britgeekgrrl

Calloo! Callay! (Absinthe Glasses)

Hiram-

One of the WS events should be "Authentic Costume Absinthe Era Green Hour" so that those of us who want to dress for the times can go all out. I have a Frock Coat pattern that I have been itching to make for Chuck. Complete with vest and TOP HAT, although I believe he may be mistaken for a younger Leon Russell when wearing it.

I suppose this has been brought up before, but I am too lazy to search...

Hiram-

One of the WS events should be "Authentic Costume Absinthe Era Green Hour" so that those of us who want to dress for the times can go all out. . .

As long as it's not compulsory.

One of the WS events should be "Authentic Costume Absinthe Era Green Hour" so that those of us who want to dress for the times can go all out.
A fabulous idea. I brought it up very early on, but it met with a cool reception from the less imaginative or adventurous participants.
As long as it's not compulsory.
None of our events are compulsory! People are always perfectly free to stay home.

I was planning on giving Le Manoir Hanté a break this year after three consecutive Halloween bashes, but I am starting to lean the other way now... towards an absinthe themed and period costume BYO sort of thing.

If there's enough interest...

It has been years since I went to a costume party. Back in 1975, a college girlfriend and I went to a Halloween party as hookers. (I know, clicheé, but every nice girl has to do it at least once in her life.) I mean, we were really tarted up. Low cut tops, short skirts (I was a lot skinnier then) lots of make-up and teased out hair. One of our friends asked us what we were supposed to be. We made the mistake of asking him what he thought we looked like. His answer? "Babe and Molly", our real names.

Thanks a pantload.

A vintage themed party would be cool (not like I would be able to go), what I would suggest is making those in costume pay x and those without costume pay 2x to give an incentive. Post a number of pictures showing what people should dress up as and what you will be dressing up as so people know what to shoot for. Include sites that sell vintage looking clothes. You may also consider going to a costume shop and buying some stuff so you can throw it on people who couldn't buy anything or were lazy.

Whereas I often have to be restrained from dressing up in silly outfits, as I do it too darn often for most decent folks. ;)

*wistful sigh* I'd love to attend a Belle Epoque/Bohemian dressup absinthe event - how much are flights to your end of the world, these days? ;)

- Johanna

Hiram-

One of the WS events should be "Authentic Costume Absinthe Era Green Hour" so that those of us who want to dress for the times can go all out. I have a Frock Coat pattern that I have been itching to make for Chuck. Complete with vest and TOP HAT, although I believe he may be mistaken for a younger Leon Russell when wearing it.

I suppose this has been brought up before, but I am too lazy to search...

I got mine :wave2:

post-35-1145028080.gif

I don't suppose you've heard of Clan MacDude, greenimp?

(It's a little known fact that the Scottish introduced surfing to Polynesia. No, really....)

I mention 'em because the clan tartan is the ugliest Hawaiian print you can lay your hand on....

The MacDudes used to have a beach party every March, because Santa Cruz in March was comparable to July in Scotland... Fizzball would be played (something involving canned beer and axehandles, near as I could figure), potato guns would be fired and all sorts of other things that involved moderate-to-heavy drinking would occur.

Meanwhile, back on the topic of the forum in general, my bottles of Nouvelle Orleans and Eduoard arrived today, hooray! Now I've got to hide them from myself until the drinkup in July *bites knuckle*. Good thing I've got a pal (hopefully) bringing me an interim supply from the UK or else I'd have some 'splainin to do, methinks...

- Johanna

I brought it up very early on, but it met with a cool reception from the less imaginative or adventurous participants.

Sir. I am extremely imaginative and adventurous. However, Maggie made me promise to never wear that in public again! Fortunately, the police just laughingly told me that in many states, it is illegal to set goats on fire. Go figure. But, it's nice that you guys would welcome my little hobby into your homes.

I don't suppose you've heard of Clan MacDude, greenimp?

I mention 'em because the clan tartan is the ugliest Hawaiian print you can lay your hand on...

- Johanna

No, I haven't heard of them.

I'm pretty sure I can top anything they have.

I'll bet they've never shown up at a funeral home wearing an aloha shirt.

I have.

No, I haven't heard of them.

I'm pretty sure I can top anything they have.

I'll bet they've never shown up at a funeral home wearing an aloha shirt.

I have.

I'd have to ask the Keeper O'Lore if I'm remembering this correctly, but I believe the Clan Patriarch attended a friend's memorial in his Hawaiian-print kilt. Not quite the same as an aloha shirt to a funeral home, but I think it's comparable. :-D

My question is, were you attending a service at said funeral home when you wore the aloha shirt, or were you present for other reasons? ;)

- Johanna