Sign in to follow this  
Robert (DrinkBoy) Hess

Period Costumes

The topic has come up in a few other threads, so I thought I start a dedicated thread (assuming tht there isn't one gathering dust around here somewhere already) to share thoughts, ideas, and links to sources, for period-wear.

Here is a site that I've been meaning to place an order through for some time:

http://www.gentlemansemporium.com

But just haven't gotten around to it yet. I expect that some of the rest of you have similar links and ideas on what would be appropriate attire for a late 1800's "bon vivant"

Would also love to see pictures of what folks already have along these lines.

-Robert

That's a great site - I've heard some good things about the goods they have on offer.

I've collected a few links for costumers, including retailers of repro and genuine vintage items, sewing patterns, etc. If anyone's curious, the list is here

I'm working on a mid 19th-century style dress for an upcoming convention, and I'll probably have pix to share after said con, although it's not the sort of dress I'd usually make for myself... (I'm cosplaying something very silly)

Otherwise, I'm holding off all my late 19th/early 20th century sewing until the end of the summer when I start gearing up for the local Dicken's Fair. But then, hoo-boy, I'm going to be busy. Ruffles and ruching and fiddly bits of fringe up to my eyeballs...

- Johanna

I've got a vintage morning coat (like this), collarless shirts (some vintage, some repro) and a couple boxes of collars (also vintage). I have a top hat which, other than a baseball cap, is about the only kind of hat that looks good on my bulbous head. I do need to get some vests.

Ruffles and ruching and fiddly bits of fringe up to my eyeballs...

Oooooooooooo! A woman after my own heart! Aside from the medical advances and women getting equal rights (uh, when did I think that happened?), I was born too late. Gimme petticoats and men in hats carrying walking sticks.

I'm more of a Gibson girl by inclination, myself (except for those damfool high necklines!) but I'm learning to like the 19th century more and more, particularly natural form in the 1870s. I used to be a strictly Tudor kinda gal, with flashes of mod but my tastes are broadening. ;)

- Johanna

I have a vintage 19th century formal tailcoat and near-mint top hat. Alas, the tailcoat got a bit too small over the years, so the modern repro will have to do.

I'm also fairly handy at costuming, so I could probably whip something up.

Trin has a Titanic repro dress, with sequins and beads. Nice.

I've been itching to place a few orders with Gentleman's Emporium.

I don't go in for that type of thing. Dressing up is silly and pointless.

Oh, who am I kidding. I actually put this together for the WS new years eve event last year before the "formal" was dropped.

post-43-1147387651.jpg

Due a gratuitous rash of problems with gentleman's emporium I can no longer suggest them as a quality company. My order, has been delayed for a month now for multiple vendor-side reasons turning out to be a big hassle. I won't be ordering from them again. Just a warning to the fellow deranged period dressing people.

I have a vintage 19th century formal tailcoat

Is it bitter?

sorry couldn't resist

The highland Frock coat is awesome looking, I might have to get myself one for general wear.

Oh, who am I kidding.  I actually put this together for the WS new years eve event last year before the "formal" was dropped.

post-43-1147387651.jpg

Shai, didn't I see you on "Deadwood"?

Let's see.. tons and tons of corsets, period and not so period, bustles, petticoats, bloomers, tops, blouses, victorian riding hat (decorated).. walking cane, walking cane/umbrella combo and a purse.

and still collecting

As I'm a costumer with a particular passion for the Regency through Edwardia eras, I guess I'll just have to post photos here, once I finish working on my actual portfolio site, for all you lovely folk to gawk at. I tend to use period patterns, re-drafted to accomidate my not-very-victorian figure (12" difference bust to waist what what?)