Sign in to follow this  
Brooks

BYOB

While thumbing through a restaurant guide, I noticed that NYC has a lot of BYOB restaurants. I've never brought a bottle of anything to a restaurant, so I'm wondering if "bottle" refers solely to a bottle of wine. Could it be gin? Barq's root beer? Absinthe? Does the drink have to come in an actual bottle? What about a carton of milk, or a six-pack of beer? Who here knows anything about BYOB?

Imagine going to a crowded restaurant with a bottle of absinthe and a few friends. Imagine the slow dripping, and the spoons, and the looks this would get from a roomful of Americans drinking Chateau Plonk.

(Slackjaw hosted his recent dinner-and-absinthe party in a private room, and that's what got me thinking about this. I'd love to push it out of the closet!)

It seems that wine, and occasionally beer, are the intended implements being refered to in this acronym. I do not believe that restaurants would mind as much if a carafe of ice water was called for to pour over a spoon with or without sugar into a glass of absinthe as compared to, say, a bottle of dickel bourbon whiskey being mixed into a coca-cola.

Plunger, I'm sure you're right, and that BYOB applies to alcoholic beverages only. However, as long as you're paying a corkage fee, I see no reason why you should be restricted to wine or beer.

I'm going to phone some of these BYOB restaurants, and see what they have to say.

Do tell, Brooks. I have not searched the forum to see if this has been addressed previously, but am curious to see the results of your inquiries. Better yet, if you get a "green light", how the follow through turns out.

I've brought A bottle of Johnny Walker Blue into a restaurant. No one seemed to mind.

Course, we did run up a $1000 tab between four of us, so they probably would have let us bring homebrewed moonshine in an empty jam jar if we'd asked.

Remind me never to go drinking with you guys.

Brooks, I will also wait and see what your calls turn up. I honestly do not know what is legal here in the "Commomwealth" of Virginia. I may do a bit of research on my own. Just as long as nobody sues me after I reply with the results. :devil:

Brooks,

As far as I know BYOB in CT, MA, NY, and NJ, means you bring your beverage, no questions asked. How you get it there, and the problems you deal with on the way are your own issue.

There's a nice sushi joint near me that I bring in what I feel like bringing in. They just bring me the glasses and whatever else I ask for. I would think it wouldn't make a difference as to the contents of the bottle. It's not as if you are bringing liquid heroin onto the premises.

Besides, if most bars can get away with the copious amounts of coke that runs through their doors (oh I could tell you stories after working door at some seedy places between boston and nashville), why can't you bring in a bottle of goods that most people wouldn't even recognize??

-j.

HA!

Thanks for the encouragement, JRuined.

I need to find an accomplice. I'm not chickenxit about trying this, but I'd sooner not try it unaccompanied. The idea of performing that ritual alone in a crowded restaurant seems....what's the word?.....sad.

Wish you guys didn't live so far away.

me too... obviously.

It strikes me that a self confident looking gent deftly performing the ritual at a table by himself in a restaurant would not be alone for long.

I think you're wrong about that. More likely someone across the room would yell out: "What are you, The Laboratory of Dr. Fag?" What could I say to that, other than "You're half right"?

B)

Anyway, it would be more fun if I had a companion or two. Y'all need to come visit.

There's a restaurant here in San Francisco called Absinthe, and they actually have a "secret dining room", which you enter through a hidden door painted into a mural in the main dining room. This banquet room has a separate entrance to the kitchen, etc. and has always seemed to me like the ultimate location for a formal WS gathering, except that it's here.

Still, it's a first-rate french brasserie, and decorated like an absinthe museum. It's a block from the symphony hall, so that's their crowd. One day, I will see to it that we're served absinthe in that room, and Hiram has to be in full Count Chocula mode.

There's a picture of it in Betina's book, and a couple on their website, the amazingly simple :

Absinthe.com

I think you're wrong about that. More likely someone across the room would yell out: "What are you, The Laboratory of Dr. Fag?"

You really should visit San Fran in a 'heatbeat' (:Luscious Oily Lesbians!:) I'm sure they have a club somewhere called "Laboratory of Dr. Fag," it's only fitting, although I'm not sure the leather straps and electric prods that are bound to be in it are to your liking. :shock:

Count me in for the San Francisco get together at Absinthe's secret dining room, would gladly donate a bottle for such a worthy cause!

I'm not sure the leather straps and electric prods that are bound to be in it are to your liking.  :shock:
What do you mean? I thought everyone loved being tasered after a few absinthes. "Secondaries PLUS", I call it.

HA!

Thanks for the encouragement, JRuined.

I need to find an accomplice. I'm not chickenxit about trying this, but I'd sooner not try it unaccompanied. The idea of performing that ritual alone in a crowded restaurant seems....what's the word?.....pathetic.

Wish y'all didn't live so far away.

Man, I was just up in Manhattan to go to Astor Wines....had I only known. It was a beautiful day too.

Were any of your BYOB joints in Manhattan? If so, let me know, my wife and I will come up. That's just one more excuse to get out of the house and up to NYC.

Very nice looking place WBT. My son is stationed just south of there. Two events and one plane ticket. Interesting.

Thanks for the site.

:cheers:

Were any of your BYOB joints in Manhattan? If so, let me know, my wife and I will come up. That's just one more excuse to get out of the house and up to NYC.
All those BYOB joints are in the city, Shin, so let me consult my Zagats and we'll hatch a plan. I'd love to meet you both.

Sounds great. I saw a bunch of Zagat rated places while we were there, but I'm not sure which ones (if any) were BYOB.

I'll let my wife know.

The Zagat guide has a whole page of BYOB listings, so at some point we can talk over the prospects.

Brooks,

Once you all get to know me a bit better (and vice versa) I'll be happy to come out and chill at anywhere. I live no more than 2 hours from NYC and I'll be quite a bit closer if my wife ends up impressing the arch. firm she's interviewing with right now (knowing her I'm sure she will). Closer being within 30 min of Manhattan.

We spend enough time in the NYC area anyway, most of her family lives there.

-j.