I don't know the recipe for White Fairy. I can tell you that in absinthe making, all herbs are dried, never fresh. The filtration systems used today in wine, beer and other alcohols (multiple plate system) are way too aggressive for filtering absinthe after coloring. As can be seen with the Emile Pernot products. After coloring they are a nice shade of green, after filtering they becom a subpar absinthe. For some strange reason, the distiller feels a need to run it through one of the aforementioned plate filters after removing the coloration herbmass. This removes much of the flavoring component from the colorations step (and some of the flavor oils from distilling). After initial filtering with the haircloth (or other suitable method) absinthe should rest for a while. During this rest period, particulates will drop out and settle on the bottom (affectionately known as "sea monkeys" around these parts) and the now cleared green absinthe can be siphoned of the particulate matter and bottled.

Edited by Dr. Verte

Ain't puppet doctors fun? Or is he a doctor puppet?

So, did he hit it on the nose, PV?

Edit: Duh, he must be a doctor puppet, as a puppet doctor would repair puppets.

Edited by TrainerAZ

We need Hiram to photoshop up a prototype
Sure. I'll need a naked picture of Pensieve. :devil:

PV is a dot matrix printer

Anybody want to see what he really said?

We prefer to allow him the option of recanting, and dots what it's all about.

One thing that could be mentioned is that the White Fairy is a blanche. Hence no filter would screw up coloring. Just for the record, so everyone knows...

We prefer to allow him the option of recanting, and dots what it's all about.

This post has been edited by Gatsby: today, 9:17 AM.

Edited by Gatsby

We need Hiram to photoshop up a prototype

Sure. I'll need a naked picture of Pensieve. :devil:

Took you long enough to reply with the witty banter. Been busy lately?

Edited by ShaiHulud

One thing that could be mentioned is that the White Fairy is a blanche. Hence no filter would screw up coloring. Just for the record, so everyone knows...

I am well aware of that fact. And perhaps I should have been more clear that I was referencing Un Emile's vertes. I wonder if they also do run the White Fairy through the filtering mechanism?

Of course you knew that. I just wanted to clarify for those who might not have known.

AFAIK the new owners of the Pernot distillery are a lot more open to good ideas and suggestions and listen a lot more to what is said about production, which is also why changes and improvements have been made to the Emile 68 and the White Fairy.

I don't know about filteration of the WF.

Edited by hartsmar

Hmm, with new owners that want to improve their product and stop cheating their customers (IMO adding plain alcohol to dilute the final product is cheating. How dare they give people who do absinthe a cut product :) ) I might consider giving it a try in the future.

Cutting it with ethanol and filtering out the Flavor Molecules would certainly explain why it's so thin and tasteless.

Kinda like ____________ (insert overly-skinny and indiscreet celebrity name here).

Hmm, with new owners that want to improve their product and stop cheating their customers (IMO adding plain alcohol to dilute the final product is cheating. How dare they give people who do absinthe a cut product :) ) I might consider giving it a try in the future.

Keep in mind that finished absinthe (post distillation & coloring) is supposed to be cut...with water. Off the still absinthe is about 81-85% alcoholic. Post coloring absinthe should be watered down to around 68-74% and allowed to age. During this aging period, some of the pectins/protiens/other herbal matter, re-form and drop out and settle to the bottom.

the white fairy was recently modified. how? ...

the distillery was also instructed not to filter the white fairy before bottling, which is normally done through a multi-layered cellulose plate contraption which is quite aggressive in terms of removing more than just unsightly particals or tint.

we have found this type of filtering also strips flavor and anethol, and as everyone knows, the pernot absinthes certainly don't need less anethol than they have.

I wonder if they also do run the White Fairy through the filtering mechanism?

Since Pierre isn't talking, I presume his original post means that they did in the original version, but did not use such equipment in the new version. And that may explain the color difference. (Just stating the obvious as always.) :D

The dilution of the distilled spirit with alcohol and water was typical of the traditional recipes for Absinthes Ordinaire, Semi-fine, and Fine as given in Duplais and other distiller's manuals of the time. Check Oxy's site, in Books IV. And there was a huge market for such products in that era. Not everyone could afford to drink Pernod Fils on a regular basis, and some (many?) couldn't afford it at all. My guess would be the recipe for the White Fairy was probably for an Absinthe Fine and the product was pretty good in it's class, in it's day. A lot of our expectations are now biased in favor of the Absinthe Suisse type of product. I imagine that's for the best.

I'm putting the White Fairy on my (admittedly long) list of absinthes to try.

:cheers: