Sign in to follow this  
Daemon

Alembics - Lead Solder?

I don't know much about the construction of alembics but am wondering about lead solder? Is it / was it used for the construction of alembics? Considering the age of many alembics used for absinthe (Like the ones used by Jade), is lead being leached into the product? :dribble:

I can't speak to alembics in particular, but copper tubing historically as well as in modern times has been connected via compression couplings - a brass fitting that compresses a flange on the end of the copper tubing to form a seal. This would eliminate the need for solder in that particular portion of the alembic.

Oh yeah! I know what you're talking about. I am having flashbacks to fixing my swamp cooler when I lived in Arizona now.

I shall drink easier.

Now all I have to worry about is that thujone stuff.

No, sweet.

Cato:

Some people put the must in leaden vessels and by boiling reduce it by a quarter, others by a third. There is no doubt that anyone who boiled it down to one-half would be likely to make a better thick form of must and therefore more profitable for use....But, before the must is poured into the boiling-vessels, it will be well that those which are made of lead should be coated inside with good oil and be well-rubbed, and that then the must should be put in....The vessels themselves in which the thickened and boiled-down must is boiled should be of lead rather than of brass; for, in the boiling, brazen vessels throw off copper-rust and spoil the flavour of the preservative....Must of the sweetest possible flavour will be boiled down to a third of its original volume and when boiled down, as I have said above, is called defrutum"

Pliny:

"When copper vessels are coated with stagnum [a lead alloy], the contents have a more agreeable taste and the formation of destructive verdigris is prevented

Welded with lead, right?

You can't weld with lead, only solder.

Welding is done with either an identical or very similar metal, using a flame or an electric arc that melts the base metals along with the filler metal.