britgeekgrrl

Calloo! Callay! (Absinthe Glasses)

Courtesy of the eversonice Mz. Hissykitties, I now own a pair of replica Pontarlier glasses. Ohmigosh, they're beautiful!

I feel sorta bad that all I have left to christen them with is a sample of La Fee Verte - although I actually sorta like the stuff *runs away*

Gawsh, I'll never swig absinthe out of a plastic wineglass again!

- Johanna

As a matter of fact, I am!

And I know La Fee is much maligned for it's artificial color but darnit, it's such a pretty artificial color!

(she says, sipping on her 'it's a worknight, so I'll just have a little bit' dose')

- johanna

La Fee does have its place. It's definitely better than crapsinthe or absente. Congrats on the glasses. Hopefully you won't catch the expensive collecting bug. Collecting absinthe glasses got me into collecting beer glasses. Good bye paycheck.

I'm trying very hard to dodge the collection bug, but I'm one of those people who loves collecting things. My sewing room is half-full of patterns from the 1960s and it's not like any of them could fit me. A skinny bunch, our ancestors.

And yeah, La Fee has its place. I'm giving thought to getting a full-size bottle and distributing samples to friends at an upcoming event... (long story short: I was already threatening to make a Kylie-Minogue-in-Moulin-Rouge costume, anyway... I might as well have party favors...) Anything to save people from Sebor and King of Spirits, right?

- Johanna

After the first absinthe tasting I organized, a friend gave me four perfectly lovely spoons as a thankyou, so I'm already started on that habit, as I'm thinking "Gee, silver plate (or even solid) would be so much prettier... ooh! What's this on google!"

I'm doomed. Doomed, I say. :)

- johanna

Oooooo! Another seamstress! The only difference between us is that my vintage patterns form the 60s are ones I actually used...at that time...and I kept.

Yes,I am older than dirt. :reaper:

I just sorta stumbled into the collection. One moment I was looking for an authentic pattern to use for a 1960s-setting event, next thing I know, I'm frantically trolling through garage sales and thrift stores and putting together The Electric Swinging Pussycat Lounge

I discovered my inner mod, I guess. ;)

These days, I try to limit myself to 1960 - 1965 patterns, but I don't have much success, I"ll admit. When I find something at the thrift store for fifty cents... *wibble*

- Johanna

If you absolutely have to be doomed, I can think of many worse ways than absinthe and absinthiana collecting. :P

I dunno, try telling my husband that...

Following a really unpleasant experience on Jagermeister - involving a fifth and some hallucinations that had him trying to pick up a hallucinated dollar bill off the highway whilst the car was going 60MPH - the smell of anise/licorice makes him hurl.

You wouldn't believe the amount of tooth-brushing and Listerine gargling I do after I've indulged.

Needless to say, I think he prefers my 1960s sewing pattern habit. It's cheaper, too. But since he collects comics, he can't object to my hobbies costing a few pennies... ;)

- Johanna

Trippin' Ballz on Jager? The Livejournal crowd (no offense to any LJers out there) will have a ball when they google that one! :P

I can see it now: "Yeah, trippin' on Jager feels like bein' high on hash. And I thought 'sinthe made me trip..."

Courtesy of the eversonice Mz. Hissykitties, I now own a pair of replica Pontarlier glasses.

It's a slippery slope. Now you must have a pair of spoons and a fountain. Oh, by the way, Frenchman has just launched a small repro fountain with just a pair of spigots ;).

My collecting led me to eBay. Then the addiction. I've since kicked the habit with professional help. Like any good addict there will always be cravings. By golly, I'm a good addict. I doubt I'll be totally cured until they are throwing dirt in my face.

Absinthe, merely an infatuation.

Could I be in denial?

;)

I've always collected crap, something in the New England genes makes one a packrat.

As a kid it was baseball cards, I'm over that, but still have all my old sets.

Now it's antique New England breweriana (beer trays, bottles, cans, labels, glasses, etc....)

My absinthe collection is about a dozen glasses (2 antiques) and a couple dozen spoons (4 antiques), and an antique sugar bowl, this will surely be growing.

Meow. I am very happy that you like them!

This is my current drinking glass:

post-243-1144935297_thumb.jpg

My mother recently gave me some pieces out of her wedding crystal collection that make lovely absinthe glasses. My parents just had their 51st wedding annniversary this last weekend.

Do you think you could make me a top hat?

Alas, the 1960s, not the 1860s, nor do I have any millinery patterns. If you're seriously looking for a custom-made top hat, I could ask around my milieu after milliners. I don't know if any I know makes gents' hats, they being such a specialty and all, but I can ask... I've got a bunch of pals in the Dicken's Fair circuit, so they're bound to have some suggestions for high-end headgear.

- Johanna

Okay, okay. My ancestors. Well, my aunties. How's that?

A thousand apologies, yer Majesty.

- Johanna

PS I used to volunteer at an archive that stored patterns from the 1870s onwards - now THAT was a bunch of tiny, skinny ladies.

Frenchman now has a lot of new style fountains (though most are prototypes).
Wow. I'm floored by Phil's new prototypes. Check out the swirl on this lantern and the detail on this stem:

post-143-1144943508.jpg

It would be great if you could mix 'n' match stems, lanterns, and caps for a customized fountain.

PS I used to volunteer at an archive that stored patterns from the 1870s onwards - now THAT was a bunch of tiny, skinny ladies.

Those sadistic corsets definitely skewed the "reality" of some of those skinny curves, though.

Victorians. :rolleyes:

Not as much as you might think.

Recent studies have shown that the average waist size in the 1880s... was 28.

Today's average is, I think 32.

"Tight lacing" existed, yes but, then - as now - extreme reduction was a fetish activity.

Also, a lot of ladies would buy corsets far too small, say, a lady with a 28" waist buys a 20" corset in order to brag up that she "wears" a 20" waist, although she might never lace it anywhere *near* closed. Kinda like "vanity sizing" today. I know I once bought a pair of pants just becuase they were labeled size 8 and fit, despite the fact that by *industry* standards, I'm a size 16.

Young ladies, of course, had tinier waists by dint of youth (she says, remembering when she was 17 and had a 24" natural waist) and they could conceivably tight-lace down to 18". Ouch.

But it seems that most ladies did NOT tight lace. The working classes, of course, couldn't do it at all as they needed their breath in order to do their jobs...

Oh dear. That was a tangent wasn't it? Sorry, corsets are an interest of mine. ;)

I got hooked (ahem) on corsets when volunteering at vpll.org and it was all downhill from there.

Finding a fashion that suits busty broads such as myself didn't hurt much, either - well, unless I tightlace. ;)

If the crowd will forgive a rampant plug, I co-mod a v. useful community on LJ corset makers and another one for buyers and sellers of custom corsets

Lotsa useful stuff for corsetiers in both places. :)

- Johanna