Sign in to follow this  
greytail

So, is Absinthe now what you once knew it to be?

ok, when I first discovered that I could purchase authentic post-ban absinthe I was thrilled, even though I then lived in a country where importation was a no no.

Now that I live in a country (usa of course) where it can easily be shipped to my doorstep, I find that I do enjoy it, but the mystic has definitely left the building. I guess that is a good thing for me and my bank account, considering that I now only drink it off and on, sort of how I frequent these forums. I find my interest spikes and I order a bottle if I am out, then I taper off as the bottle does and usually I enjoy my beer or single malt for awhile, then when the urge hits I am back at LDF's order form page.

So, how often to you tipple the green fairy or do you save it for that special moment when the moon shimmers and the fairies take flight?

"Mystique" tends to fade with things you become familiar with, like any relationship, but I've found my fascination with absinthe has remained constant since I first got interested in it last November. Granted I'm still fairly new to it, but I've managed to accumulate around 10 bottles, a few spoons, a few glasses, and I have a fountain on the way. I'm still as interested as ever, if not even more so. I love it. I don't drink it everyday, but I do drink absinthe every week, and every time it is special.

Although I LOVE absinthe it is usually out of my price range. My drink of choice (gasp!) is Ezra Brooks bourbon. I have 17 different bottles of absinthe in my liqueur cabinet and only sample them on occasion. It is far too expensive for me to drink them on a regular basis.

My last bottle of Ed. lasted me 2.5 months. I am planning to stretch the bottle I just ordered at least 3.

The Ed is good but expensive and I find that I enjoy the novelty of having it on hand and sampling it every now and then.

when I first discovered that I could purchase authentic post-ban absinthe I was thrilled, ...

Now that I live in a country (usa of course) where it can easily be shipped to my doorstep, I find that I do enjoy it, but the mystic has definitely left the building.

"First, there is a mountain; then there is no mountain; then there is." - Quingyuan, by way of Donovan

So, how often to you tipple the green fairy or do you save it for that special moment when the moon shimmers and the fairies take flight?
I'm as likely to drink Scotch, Bourbon or gin as I am absinthe, even though I have a house full of the stuff. My passion for the history, romance, science and sociology of absinthe continues to grow.

Hey grey!

I haven't seen you for a while!

I hope I get a *little* amnesty, as I have been hitting the bottle a 'lil hard this evening. I understand, as far as I could understand the post, your quandary. I was able to afford a substantial purchase around February(substantial for me, anywho, was 6 bottles)and it was all gone within 6 weeks. I was drinking on average 3 glasses a night, so one can see how quickly and rather effortlessly my stash ran dry.

Now, absinthe comes at a premium. The solution, I'm afraid, is extra income, which savagely must lead to extra work.

Absinthe, for me, must be bought by the semester, since I fund my living by grants, scholarships and student loans. Since I am at the end of one semester and towards the beginning of another, I am in limbo.

I have fleshed out my wish list with Peter, and am solely awaiting funds with which to fulfill.

If I had said funds on an available basis, I highly doubt absinthe as a whole to be an area in which any mystique would be lost.

etc,etc,

sand

We need an absinthe gift registry.

Instead of dishes or books or other crap you won't use, you could set up a list of absinthes for people to contribute toward!

If it ain't Absinthe,

it ain't.

So speaketh Mr. Illuminating.

Exactly.

We need an absinthe gift registry.

So far this year, two weddings and two bottles of absinthe. I'll save the Salad Shooter for people I don't really like.

Though the level of mystique has dropped a bit, I find that my fascination with the Belle Epoche era and the artists and absintheurs thereof grows all the time.

Even Jade isn't an exact replica of pre-ban, but it has it's spirit. To me, drinking absinthe gives me the same kind of feeling that I got when I collected coins as a kid. Work with me on this one. Collecting these old coins, I'd hold each in my hand and wonder who touched it, what was bought with it, or what else it was "witness" to. With absinthe, sampling the stuff that at least approximates pre-ban gives me the feeling of sharing a link with those absintheurs of the era - that in at least one sense I'm sharing something with them.

As to how often I sample my collection, I do save it for special days - usually Saturdays when I can lounge around in the evening with a few glasses and fill up my fountain, just sitting back to relax and enjoy the ride, usually with a good movie or other DVD in the background.

The Edouard and François Guy are my present favs that I have in stock. Soon I'll be opening a bottle of VdF and get reacquainted with that as well.

I find that my interest in and desire for absinthe also comes and goes. I go through phases where I'm really in the mood for absinthe and nothing but. Then that mood passes and I move on to other drinks.

What never grows old for me is introducing other people to absinthe. I love watching someone try it for the first time, seeing them marvel at the louche, hearing them "Wow!" upon their first sip. I love explaining the ritual and the history and all of that. The mystique of absinthe has passed for me, but the joy of helping other people experience that mystique for themselves will never dull.

