Sign in to follow this  
greytail

Did Ted change something?

I just got my new bottle of Jade Edouard from the flying monkeys. It has Fev 2006 stamped on the back (yes Fev). Immediately after un-corking, I noticed something that was vastly different than all the other bottles of the Edouard I have had in the past, about 3. The cork was yellowish and not at all greenish. Sort of like Pernod or Ricard or even Absente color.

Then I pour into my glass and what is this? It is not the Emerald green I have come to know from the Edouard, it is not even the Olive/forrest green I came to know with the Verte Suisse. It is a yellowish color with a slight hint of green. I smell it and it indeed smells different. THe last glass of the Edouard I had from my previous bottle was a week and a half ago. This is definitely different in both presentation and in aroma. I louched it and the color is not the creamy jade green color, but more of the color you would get from the VdF. It has a greenish tint, but not at all like the previous 3 bottles of the Edouard I have had.

So, I ask those who might have recently received a similarly dated bottle of the Edouard from LDFs new stocking. Do my assessments line up with your assessments of the Jade Edouard? If this is your first bottle then I doubt whether or not you will be able to accurately contribute to this comparison.

I just tried taking some photos of it, but the lighting is not right and I don't have the necessary time right now to deliver a uncompromised pic. The shade is definitely lighter on the end of yellow rather than green. The louche was very translucent as well. Sure, all this is tidily winks so long as it tastes as good as the other Edouard bottlings and I can certainly understand that each distillation may tend to differ slightly, but I had three bottlings in the past which two had different dates stamped on the back and there is certainly a substantial difference in quality.

I wonder if all the rush in getting the Edouard back in stock compromised the quality slightly?

As for the Taste, it still tastes good and though there are always small differences (this is a newly opened bottle, opposed to the last bottle I had which had aged for at least 2 and a half months before I finished it) which I can understand.

I've got a bottle of the Eduoard that's probably from the same time-period as yours (I'll take a look at the label tonight, but I ordered it about a month ago, as soon as LdF restocked), but I won't be opening it until July. I'll endeavor to remember to make a post about it then, as it might be interesting to see how my impressions compare to yours after it's been sitting for a bit - in flavor, at least, if not color and louche.

- Johanna

After a second glass, it does taste the same as past bottles give or take a few nuances here and there, but I am stumped as to the presentation part. Perhaps the teabag was taken out too quickly?

Sorry for the previous long worded post. :cheers:

I might be wrong about this, but I was under the impression Jade was setting up a small Solera type system where each subsequent distillation was added to surplus from previous batches, and thus each new bottling consists more and more of properly aged absinthe. The first bottles of Edouard were bright green because they were VERY young. These later ones probably have more aged Edouard in them so the colour naturally tilts more toward a "Feuille Mort" hue the older it is. Whatever the absinthe is being aged/blended in, it must do SOMETHING to the absinthe, since older bottled Edouard seems to have the same bright green tint it had when it was new (mine from June 2005 has the exact same colour it did new).

I haven't had any of the latest bottlings, so I can't comment, but I would guess the date on the bottle is when it was decanted into bottles, not when it was distilled, since from what I understand about the Solera system, a specific distillation date doesn't really tell one much about the age of the product they're drinking.

I understand about the Solera system, but would that make the color a bit darker? More like the VS? This color was light and very transparent. Even the emerald hue of earlier Edouard bottlings I have had were more "thick" than "thin".

My post New Yorker blitz bottle of Edouard is labeled Nov 2005 and is definitely the old style. I hope the colour has not changed. I think it is the best colour of a CO.

Ed on right

post-43-1147968161_thumb.jpg

I sampled recent batches of both AE & VS a couple of weeks ago. The Edouard was green but had a noticeably lighter tint. I belive that Ted has made an adjustment to the coloring step. In both products it also appears that he is using better quality herbs than previous runs.

My new bottle of Edouard arrived recently, so I'll have to see what there is to see when I sample from it.

Presently I still have the remainder of my previous bottle which I intend to polish off this weekend. I certainly hope that not a whole lot is different (though from your post it doesn't sound like anything at all drastic), as the Edouard remains my favorite.

My post New Yorker blitz bottle of Edouard is labeled Nov 2005 and is definitely the old style.  I hope the colour has not changed.  I think it is the best colour of a CO.

Ed on right

post-43-1147968161_thumb.jpg

The color is most certainly different from that pic. It is vastly lighter and less emerald than past bottlings. I agree about the color being a finer point with the Ed. Oh well, it still does taste good. Just not as presentable, and presentation means alot. I still can not obtain a picture worthy enough to put up on this site to show the color of the Edouard I have. I will try again tonight.

Eric, as to using better quality herbs, could you elaborate more on why you think so?

