badfish

Absinthe qualities

Hello,

I am new here but not new to Absinthe. Moved from Canada to Switzerland about 2 years ago, so that was just before they lifted the ban in Switzerland. I have tried absinthe when I was in Canada (the Cech stuff) and I have had quite a few good bottles since I have been over here.

My question are the qualities you look for in a good absinthe? Color, aroma, louche, effect, taste?

Or are you more willing to try new ones just to see if you like it? (IE some of the reds, different finishing products, etc..)

Badfish

Welcome :)

All the things you listed, and yes, you should be trying a lot in Switzerland ;)

Perhaps this should have been posted in the newcomer section.

Taste is #1 for me, I would include aroma in the taste as they are complimentary.

If the absinthe is made well enough to taste and smell good the louche and color will more often than not be of fine quality. If the color and louche are weak, the taste will surely be the same, though a beautiful color and thick louche does not guarantee a good taste.

Effects are secondary...

if they happen or not will not influence my decision to drink or sink.

Nice to have you here, now wander over to the newcomers area and tell us a bit about yourself.

I mainly look for flavor and texture. Color is what it is.

Effects? Sometimes, sometimes not.

I let all the newbs tell me how bad the new stuff is. When something good might come around a tasting, I'll try it there.

Hello and Welcome.

For me, Aroma, mouth feel, Taste are the big ones... although I do like a thick louche (which I find makes a difference to the feel of it).

Check out the Absinthe Scoring Sheet on FeeVerte.net. It has some really good pointers on what you should be looking for when trying a new absinthe.

The thing NOT to do, IMO, is to be too analytical or deconstructionist about it. Absinthe, more than any other drink, is about the complete experience. Certainly when trying something for the first time, don't stress too much about evaluating all its individual qualities. The only thing you should pay attention to is how much you're enjoying the experience.

I think aroma, texture and taste kinda work together.

I don't care about effect, because I get nothing significant.

And color is color, though I tend to prefer the blanches over the vertes.

A few exceptions to that rule, but a good blanche makes Abby happy.

The bottom line is that the more you drink, the more I'll like you.

Oh wait, that's not what I meant to say.

The more you drink, the more you'll discover the more subtle flavors and textures of different absinthes.

Everyone I know who has only tried one or two absinthes always says, "it tastes like black licorice." Doesn't matter if it was Guy or Deva 70 or Un Emile or Brut d'alambic. By your third or fourth bottle, you'll really be able to figure out what you like.

Cheers, and welcome.

Sometimes I type out loud when I don't mean to.

Hey G&C!

You really should visit the Pit more often.

Wanna host a Fest? :devil:

Oops...getting off topic...sorry, Cap'n.

Feeling a wee bit too intoxicated to type coherently, I composed a post of emoticons to respond to your last post. I received the following message:

You have posted a message with more emoticons that this board allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message

Ha!

Some days, I feel mildly retarded, which is why I limit my posting here.

I'm much more comfy being retarded elsewhere.