So far this year, two weddings and two bottles of absinthe.  I'll save the Salad Shooter for people I don't really like.
What? No mead? :shock:

“The first month of marriage is the honeymoon, and the second is the absinthe-moon.” - Voltaire

Absinthe is my drink now. <---period

When I go out to bars, I'll drink something else, but more and more I've been thinking of trying to smuggle a flask of something green into bars with me when I go out with friends. When I go to parties, I often bring a bottle with me so I can drink what I want, and maybe introduce some new friends to the drink.

Learning about absinthe, about how it's made, and what herbs I have to thank for the many subtle flavours in a glass, has become my favorite hobby.

My personal art, what I do to satiate my creative needs apart from the work that pays the bills, is all about absinthe, and has been for a while now. Paintings, labels, drawings, plans for future projects, all about absinthe. Today is my first day off after 13 continuous days on the job. I'm spending it doing the color-seperations for a silk-screened absinthe t-shirt I've been wanting to print.

I met my girlfriend when I asked her to model for an absinthe painting I'm working on. I thought she had "the look" I wanted. But we started drinking the stuff while we were working, and she became the first person I had introduced to the drink who loved it, and from that moment, I started falling for her. I took her to that absinthe party last week, and I felt all warm and tingly watching her excitedly telling newbies there about the history and romance of the drink.

I guess I would have to say "the mystic hasn't left the building", and absinthe's mystique still has me in its grip.

Amen.

I love introducing absinthe to friends of mine, and if I get a sort of lukewarm "Yeah, it's good", I feel somewhat let down. Ridiculous, I know. But if I can introduce somebody to it, and they love it, it's a wonderful thing.

Yeah, introducing others to absinthe is great. Those who enjoy it, it's a nice warm-fuzzy.

I've tried on a few occasions to introduce someone to it subtly only to be met with a, "a friend of mine had a bad experience with absinthe..." type of line. Everytime I hear something like that I get a feeling like someone just ran their fingernails across a chalkboard. I feel myself cringing inside. And generally, these people who have "had a friend" who's had an experience are 100% convinced (in my experience) that it is indeed a drug and can't be steered away from it. It just sucks. This is part of my life and something that I take seriously and it does still have some mystique for me and I feel like I've been slapped to hear responses like that. (If I'm getting off-topic, my apologies) You might as well tell a classic car aficionado that the cars he likes are old and useless and he should look at the modern variety, as a good example.

But on those occasions where someone discovers it and loves it, that's a cool experience.

My few successful absinthe converts have been people who have embraced the drink with their entire imagination — in "3-D", as it were. Personally, I've never been able (or wanted) to separate the drink from its history, the beauty of the ritual, or the nostalgia it evokes for a time before my time. (Actually, "nostalgia" is too superficial, too cheesy-Hallmark-Greetings, to convey what I feel.)

For a year I've been bugging a friend of mine to try it, and last week she relented, saying, "Okay. Maybe in June sometime." She's obviously not interested, and now I'm thinking, why bother?

I'm very close to abandoning all recruiting efforts. Or maybe I'll focus my efforts on people who already know a little about the drink. I do find that the people most likely to "get" absinthe are those familiar with it before they try it. They come to the experience "primed" by something they've read, or noticed in a painting, or seen in a film.

I have tried turning people on to absinthe and some have liked it but they haven't shared my enfatuation with it. The complexity and range of flavor and the historic connection add a great deal to the pleasure of drinking it. I've also met some fine people in the absinthe community. I think absinthe drinking is an eclectic obsession and will probably remain that way.

Being still somewhat new to absinthe my "mystic" is still strong for the green fairy. I have not been fortunate enough to try any HG or pre-ban but I have tried 10 CO's. My person fave is actually the prototype 27 from Marcus, wish I would have purchased two bottles! I also enjoy the CLB and Segarra 45 very much. I try to purchase a new bottle once a month the last being UE 45 the next I think will be Doubs. :cheers:

The mystique and myths surrounding absinthe was what caught my interest, but as I've learned more, it is more about an intriguing history and a damn tasty drink than something as elusive as "mystique".

It does, however, also appeal to me that it is something a bit unusual, something that few know much about. The same could, by the way, be said abot mead, another favourite drink of mine.

I tipple glass or three once a week nowadays, I would say. Far less then the 1-2 a day I did 3-4 years ago. I find my interest in the art and artists surrounding the hey-day era of Belle Epoche grows with every month, and my appreciate for the few glasses I DO drink grows each time (as my palate contines to this day to become more 'educated' as I call it).

As far as 'seeing/dancing with the Green Fairy' only once in a while do i 'feel the fairies', and usually only with my old secondfairy standby, La Fee.

It'll never lose a place in my heart though, and I still put in a regular order or two with various distributors.

That "special moment" is usually once or twice a week, or whenever my taste flashbacks have subsided. Beyond the history, the romance, the fascination with all things Belle Epoche, it just tastes good! Lastly, nothing else I can drink makes me feel the way I feel after imbibing 2 to 3 glasses of really good absinthe.

:drunk: