Sign in to follow this  
greytail

Did Ted change something?

I mean, the absinthe that they're talking about adding would be the absinthe from the old batches BEFORE they went through the maceration coloring process, wouldn't it?  Or do they actually take the finished product of the older batches and add it to the finished new batch?

No. The absinthe is coloured, then added to the previous surplus, which is also coloured. I'm not sure if it is diluted though until its actually bottled. There are definitely gaps in my knowledge of how absinthe is aged on a larger scale.

Is Peridot the color of the VS and Nov bottling of JE?  I was thinking it was emerald, but then again I have been wrong before.

Both colors are named for gems which range in hue, but peridot is generally used to describe a slightly lighter, yellower green whereas emerald describes a bluer green. You can Google them for images.

Pernod Fils was described as being yellower still, as olive green.

"Sort of like knowing when you buy a coke, you know it will be the same color unless otherwise stated."

This is a hand-crafted artisanal product made in very small batches, not mass-produced. Although this does seem to be a bit more of a change than I would have expected, it's bound to change somewhat from batch to batch.

You may also want to google Olivine, of which peridot is a subset.

I think VDF qualifies as Olivine.

How did this become about GB's little sailors??

So the consensus is that the VS no longer has Sea Monkeys, but may have sulfur?

I never did order the Ike anyway, service people can't seem to find my house.

To be fair,

I didn't notice sulfur, just something harsh and unpleasant that I couldn't stand drinking.

Also, this was after 6-8 artisanal absinthes (who keeps count).

Yes Trainer, my sailors are fine.

sorry to interupt. I just louched up another and after 4 glasses since I got it, the louche has got to be one of the ugliest I ever witnessed due to this pale/thin color. I think I will skip the drip method for the remainder of the bottle and just have at it a bit quicker.

So the appearance does effect more than just the initial presentation in the glass. It effects the ritual of preparation.

BTW, on the subject of ritual. Does the slow drip allow for the more volitile oils to escape during preparation? Or is that something I misread somewhere. I tend to get a thicker appearance from a slow drip as opposed to a fast pour/thin appearance. Might be the water ratio though.

It louches "thin"... as in, a glass of this Edouard is more translucent than the Edouard you've had in the past? Or are you saying simply the same thing you said earlier; that the color sucks?

I think Slackjaw already mentioned this, but good luck trying to find ice or a fountain (aside from Cantada's water-bong-fountain) in Paris... refrigerated water bottles is about all there is.

no, I am over the color, but the way it louches is just very different from all the absinthe I have had prior, including Brut and la bleau. I would have to do a time capture video to acurately describe to you what I mean. I thought I was just dripping the water too fast but after a few different occasions I think it is more than my methodology.

Or it could be I am just kicking this dead horse too much. :blink:

Maybe you need to send Wild Bill Turkey, Stomp Brockmore and Ari a sample for a second (third and fourth) opinion.

;)

well, I could, but I just love the taste. I can live with the minor setbacks of color/louche action. Once it is louched though it looks good enough to drink :)

I guess I am just too much of a nit-pick freak. Thanks for putting up with me though guys. I will try to moan less in the future for ya.

If someone seriously would like a sample to trade for something though, pm me.

I think Slackjaw already mentioned this, but good luck trying to find ice or a fountain (aside from Cantada's water-bong-fountain) in Paris... refrigerated water bottles is about all there is.

Ya got that right. I did manage to find ice at the "American" restarant down the street, which they placed in a grocery bag for me. Big round ice with the hole-in-the-middle though.

You shoulda seen me trying to prepare the ice for my Terragona sample. I smashed the ice in an ashtray using the bottom of a hotel room water glass.

Don't ask me what I had to wipe out of the ashtray...

BTW, on the subject of ritual.  Does the slow drip allow for the more volitile oils to escape during preparation?  Or is that something I misread somewhere.  I tend to get a thicker appearance from a slow drip as opposed to a fast pour/thin appearance.  Might be the water ratio though.

drip vs pour effects the louche and the taste. Drip it, you don't have to watch.

here is what the previous Edouard looked like louched for a comparison

VS ED

post-43-1148139582_thumb.jpg

post-43-1148139603_thumb.jpg

With that I rest my case and am over the shock of the difference in color.  I had a glass before bed last evening and once I got past the color I fully enjoyed my drink.

Personally, I woulddn't give a rat's tail if it was bright purple with gold leaf sparkles, as long as it tastes like it's supposed to and doesn't eat holes in the countertop.

Colour can be, and often is, an indication of quality; but aside from that, I've never cared what colour my drinks are. I buy the stuff to drink it, not look at it.

Taste may be the most important feature, it it true, but if you are not enjoying the visual asthetic of a beautiful Absinthe, I submit you are missing something.

Color, though a minor consideration to me, does express a bit of the quality of the absinthe, and the fact that it fades, or yellows (feuille morte) tells me that it is made properly.

Though when I try the VdF it has that natural feuille morte,

I still can't drink it,

though it does taste better than those oilmix, nuclear green absinthes,

Just a point on the importance of color...

^^Meaning one can't express thier honest opinions here? :(

Yes, presentation for me is half the reason I drink absinthe. The color really hasn't yellowed so much as thinned substantially. When poured into the glass straight, it resembles wintergreen scope. It really is hard to get a good picture of it. Had not the previous bottlings of the Jade been the verte they had been, I would have no complaints.

Yes, presentation for me is half the reason I drink absinthe.  The color really hasn't yellowed so much as thinned substantially.

Now that's another issue - it usually means the colouration step is different, and that influences the taste (not that it always tastes worse this way, of course, otherwise all blanches would be awful).

I think Ted is indeed tinkering a bit with the colouration steps of VS, NO and Eddy lately, in an effort to improve the taste (and despite his claims to Have Nailed It from Day One though Scientific Endeavour). That's certainly my impression from the newest bottles of VS and NO I've opened.

Still strange, though - Ted managed to make the pontica a bit less obtrusive in the most recent NO without affecting the colour too much.