Sign in to follow this  
Stevian

Adventures in Absinthe Evangelism

I've just returned from a few days in my old stomping ground of Brisbane and would like to share with you an incident from my trip.

Myself and a companion were at the Breakfast Creek Hotel, famous for being haunted and serving XXXX off the wood. After downing a few- more than a few actually, in fact I think we were pretty far gone because we both thought it was hilarious when I said "If we don't see the ghosts at least we'll have seen the spirits"- we discussed what we drink when we're not drinking "Queenslands favourite beer"

I mentioned that I hoped in the near future to be drinking Absinthe, at this my companion quite animated and assured me I was in for the time of my life. Some months previously while in Sydney she had been taken to a seedy and dimly lit bar where she had tasted absinthe for the first and only time (she had assumed it was available only through a semi-criminal underclass, and was pleasantly surprised when I told her it was available quite openly). She found the experience mind-blowing and credits it with best sex she has had in over twenty years

Knowing the answer I asked how it had been served, and sure enough it was a variant of the Czech ritual but with a lemon wedge added which I haven't heard of before. Her guide, a young gentleman of Polish extraction, assured her that this was the Traditional One True Right and Only way to serve Absinthe.

I of course leapt into action to disabuse her of this notion. First telling her that Czech Absinthe is "not highly regarded among connoisseurs" and explained to her the "beauteous mystery of the louch". She, God love her, is one of the few people on the planet who actually believes my opinion count for something.

So there you have it. Changing the world one person at a time.

By the by, is it true that, to you Americans, the phrase "Make it a Fourex, Mate" means something totally different than it means here in Aus.?

Man... I can't believe people in Queensland drink that stuff. I always thought XXXX was one of those joke beers that no one actually drinks except at 2am in some dirty faux-aussie dive in north London.

You know, like Fosters.

Meanwhile, back at the topic:

What really gets under my skin is the number of people who think absinthe tastes "like black licorice." Case in point, Saturday night, I offered tastes of Eddie & EdPdF to two different people both of whom said they tasted "like black licorice." Makes me wanna holler!

:blowup:

A lot of people lack the ability or the experience to distinguish certain tastes. There is no denying that anise DOES indeed taste similar to licorice. An untrained tongue might not be able to tell the difference. In the same regard, anise is probably the most, if not only, familiar taste in absinthe for a lot of people. So the common reaction is to state what they recognize.

I think you'll find that the types of people that enjoy absinthe are also the types of people who enjoy well crafted beer and nicely prepared meals. Keep in mind though that a lot of people also like Coors and McDonalds. So when a I let someone try some absinthe and they say "Eww, it tastes like black licorice!" I simply say, "Oh , well, let me finish your glass for you then."

No point in stressing over someone who doesn't like absinthe. Now if they've tried Hill's while backpacking in Amsterdam and insist that absinthe sucks based on that, then you can stress.

Absinthe does taste like black licorice. That's because it's difficult to find a licorice that doesn't supplement with anise flavoring. It's the same phenomenon that leads people to think that cherries taste like almond extract. If you ever tasted pure licorice extract, you'd be unlikely to confuse it with anise.

Our absinthe social circle numbers about a dozen in the Flathead Valley. Old drinking chums who don't enjoy the taste (or still buy into the old absinthe legends) appear envious of our new indulgence. My heart goes out to them.