Sign in to follow this  
MrGreenGenes

Busted at the Border

A friend of mine recently returned from a weekend in British Columbia. At the duty-free shop next to the border at Sumas he saw a bottle of Hill's Absinth, but was unsure about bringing it home over the border. The manager of the store assured him that it was no problem and customs "wouldn't care."

But when he showed the US Customs agent his duty-free receipt, he has asked to pull over to the side for a search. My friend tried to explain that that the manager of the duty-free store said it was OK for him to bring a bottle of absinth(e) home. The agent shook his head and made him an offer as an alternative to the bottle being confiscated. My friend could walk back to the duty-free store with the bottle and get a refund, provided that he return to the border with the store manager's business card so that the agent could call and chew him out for telling people it was OK to carry absinthe into the US. For $60 US that was the option to take.

I told him that if he really wants to know what Hill's absinth tastes like, he could take a swig of Scope mouthwash. He'd be better off ordering the real thing from LdF instead, so I'm sending him the link.

Wow, that sucks. Last time I was at the Duty Free store in Sumas they didn't even carry Hill's, damn. Even though I hardly get searched anyway. What did he do, present the damn receipt to the guy?? Or is he one of those guys who just kind of "looks guilty?"

The Customs official did your friend two favors, first allowing him to return the bottle and second (from what I've heard) saving your friend the unhappy experience of actually having to drink that stuff.

I told him that if he really wants to know what Hill's absinth tastes like, he could take a swig of Scope mouthwash.  He'd be better off ordering the real thing from LdF ...

I couldn't believe it when I heard LdF was carrying Hill's. But at least they don't carry the cheap knock-offs.

Last I heard, they were still only carrying French and Swiss absinthes (and the odd German exception) - not Hill's.

If you think MrGreenGenes meant that LdF carried Hill's, you misread. If not, on what page on the LdF site can I find Hill's?

Hill's - avavilable now from your favovrite venvdor.

:laf:

Was that page ever on the site?

It would have been an excellent April fool's page (unless there would have been a danger of being sued for libel, although my opinion is that there's nothing libelous in the paragraph).