Sign in to follow this  
HerrDoktor

François Guy?

Nah, I love asparagus...especially lightly sautéed with sesame seeds and chili garlic sauce. Sorry, I'm hungry.

If you're eating it with chili garlic sauce then you probably don't even know what it smells like going in, much less when you pee later.

And Hiram, I don't think you're being fair labelling Wild Bill a wormwood whore. He doesn't drink King of Spirits just so's he can spoon out the herb in the bottom of the bottle. (Unless he's seasoning it with his only anise. :devil: )

I drink the King for the taste. They don't call it King of Spirits for nothing.

And I dubbed my own self Wormwood Whore. Last time Hiram gave me a title it was "The Insensitive Turd."

Then I guess Hill's and other anise-free Czechsinths are absinthe, after all.

As, by that logic, would be wormwood squeezin's flavored with mango. Hey, it's got wormwood, it's absinthe.

(Edit: Damn, you people reply fast . . . That was replying to Turkey and his "F.Guy is still absinthe even if it doesn't use fennel" comments.)

I believe (IMHO) the definitive ingredients/characteristics are wormwood and a significant anise flavor; however in practice, it usually takes some fennel to balance out the anise so it doesn't taste like Good & Plenty.

But I also believe there's room for experimental things like the cinnamon in Montmartre and the bananas in Serpis.

like Good & Plenty's.

Good & Plenty's what?

Mea culpa. Good & Plentys looks weird, Good & Plenties would be incorrect. Most properly, I suppose it would be "Good & Plenty candies."

I like FG.

I don't asparagus pee which sounds weird.

I don't care for Good & Plenty.

I am an absinthe slut, not a whore. I've never taken money to drink absinthe but I might consider it if anyone is offering. ;)

I do and I like. I have no problem with simple: it makes the really good stuff stand out. I'll even purchase FG again, after I exhaust the "must try" list. Well, after I restock the priority bottles that are empying at an alarming rate...

François Guy is for me a usual "rincette" (AKA the last glass of absinthe after one or two strongest ones, to "wash" your glass). 45% of alcohol is enough when your mouth is still filled with aromas from the 68 to 72 % absinthes. Plus, I already see stars and green fairies on the ceiling, so its time to stop :D .

I don't hit myself when I drink it because I like an absinthe without fennel.

But I realised that F. Guy is the only brand I keep drinking since I discovered absinthe 5 years ago. I stopped Pernod 68 rather quicky, as Un Emile, probably because F Guy is the only absinthe 45% with Segarra who worths something...

What other CO's are out there that do not use fennel?

HV, nice new digs.

Wild Bill, you are now the wormwood turd.

I like the glasses and the K53. It's a comfortable drink. It's about time to make another order and K53 is on the list.

My feelings exactly, OMG. We've ran through 2 bottles of K53 this year and enjoyed every drop. Not quite as good as CLB, but very drinkable. :cheers:

I like them both, as simple as they are. K53 and FG are very similar in profile, but the Kübler is a better drink IMO. It'll be good for you to have them both on hand to compare to each other, and I do recommend a side-by-side tasting. The FG contains no fennel and the K53 is also light on fennel.

I've never had the FG so I don't know whether I Like it or not. I'm a big fan of the VdF.

On the other note, I always heard that asparagus pee lets you know that your kidneys are working.

just two cents worth of opinion.

I'm trying the FG on Wild Bill's suggestion. I'm trying to get a nice absinthe with fewer herbs, so that I can figure out what I may be allergic to. I still think it was the green dye in Doubs.

And K53, everyone seems to like it very much, so I can't go wrong there! :cheers:

I'm considering FG and Kübler 53 for July.  Along with a set of absinthe glasses from Hiram. 

How do you rate the latter?   :censor2:  <-- emoticon removed to protect the innocent

I'd rate Hiram pretty highly, easily an 8 out of 10. He's a good guy.