Note sure if it's the same everywhere, but in Australia, you can bring 2.25L of alcohol with you without having to declare it (if bought using duty-free concession). Airline Companies have rules about how much alcohol you can bring on a plane too.

But if you're taking into the states, it's still contraband, so I think that means the maximum you can bring in is however much you can sneak past customs without them noticing.

For the most part, customs folks don't know absinthe from absente.

Just call it liquor and chances are they won't notice a bottle or two. Worst case, they take them away as you say, "Illegal? But no, they serve it in the bars, and they mentioned Pernod and Herbsaint absinthes in this month's Esquire! How can it be illegal?" <sniffle weep wave bye bye to bottles>

Just don't try to get all sneaky, or switch out the labels with wine bottle labels, or some such nonsense. THAT could get you arrested.

:o Is there a limit to how much you can take with you that you are aware of?

When you enter Sweden from a country outside the EU, you are allowed to import one (1) liter of spirits (>22 % ABV) without paying customs and excise duties. Not quite sure about how much you can bring to the US but I think the same limits apply.

I managed to bring three bottles with me, since I didn't consider getting caught in customs at home a real problem. (After we joined the EU there are rarely any customs folks at all to be seen at the airports...)

Had Switzerland been a member of the EU it would have been different; you may import 10 liters of spirits to countries within the EU. (It is actually a guidance level - any more than this and you'll have to provide proof that it's for personal use only.)

Forgive me but I am quite new to this. This blasted technology as well. I am feeling my way along.

Now my question: In doing this analysis you might also want to add weight based on % alcohol. My assumption is that if the alcohol content is higher, you can yield more drinks per bottle thereby maximizing your "bang for the buck:. Or am I all wet?

Ari: What is your opinion of Lemercier Absinthe Amer 72? it seems to be very favarable terms of value but you did not cite it. Would you recommend it's flavor? My tentative first order would include this and the Mont and the Kub53. Am I on a good track?

Yep the review section has reviews for a number of popular products. I found it ok, not as good as others but not bad either.

It's not on the list as originally I just did products available at Liqueurs De france, but I could find it at another site and run the quick math.

I keep thinking I did the numbers wrong because they came out so low, but it also seems the Lem Amer 72 is priced cheaper than others so they might be right.

From Absinthe-distribution, (shipping $23)

Name--------Size(cl)---Alc %----Price $--------$ per 1 oz------$ per S.D.

Lem amer 72----70-------72------73.7------------3.10--------------2.60

For what it's worth, I just returned from Europe with 3 bottles of absinthe (70cl each) [yeah, I know only one is actually worth drinking]. No problems at customs whatsoever. I just indicated on the customs form 3 bottles of liquor and there was no question. No inspection. There were all kinds of folks around me that had multiple bottles of Scotch, Whisky/Whiskey, wine... Seemed like no big deal.

I have a bottle of the Lemercier Absinthe Amer 72. Not at the top of my list, but quite drinkable.

From eabsinthe, (shipping $17.10)

Name--------Size(cl)---Alc %----Price $--------$ per 1 oz------$ per S.D.

La fee 68------70-------68-------79.4--------------3.40------------3.00

I may add more mid range absinthe and see if I can merge it with the top thread.

And if you think it's expensive to buy absinthe on the internet, think about trying to buy absinthe in India where spirit duties can be as high as 550%. Probably not a big market for Jade absinthes ...

Looks like Brian Eno?

What have you been drinking? If you think it makes me look like this, I need some of that absinthe and quick!

post-317-1163164581.jpg

Edited by Alan

What have you been drinking?

post-317-1163164581.jpg

Sorry, No, not you. I was referring to Kronkaphone's picture. I should have clarified that.

Edited by MASTERPC

I won't make that mistake again! I will always reference to whom I am referring. Newbie no no, now I know. :P

check out www.absinthe-supreme.com.......this is it....if u ask me.....so far the best absinthe i have ever tried....

maximum content of tujone...very smooth and great taste and aroma...yummy......

absinthe regards

fatso

Back up a second.

Read THIS first.

Then, introduce yourself here.

Read some of the threads. You'll quickly discover that most Czech absinthe is very poorly regarded. Quite a few of us (including myself) don't consider Czechsinthe absinthe at all. Good luck and :cheers:

Why do I suspect he may be absinthesupreme.com?

Or perhaps I'm jumping the gun, in which case, my apologies Fatso, and what T73 said.

We try to be nice...

Hopefully, Fatso will respond with an "Oooops!" to start his Newcomer introduction.

However, if Absomphe is right and Fatso is a shill, you guys have full permission from me (and I assume Hiram) to take him apart and feed him to Michael Vick's dawgs.