Derrick

Extraction Method

I have a few vintage bottles of Edourd Pernod pastis that are developing cork issues and I'm starting to very slowly lose their contents to evaporation. What is the best method to 'extract' their contents without breaking their seals? I could cut their seals with a razor blade and insert new corks as a last resort, but I want to preserve the bottles in their original state (and not lose the booze). Thanks for any help.

Thanks for the suggestions. The syringe method sounds promising. I'll PM Oxy for 'extraction instructions' and let you know how it goes.

. . . and no way to even prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the liquor is what you say it is.

Granted, I have no idea if vintage EP pastis HAS any great economic value!

Whenever you extract from any bottle using a needle, you will cause a bit of a vacuum.

I don't know whether adding an equal amount of "new/fresh" air is a good idea or not, but you really don't want the vacuum to pull the cork in.

The best extraction method I know involves a corkscrew, some pontarlier glasses, ice water and not having to work the following morning.

:drunk:

Of course, you do reduce the pressure of the gas inside, and some (but little) substances in solution might actually outgas as a result.

But you do notice what the pressure difference is when you try to extract.

There is always the option to use a syringe to inject nitrogen, of course (if you're really paranoid about normal air).