Sign in to follow this  
HerrDoktor

François Guy?

I enjoy it. For a daily drink it works well for me.

The taste isn't foul and the price is ok.

If you want specifics, I'm out.

It makes a good practice Absinthe, it takes abuse in stride.

I will order more.

:cheers:

There aren't many fence-straddlers on this one. You like FG, or you don't. I've never cared for it.

I suppose it's worth trying because it's "reasonably" priced. If you like it, you've got something to tide you over between premium bottles.

Probably. It's pretty hard to not notice when it smells like you're peeing asparagus broth. You should try it just to make sure. Unless you think asparagus tastes like ass, and then we have a whole new problem.

I agree that with the poster who called FG "practice absinthe." It is not even really absinthe, not in the traditional sense anyway. Traditionally absinthe should have at a minimum in the pre-distillation macerate, wormwood, green anise, and Florence fennel. FG has NO Florence fennel, or even any crappy Indian fennel.

The bigger question would be to get your genetic family to taste FG and see how many agree with your tastes. If the majority of a family tastes or doesn't taste the socks then it may be genetic.

Come on Dr. Verte, you know that fennel is a dangerous substance that makes people go mad and die. :D

Ignoring the fennel the possibility that FG uses a type of hybrid or sister plant to A.A. is also a good reason to question it's absinthe classification.

Nah. They use the same wormwood everyone else does over there. I believe several here have seen it.

While I like Guy as a drink, I also second, perhaps less strongly, Dr. Verte's suggestion that the absence of fennel makes it less traditional. Although it can be argued that not all pre-ban absinthes used fennel, to the best of my knowledge all the better ones did.

I'm not a fan, I didn't hate it though. In the end, it got drank like all the others. I wouldn't buy it again. There are too many others I haven't tried.

As I have opined before, I like FG for an everyday absinthe. Nothing pretentious, just a basic absinthe. I also like VDF, whereas some people absolutely despise it. To me, it has a heavy wormwood taste to it. After sampling from "Peter's Magic Suitcase", I realized that was the flavor I really liked. FG has less of it than VDF but it is still dominant.

IMHO, for what it's worth.

I want to see Peter's suitcase, too!

I really do need to sit down and look at the individual ingredients, someday. Maybe if a TX/OK event pans out.

I also like the VdF, but again, there are so many things to try.

Probably.  It's pretty hard to not notice when it smells like you're peeing asparagus broth.  You should try it just to make sure.  Unless you think asparagus tastes like ass, and then we have a whole new problem.

Nah, I love asparagus...especially lightly sautéed with sesame seeds and chili garlic sauce. Sorry, I'm hungry.

Anyways, keep me in the Non-Asparagus Pee Smelling, François Guy-Liking Absinthe Camp. The NAPSFGLAC for short.

Umm....

Traditionally absinthe should have at a minimum in the pre-distillation macerate, wormwood, green anise, and Florence fennel. FG has NO Florence fennel, or even any crappy Indian fennel.

...you beat me to it. I need to come in here more often.

François Guy is exactly what it says it is. It's a drink of spirits made from absinthe plants. It has has some variety of artemisia absinthium in it? There you go. It's a drink of spirits made from absinthe plants.

If you tell me it isn't absinthe, that it's only twice as good as arak, but still one third short of being "real" absinthe, I'm fine with that. Does that mean I have to leave the Wormwood Society and go find a forum for drinkers of "Wormwood and Anise but No Fennel" drinks? I don't think so, because this isn't the "Real Absinthe Society", and FG still has wormwood. So y'all are stuck with me. Even if I only get to keep my registration on a technicality.