All in all, it is not a huge detractor, but when I expect something and I pay that amount of money, I expect to find that product the same as the last time. If there were differences in the recipe that might alter the color/aroma/taste, than I would expect that the producer would inform the customer of such a change. So that when I pour that first glass I say" oh right, the coloration step was changed slightly so this is what resulted from that change."

BTW, if this was indeed a change, why go back rather than forward? The color of the Edouard in my opinion needed no tweaking.

If Ted is using different or better colouring herbs, that could affect the tint, though I would assume better herbs would make the green more vibrant, not less so. It's also possible that perhaps one of his colouring herb sources this time around was so much better, that it forced him to use LESS of the herb to get a similar aroma/flavour profile, and the result was that the colour wasn't as intense. Remember the chief function of the colouring step is to enhance the flavour and aroma, the green being a desirable byproduct.

It's entirely possible that if vintage producers were producing on the same small scale Ted is, that similar variations between bottlings might be more noticeable.

well, I am just bummed at having just spent 136 USD for a product that looks (by the color of it) like it was watered down. It definitely does not taste watered down, but man is it unimpressive to look at.

Here are pics of the recently opened bottle of JE and pictures of past JE. Due to lighting, the pictures are not exact infallable representation of the true color.

Feb. bottling

P1100143.jpg

nov. bottling

P1090216.jpg

It's becoming obvious why there are so many good blanches compared to vertes, it seems like a lot of effort to make an all around consistently good verte compared to a blanche.

You should shoot a quick e-mail to PV and see if they have noticed similar color issues with that batch.

On a side it's most likely labeled "fev" because in french February is fevrier (one of the few things I still remember from french class).

I did just email LDF to inquire about any info they might be privy to. As you can see from the above images, I could not quite capture what I am describing, but I believe you can tell some difference.

Eric, as to using better quality herbs, could you elaborate more on why you think so?

The samples were tasted at Peters. We compared the new samples with older versions. I thought that the new ones had a more pronounced floral bouquet and flavor. I am guessing that Ted had sourced better quality herbs. Of course this is only speculation on my part.

It still has a surgary taste to it. I am not much of an judge though. I really can't get a good location for a picture which says alot. With the earlier Nov. bottling, it was vibrant enough to get a good shot in a semi-dim room. With the Feb. bottling, it is so clear that I can't seem to capture it.

Anyone interested in trading me a bottle of VS or something for my 745ml bottle of Edouard?

I could understand your gripe if it tasted noticeably worse than the last batch, but ditching a whole bottle just because it wasn't as pretty as the last one?

I am an ambience whore, besides, I had tossed up the notion of either getting the VS or the ED, and decided on the ED solely for the color, and now that that has changed, I will drink it, but if someone out there prefers Ed. to VS and has a bottle than etc.etc......

The VS is murky and hazy. If ambience is your thing, you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. I think the NO had great colour, but I haven't had that in awhile.

I've had the VS and like it. I would much prefer murky/hazy dark green as opposed to what I have with the Edouard right now. I haven't tried the NO. I will most likely be keeping the ED. Just wanted to see if there were any takers who were hard set on the Eds taste and cared nothing as to its appearance.

I'm also a big fan of Edouard's (and VS's) hue, but even a bigger fan of the scent. After louche, I just sit back and let the scent waft over to me at my seat.

Delicious!

Is Peridot the color of the VS and Nov bottling of JE? I was thinking it was emerald, but then again I have been wrong before. :cheers:

Oh well, I will get over this change of color and enjoy it never the less. Just hope it might have been something with this bottling and not the norm.

The first bottles of Edouard were bright green because they were VERY young.

Bingo. FWIW, I think the recent Edouard's better than my recently opened distiller's proof. The colour may be less purdy, but I think Ted's improved his skills in colouring absinthes - esp. in the Verte de Suisse, but also in the NO and Eddy.

The VS is murky and hazy.

I think that applied to the rather aggressive distiller's proof, but my "Nov 2005" bottle fits the description much less. The balance is very different (perhaps to the chagrin of lovers of in-you-face anise, though), and there are some fragrant hyssoppy notes (though it could be something else masquerading as hyssop, I wouldn't know some of the herbs if they hit me in the face) covering the little Jade nutty funk that's left.

I just tasted a bit of the Edouard neat. WOW. the last bottling I had was nowhere near as smooth, so yes I think that the fact that it is older tends to make it taste better, but I would have thought that an older absinthe would only get a bit darker in color. Not more "vibrant" but at least a little more like the color of the VS. If pre-ban in poor lighting turned a dead leaf fuerlle mort, than am I missing something? I am not doing a great job of describing what i am thinking, but then again that is why am not a writer.

The new color is just so pale with a hint of green.

I think the NO had great colour, but I haven't had that in awhile.

Not really, unless you prefer your absinthe with a bluish tint.

The NO's color was deeper than the that of the second edition of Montmartre, but the blue hue was similar.