and moves all around to different countries about every couple of years. She's now in Prague. She lives in Illinois, and I'm in LA. When she came back for her sabbatical, she brought me back a bottle of Bairnsfather. I know, but it was such a wonderful gesture. She doesn't drink much, but I asked her to look into absinthes and let me know.

Now that I know better, from my research, I just ordered some Doubs. Okay...don't laugh. I wanted to try some actual absinthe. I was lurking here and at Fee Verte for weeks. I bought a spoon from Hiram and asked him if he would let me in as a favor.

:cheers:

Thanks, TrainerAZ! :D I have lots of bizarre anecdotal stories, but they are so varied and off-the-wall!

Thank you, Brooks! :cheers:

Hiram, don't you go NEAR my baby! His name is Chrys. All of the birds are tethered with jesses (a leather strap around one foot). Chrys used to be on top of a larger cage. He got pissed at me one day. I came around the corner too close to him and his talons just missed my head. He got my hair. I was within one inch of being scalped. I have great respect for him! :PLAYNICE:

Thanks, Bill! I am certain that everyone on this forum lead interesting lives. Absinthe isn't for the dull-wits.

Hi, Shaihulud! You can call me to rid your apartment of snakes anytime.

Thanks for the welcome, Monkeycurious!

Now that I have found this "Welcome" section, I'm going to read everyone else's newbie threads. Get some good blackmail material!

Love,

Jane

Now that I have found this "Welcome" section, I'm going to read everyone else's newbie threads.
You have to start with ShaiHulud's, and you have to read the whole thing. There will be a quiz.
Hiram, don't you go NEAR my baby! His name is Chrys.
As in chrysaetos?

No worries, I wouldn't want him until he was dead.

Thanks, Myktejae! I love it here! I'm going to have to stay on my toes to match wits!

Hiram, I am actually reading Shaihulud's thread right now in another window. I'll be ready for the pop quiz. A lot of cheesy and self-indulgent posts so far...on page one.

Hi, Stroller. I noticed that you were from Marina Del Rey. I lived in Venice for a year. Now I'm right on the county line of San Bernardino. We need to find more locals for an absinthe orgy. We can get naked and eat watermelon.

:cheers: to all!

Hi, Theatre73...you'll be embarrassed? Kewl.

Stroller, I'm pretty surprised about that, too! I wonder if we Google LA for absinthe groups, or check out MSN and Yahoo groups, we might luck out.

Hiram, don't you go NEAR my baby! His name is Chrys.
As in chrysaetos?

No worries, I wouldn't want him until he was dead.

With that bird's reaction I was thinking chryssy-puss, and yes.

And welcome Jane.

Hey, Jetzster! Is that Leon Redbone? My ex-fi's and my song was "Sheik of Arabi".

Hi, GrayWolf...I am a professional wolf wrestler. I challenge you to a match. :torch: Got any locofocos?

I'm not out to harm your beastie, don't worry.

But hey, I'm not passing up a good mud wrestle!

I wouldn't waste my absinthe in Jello shots. And to think of it with cherry Jello kinda makes me squirm.

Just vodka Jello shots for wrestling.

I used to live in Eureka, Ferndale and Fortuna. So if you're saying you're in NoCal and you're in the Bay Area, I'm gonna have to beat you up! :P