sleepdemon

Newbie in Portland OR

Hello everyone!!

My initial interest in absinthe came about in '95 when I traveled to Amsterdam and Prague. In Prague there was an absinthe hangout that was very touristy(I think it was even listed in "Lets Go" :)). I was heavily engaged in other degenerate activities at the time and wasn't able to make my way to the absinthe bar. It was one of those things I wish I had done, however now that I've become more educated I'm almost glad I didn't. My guess is the absinthe they served was poop. I never thought to try and order online, too skeptical that I'd be getting ripped.

Fast forward to the present. One friend of mine ordered a few bottles, they were the ones with Van Gogh on the label and some others, I heard they tasted awful. I went to the site he ordered from (which is offline now) and it boasted of high thujone, etc. I was suspicious. Again never tasted them, only heard piss poor reviews. Decided to pass.

Enter friend #2 (the one and only "d4dahl"...another newbie to the Wormwood society). We started chatting it up and it was immediately clear the boy had done his research. So a couple weeks ago he came over with his bounty and was nice enough to serve up some NO to myself and a few buddies. I asked d4dahl to order me a sample, the Emile Pernot, so we hit that up as well. I was delighted by both, but did prefer the subtleties of the Emile Pernot. By the way, why add sugar? I can't imagine, perfect as is. I still remember the glass emitting this surreal glow down in my basement bar. It was effing awesome. The nose, the taste, the appearance, the mouthfeel, the ritual...everything about it was titillating. Yes, titillating. All together now....

Now I'm sitting at work doing nothing but researching absinthe with a big ass grin on my face TRYING to decide on my first purchase. This evening I plan to order the following from lqf:

-1 of the Clandestine 53 La Bleue

-1 of the Kübler 53

-glassware (any favorites?)

I'm happy to hear any suggestions. I can still taste the NO and Emile Pernot I sampled a couple weeks ago and would like to go a different direction and challenge my palate.

Oh and I also enjoy skinny-skiing and going to bull fights on acid. I brew mean meads, love my cutlery like I love my cats (never mix the two though), would love to meet Vonnegut, staunch OINK enthusiast/music freak, and not afraid to go over the top with any two cards if I feel I can push you off. You got that d4dahl? :devil:

Thanks everyone for slogging through my story, I'm honored to be a part of the Wormwood Society.

Cheers!!

Dang Sleeps, some on here might disagree with you on the "that boy had done his research" statement, but it's appreciated nonetheless. welcome aboard kid. :banana:

Welcome :wave2:

Finding the right glass and spoon is a unique process for each person. I personally find that I have a favorite glass/spoon set for different situations.

Nice intro. Welcome! :cheers:

I thought d4 was a girl. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Why sugar absinthe? For precisely the same reason people sugar grapefruit, coffee and tea.

To sugar or not to sugar is largely a genetic thing. The phenomenon is particularly complex with absinthe, since there are both bittering and sweetening agents involved. For example, I'm a supertaster, and perceive sweetness more intensely, but I'm much, much more susceptible to bitterness and consequently must sugar my absinthe and tea. I used to sugar my coffee (4 to 5 teaspoons), but weaned myself off of it and I always use cream.

Are you a super-taster?

Bien Venida,

I used to take sugar with it but don't now. Although.. if im tasting one that I dont particular like I will suck on a cube to help it go down easier. No use in wasting :devil:

Hope to meet up for a Portland get together some time :drunk:

...would love to meet Vonnegut,

Here is a lesson in creative writing.

First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

(From A Man Without A Country by Kurt Vonnegut)

:cheers:

To sugar or not to sugar is largely a genetic thing. 

Well Hiram I had to try it, don't know till you do! I took mine with sugar last night for the first time, albeit a small cube. I did enjoy the subtle sweetness from the cube, but it may just be the NO which seems to hit me up front with the anise more than I'd like.

I'm "normal". Never thought I'd be saying that.