Auguru

"Imbibe" magazine suggestion

I came across a new magazine on the newsstand yesterday: "Imbibe".

Imbibe Magazine

Given the issue on the stands is their first, I have no idea whether they will make it or not. Or if they will do the topics they cover any justice. Nevertheless, may I suggest we send a few emails or letters suggesting an article on our favorite spirit? The editor might find the topic interesting, and who knows, perhaps commission an article from one of our own WS members. It certainly wouldn't hurt to get a jump on the idea (before something disappointing rolls out).

Modern Drunkard is full of heavy drinkers that love booze above all,

they take unkindly to anyone getting serious about particular spirits.

They just wanna get drunk.

This new mag looks like it may be more serious.

If the name is any indicator, I'd say that this magazine could be from the same people that produce the magazines "Chow" and "Dwell." Chow is unfortunately on a hiatus from publishing right now, but I really enjoyed the first couple of issues they put out. If there's any relation between the two, then hopefully it might make for an interesting read.

Wow...I was totally surprised to see a thread on "Imbibe" magazine. Karen and her husband Bo are really good friends of ours (we even live in the same neighborhood). My wife worked with Karen at "Fresh Cup" magazine and contributed to the premier issue of "Imbibe". I had a little hand in it myself, I was one of the guest judges for the American Pale Ale taste off. Here's another article on Karen from the Portland Tribune if you are interested:

http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=35129

She's going to be so stoked to hear that the word is getting around. I've already suggested doing a cover story on "our friend" and she told me it is on her radar. Karen would be absolutely delighted to hear from you guys and is very open to suggestions, input, etc.

Karen is an awesome person and extremely dedicated to "Imbibe". She's had this vision for a few years now and I really respect her for taking a big risk like this to do something she really believes in.

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy the magazine and if you find it rewarding please subscribe. This venture of hers is going to be a real challenge, but the more exposure the better chance she will succeed.

While I'm at it I will continue to shamelessly plug away. Her husband Bo is equally awesome and a real slick craftsman. He has some really great stuff if you're interested. I've seen the "lux bar" and it's damn wicked.

http://made-studio.com/

Cheers to the success of Imbibe!! :cheers:

-Dave

Oh and if you haven't already guessed there is no relation to "Chow and Dwell".

Thanks for clarifying, sleepdemon. The simple, catchy name just seemed to jive with the other two. I suspect its going to be hard to find around here, so to save myself the trouble of nagging the book stores to carry it I plan to just buy a subscription at the end of the month. I'll try anything once.

Well, almost anything.

Karen would be absolutely delighted to hear from you guys and is very open to suggestions, input, etc.

Karen is an awesome person and extremely dedicated to "Imbibe". She's had this vision for a few years now and I really respect her for taking a big risk like this to do something she really believes in.

Kudos to her then. :cheers:

Please tell her that you are acquainted with the weirdo who emailed her out of the blue last night about absinthe. ;)

I also invited them up to be our guests at an event.

Wow...I was totally surprised to see a thread on "Imbibe" magazine. Karen and her husband Bo are really good friends of ours (we even live in the same neighborhood). My wife worked with Karen at "Fresh Cup" magazine and contributed to the premier issue of "Imbibe".
What a nice piece of synchronicity.

Please tell her that you are acquainted with the weirdo who emailed her out of the blue last night about absinthe.  ;)

Sure thing Hiram, no problem. I already put in a good word for you. I told her....

"Hey Karen. King Shit of Fuck Mountain has spoken. You've heard of EF Hutton right? When EF Hutton talks people listen. When Hiram talks people drop a load in their pants first, and then listen. To disregard the words of our leader is to disrespect the society. We are not a violent lot but our relentless quest to propagate the truth shall not be denied. Don't be the fool, don't jeopardize your dreams. You've been forewarned, submission is the only true path. Disobedience will not be tolerated. We are everywhere and will track you down. To ignore the master's demands is to abandon your hopes."

Something like that anyway. Is that cool? :shock:

I also invited them up to be our guests at an event.

Great!! I was just looking through the threads and trying to nail down the next northwestern event. Are these usually in Seattle?

Sorry about the above comment, that man is gone now. I may need to be censored...or put in a straight jacket.

Was that "drop" or "shoot"?

I spoze it depends upon to whom Worshipful Master Hiram is speaking, eh?

Do ya think it'd be possible to get MULTIPLE absinthe articles? Say, an "introductory" article which focuses more on history and what it is and what it isn't, and then a review of the next Absinthiades or something of that nature?

I'd drink to that! :cheers:

Stopped by B&N to check out the magazine. Not bad. A little light on content with a bit too much of the "look how cool we are" trendoid scenester attitude; but I'm still gonna pick up a subscription. Would like to see a bit more depth in the articles.

Stopped by B&N to check out the magazine.  Not bad.  A little light on content with a bit too much of the "look how cool we are" trendoid scenester attitude; but I'm still gonna pick up a subscription.  Would like to see a bit more depth in the articles.

I do agree. Some of the articles fell a little short, others were pretty insightful (Oaxaca). I'm confident going forward the depth of the articles will be more consistent. As far as the "trendoid scenester attitude" B) and understanding her target audience I'm guessing there will always be a "trendster" feel to it. As long as that doesn't trump the quality of the articles and overall content I'm ok with it. I know what you mean though.

A primer article would be good, followed by a second article that is different from current fare. There are enough Tedcentric clone articles, perhaps a different view of everything such as an article about the "other-guys."

Other-guys as in other distilleratorists as well as other people in the absinthe community that have helped to bring absinthe to what it is today. Although an article about Kyle and underground druggy wormwood soaking could be funny, but nothing new.

I believe you meant "distillistas".

Hey, an article making fun of filterators and home-steepifyers could be funny, along with a side-by-side tasting of King of SPoo with, say, anything else! But preferably something good.

Steepifyers, macerators, distillerators, distillistas, filterators, distilleratorists, fellators and dominatrixes.

Keeping the fairy green is no mean task.

I do agree. Some of the articles fell a little short, others were pretty insightful (Oaxaca). I'm confident going forward the depth of the articles will be more consistent. As far as the "trendoid scenester attitude"  B) and understanding her target audience I'm guessing there will always be a "trendster" feel to it. As long as that doesn't trump the quality of the articles and overall content I'm ok with it. I know what you mean though.

Yeah, it's a pretty common tone for most afficianado magazines these days (especially those involved with "alternative" subculture scenes); and like i said, it wasn't bad enough to stop me getting a subscription.

My favorite bit was the recipes. I'm always interested in new and unusual recipes for stuff. That's something I would definitely like to see more of as well.

I think more important than just odd recipes is a review of the recipe by someone who knows what they are talking about. On the internet there are plenty of drink recipe sites, but with only user ratings to go by it's hard to tell if something unusual will be good or a waste of booze. I've seen high ratings for horrible cocktails and wonder if those are the same people keeping Hills in business.