I've heard that the only difference between a Cuba Libre and a rum & Coke is adding a twist. Kind of like how adding a twist to a vodka & cranberry makes it a Cape Codder.

Coke hasn't been The Real Thing™ since they substituted corn syrup for cane sugar.

There are a few mexican restaurants near me , and most of them serve and sell mexican Coke ( still made w/cane sugar) Check your local mexican places and ask for the glass bottles. You can tell by looking at the bottle if it's from Mexico.

If you add a drop or two of Angustura Bitters to a rum and coke you get a much more interesting drink. Actually reminds me of the flavor of those "coke bottle" gummies I had as a kid.

I broke down and bought a pack of the CocaCola Blak a couple of weeks ago. They taste just like the gummi bottles, to me.

WildBillTurkey,

We have those here. We also have the Dr.Pepper with Domino cane sugar. I'm not a big fan.

I am not a huge rum fan but having grown up in the Carribean, I have a bit of a soft spot for it.

Yse, yes, I know that soft spot may well be at the base of my brain.

From Paul Harrington's Cocktail — The Drinks Bible For the 21st Century, comes this spin on a Cuba Libre:

1 ounce light rum

1/2 ounce gin

1/4 ounce lime juice

2 to 3 ounces Coca-Cola

2 dashes bitters

Pour all ingredients except cola into shilled Collins glass filled with ice. Top with cola and stir. Garnish with a lime squeeze. For a drink closer to the original recipe, leave out the gin and bitters.

The gin and bitters sound like a good addition to me.

Does one get those from Opie?
Not any more. PM me for list of glassware shills.

You looking for a kitchen rotisserie? Opie's definitely the man to call if you want to "set it and forget it."

the Green Fairy doesn't stand a chance against The Real Thing™.

Coke hasn't been The Real Thing™ since they substituted corn syrup for cane sugar.

Coke hasn't been the real thing since they substituted caffiene for cocaine.

One only need know just how much coke to add to each serving of coke and it gets real again.

I did the math once and it came out if you drank three 8oz glasses real quick you could beat the hare.

Something like .08gm per 8oz I think.

Damn that was a long time ago.

One only need know just how much coke to add to each serving of coke and it gets real again.

I did the math once and it came out if you drank three 8oz glasses real quick you could beat the hare.

Something like .08gm per 8oz I think.

Damn that was a long time ago.

Having a flashback, are you?

One of my favorite silent movies, Douglas Fairbanks in "The Mystery of the Flying Fish" featuring that intrepid detective Coke Anyday.

Picked up some Blãk last night out of curiosity. Tastes like Coke with a lot of caramel syrup in it. I taste almost no coffee except traces of that coffee flavoring they add to crappy coffee ice cream.

It's also way too sweet, even for me.

My youngest daughter and I tried a bottle and gave it a unanimous "no thanks". Me, because I just don't like the way it tastes. She, because she is able to detect Splenda at 50 paces and hates it.

I've ordered a Cuba Libre (or two) in Cuba and all I ever got was a straight-up rum and Coke. No lime juice as far as I could tell, but then I'm not much of a rum and Coke fan anyways. Just a foofy name, at least where I was drinking. I'll stick to Mojitos.