ripvanmd

The most Newby of newbie

I just want to say thanks for all of the info...you folks have been invaluable in securing my future bankruptcy

Just call us a full service website. :cheers:

As for Tom Terrific...I'd be interested to see that cartoon now.  It creeped me out when I was a child.

Welcome to your favorite nightmare...

terrific3.gif

Altho I thought the earlier Terrytoon characters of Heckle and Jeckle and Mighty Mouse were a cut above li’l Tommy and his pollyanna funnel hat topped morphing act. Mighty Manfred carried the show for those two. I always felt Saturday morning cartoons got off to a great start when I could get up in time to catch the 7 AM H&J Show.

I prefer the BdF to the VdF, but, I usually prefer a blanche to a verte.

I prefer the BdF over the VdF as well by far, and it has nothing to do with preferring blanches over vertes in general.

I retract the whippersnapper comment, Brooks.  It looks like you have almost four years on me.  I remember Grandfather Clock but still have no memory of  The Banana Man.  Memory fades.  I'd love to see an old show.

I've got you both beat as far as age is concerned. (1949)

The Banana Man is permanently etched in my memory, a very strange act indeed! Attached below is an mp3 of one of the sounds the Banana Man made.

BananaSound.mp3

OUTSTANDING clip. Banana Man had a very special gift.

We have a Museum of Broadcasting, where you can look up and watch old TV shows. I'll have to make a Banana Man pilgrimage.

I have few pleasant memories of childhood, but eating Kellogg's Frosted Flakes in front of Saturday morning cartoons is one of them.

I have few pleasant memories of childhood, but eating Kellogg's Frosted Flakes in front of Saturday morning cartoons is one of them.

I remember camping out in front of the TV sat am before I could even tell time, watching the test pattern with the Indian head in the center, waiting for the national anthem to signal the beginning of the broadcast day which led off with the Cisco Kid.

I'm sure we can blame Ripvanmd for getting a couple of old coots off topic and on to maudlin childhood memories! For our house:

I like the Kübler 53.

Maggie prefers the Eichelberger.

I like the Marianne.

Maggie prefers the Professor. :devil:

The reality is, I like almost everything. Maggie is more discerning because some herbal combinations trigger some very acute allergies. She wasn't overly fond of the François Guy ("a bit thin") until she took Hiram's hint of adding it to her coffee.

Greetings ripvanmd :wave2:

Is "md" for medical doctor, Maryland, or is it just none of my damn business?

I wonder how many of the "Romper Room" franchise shows there were? 

My sister and I were on Romper Room in Decatur, Illinois. If there was a Romper Room in Decatur, there must have been franchise infestation throughout the land.

OUTSTANDING clip. Banana Man had a very special gift.

We have a Museum of Broadcasting, where you can look up and watch old TV shows. I'll have to make a Banana Man pilgrimage.

I visited that museum, I believe. It's in midtown, right? I wanted to view Vonnegut's Between Time & Timbuktu there, but settled for an Andy Kaufman special instead...

Another Banana Man clip is below:

ARobinsClarinet.mp3

I haven't thought of Kukla, Fran and Ollie in years. I can still hear the "clop noise" from Ollie's mouth banging together.

As a kid, I was enthralled every time Topo Gigio appeared on Ed Sullivan. When you're seven or eight, it was better than the Beatles.

I always found Kukla, Fran & Ollie to be a bit disturbing. Does anyone remember a bit about a kid who shrunk and went down the drain of the bathtub?

Way up here in the Pacific NW we had J.P. (that's Julius Pierpont for the uninitiated) Patches. We also had Stan Boreson, Captain Puget, Brakeman Bill and the short lived Wanda Wanda. Poor Wanda got busted for cocaine and was never heard from again.

J.P and his "girlfriend" Gertrude STILL turn up at events around Seattle.

I haven't thought of Kukla, Fran and Ollie in years.  I can still hear the "clop noise" from Ollie's mouth banging together. 

Speaking of clopping noises, who (besides me) remembers Danny O'Day & Farfel?

ripvanmd, we're not ignoring you! ;)

I admit, I had to "Google" it. As soon as I saw the first picture, I heard in the recesses of my peabrain, "N-e-s-t-l-e-s..."

I was certain I had killed those brain cells years ago.

Whew! Kukla, Fran and Ollie!

post-97-1144813791.jpg

I'm not quite old enough to remember the original show (except perhaps in re-runs), but do recall the "CBS Children's Film Festival" that was hosted by the self-same Kukla, Fran and Ollie. The puppets (like all puppets/marionettes) give me the creeping willies, but the TV show was wonderful. They had all kinds of imported films, mostly about kids. A personal favorite was "Hand in Hand" (Great Britain, 1960). About a Catholic boy and Jewish girl who become close friends and have to grapple with religious issues (does God approve?) after the other characters interfere and question their friendship.

Shai, I don't have a clear memory about the film you describe, but I found a web site with this description:

"Tony and the Tick-Tock Dragon" (Hungary)

A story that blends animation with live action about a boy looking for time, something his father won't give him. Tony is punished and sent to the bathroom. Two little animated men come through the running water of the bathtub and take him on a journey down the drain.

Shai, I don't have a clear memory about the film you describe, but I found a web site with this description:

"Tony and the Tick-Tock Dragon" (Hungary)

A story that blends animation with live action about a boy looking for time, something his father won't give him.  Tony is punished and sent to the bathroom. Two little animated men come through the running water of the bathtub and take him on a journey down the drain.

Wow, that must be it. I still have weird memory flashes of that film.

How about.....Clutch Cargo?
That cartoon would give a wolf the creeps. What were the animators thinking?

We probably will never know, Brooks, but those oddly moving lips are forever embedded in a crevace within my brain... :wacko: Hercules was another version..